Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by zaina94)
    Haha Cambridge is just the risky and unrealistic one for me, but I still want to apply
    I'd be more tha happy to get an offer from any of the other unis

(Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Same goes for me and UCL. I'd love to study at So'ton/LSE and especially at Notts/Bristol
    I think one of the most important things is to apply only to universities you would be happy to accept an offer from
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aluu93)
    Hi,

I was wondering what AAB unis people are applying to for economics as back ups, I'm already applying manchester, but i want one more if possible

Thanks
    Essex, Lancaster, Leicester, RHUL, QMUL are some that I think are AAB/ABB

ReputationRep:
    i am slightly concerned now as i have received my AS levels but got a B in Biology. I want to study economics at Warwick.
    Breakdown:
    Economics (194/200) - A
    Maths/stats (276/300) - A
    Chemistry (263/300) - A
    Biology (234/300) - B ... missed the A by 6 UMS!! - DROPPED THIS SUBJECT

i have 9.5 A*s and 2As at GCSE and want to apply to Warwick for Economics.
    Should I consider applying to Warwick and does not having further maths count against me much?

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAurora)
    Applying to: Oxford, LSE, Warwick, Durham, Bath
    GCSEs: 7A*s, 3As (one mark away from and A* in English Lit, the other two are in Drama and Textiles )
    AS results: AAAA in Economics, Maths, Further Maths and
    Physics.
    Predicted grades: A*A*A in Maths, F.Maths and Physics respectively as far as I know. No clue about Econ.
    I am freaking out now! I know I'm aiming high on unis, but I'm so stupidly stubborn I can't change my own mind. I'm afraid my GCSEs will put me at a disadvantage, especially for Oxford. I know the average student for medicine (nearest competitive course I think) has 70%
    A*s, but they also take into account how you did relative to the rest of your school, and unfortunately my school has lots of other very clever people

Good luck to everyone applying!
    average Oxford med applicant has 88/89% A* at GCSE so if you're going by that you're below avg...but you should be going by that
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by redmouse)
    i am slightly concerned now as i have received my AS levels but got a B in Biology. I want to study economics at Warwick.
    Breakdown:
    Economics (194/200) - A
    Chemistry (263/300) - A

Should I consider applying to Warwick and does not having further maths count against me much?

thanks in advance
    I think you still have a good chance Warwick don't seem to prefer A-level further maths, you can only have it as a fourth subject and they increase the offer for people doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I found an intersting video (which is in my sig).

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs: 7A*s, 3As (one mark away from and A* in English Lit, the other two are in Drama and Textiles )
    AS results: AAAA in Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics.
    Predicted grades: A*A*A in Maths, F.Maths and Physics respectively as far as I know. No clue about Econ.

I am freaking out now! I know I'm aiming high on unis, but I'm so stupidly stubborn I can't change my own mind. I'm afraid my GCSEs will put me at a disadvantage, especially for Oxford. I know the average student for medicine (nearest competitive course I think) has 70% A*s, but they also take into account how you did relative to the rest of your school, and unfortunately my school has lots of other very clever people

Sorry dude, guess you'll have to downgrade to London Met.
    You can find more info here http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/lmbs/subjects/economics/

Good luck and all the best!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by zaina94)
    Sorry dude, guess you'll have to downgrade to London Met.
    You can find more info here http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/lmbs/subjects/economics/

Good luck and all the best!
    CDD Entry requirements :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Not true, I know a girl who got A*A*AA and didn't get a place on the course she wanted. Scary, no?
    A lecturer at one university told me he interviewed someone predicted that, and refused them an standard AAB offer - this was for economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    CDD Entry requirements :rolleyes:
    Abit harsh in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    I think one of the most important things is to apply only to universities you would be happy to accept an offer from
    I concur!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gansta7)
    Yes they will I know SOAS accepted two people who got BBB this year for economics
    Wow, thats good news then. Would that mean they would still give me an offer if I'm predicted AAB? Do you know if the economics department is good there as well?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by redmouse)
    Breakdown:
    Economics (194/200) - A
    Chemistry (263/300) - A

thanks in advance
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gansta7)
    Yes they will I know SOAS accepted two people who got BBB this year for economics
    Source?

