Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just thought it would be helpful to give people this info (if they havent got it already):

Economics

Apps 2010: 3099
    First year students: 177
    18:1

Economics with Economic History

Apps 2010: 84
    First year students: 3
    28:1

Economics and Economic History

Apps 2010: 231
    First year students: 16
    14:1

Econometrics and Mathematical Economics

Apps 2010: 252
    First year students: 9
    28:1

Mathematics and Economics

Apps 2010: 575
    First year students: 47
    12:1

Mathematics with Economics

Apps 2010: 367
    First year students: 25
    15:1

Source: Undergrad Prospectus

ReputationRep:
    What unis are less bothered with GCSES?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, wondered if anyone could help, please?
    I'm looking to apply for Economics, I got 9 A*s and 1 A at GCSE and AAAA at AS Level in Maths, Psychology, French and English