ReputationRep:

I am freaking out now! I know I'm aiming high on unis, but I'm so stupidly stubborn I can't change my own mind. I'm afraid my GCSEs will put me at a disadvantage, especially for Oxford. I know the average student for medicine (nearest competitive course I think) has 70% A*s, but they also take into account how you did relative to the rest of your school, and unfortunately my school has lots of other very clever people

Your grades and subjects selection will not get you a place at LSE or UCL if you are planning to study pure economics . Why ?
    1. Your GCSEs are not up to standard esp UCL , believe me , its not good enough !
    2. Your subjects of FM , Math and Phy are not enough coz FM and Math are looked as one , so try add a fourth one and it has to be an A . To get in at UCL or LSE , get predicted at least 2A* though 3A*s give you a better chance coz we had loads of students with 9A*s and predicted 3A*s but got rejected from UCL econ , check the UCL 2011 UCAS thread and u ll understand better ... The competition is ridiculous , i m not trying to scare you but its reality .

From my understanding , the chances of getting into Cambridge are easier than into UCL or LSE coz at least you have a chance of an interview to convince them but the other two , base on your UMS and predictions , the PS , references and a lot more to distinguish you from the rest , so its a lottery as well .

Thats all , and oh good luck !

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm having some trouble deciding where to apply for 2012,
    GCSE:1A*,7A,2B, dist in ICT
    At As I got AABC (Eco,Bio,Maths,Chem)dropped Chemistry
    I just got my predicted grades today and Im expected to get A*A*A
    I was thinking of Nottingham,York and St Andrews I just need to decide on the other 2.
    Also I'm quite worried about Nottingham as I've heard of people being rejected for not having 6A* or more at GCSE.
    Any help would be great!

ReputationRep:

If you worry that much about your GCSEs why don't you just apply to Cambridge instead of Oxford? They don't seem to put as much emphasis on GCSEs as Oxford does...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Investment Banker)
    Your grades and subjects selection will not get you a place at LSE or UCL if you are planning to study pure economics . Why ?
    1. Your GCSEs are not up to standard esp UCL , believe me , its not good enough !
    2. Your subjects of FM , Math and Phy are not enough coz FM and Math are looked as one , so try add a fourth one and it has to be an A . To get in at UCL or LSE , get predicted at least 2A* though 3A*s give you a better chance coz we had loads of students with 9A*s and predicted 3A*s but got rejected from UCL econ , check the UCL 2011 UCAS thread and u ll understand better ... The competition is ridiculous , i m not trying to scare you but its reality .

From my understanding , the chances of getting into Cambridge are easier than into UCL or LSE coz at least you have a chance of an interview to convince them but the other two , base on your UMS and predictions , the PS , references and a lot more to distinguish you from the rest , so its a lottery as well .

Thats all , and oh good luck !
    A guy from my school with relatively low UMS compared to some others guys on this thread (low 90s and a B in one AS) and very few GCSEs at A*, relatively speaking, got in to UCL Economics (4 or 5). Well he got an offer, but he went to Cambridge instead :P. The competition is tough but 7A* should hardly be a reason to not apply. Although, I agree with the other reason.

BTW could you link me last years UCL thread?

ReputationRep:
    On the cambridge website some colleges have "preparatory study at interview" for economics as an assement means. What exactly is that?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Dudeshae)
    Hey,
    I'm having some trouble deciding where to apply for 2012,
    GCSE:1A*,7A,2B, dist in ICT
    At As I got AABC (Eco,Bio,Maths,Chem)dropped Chemistry
    I just got my predicted grades today and Im expected to get A*A*A
    I was thinking of Nottingham,York and St Andrews I just need to decide on the other 2.
    Also I'm quite worried about Nottingham as I've heard of people being rejected for not having 6A* or more at GCSE.
    Any help would be great!
    Out of your three choices Nottingham would definitely be your most risky, so I wouldn't expect an offer from the but you should always have at least one high-risk choice!

Others to consider could be Manchester, Southampton, Birmingham, Exeter, Essex, RHUL, QMUL, Lancaster, Bristol

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.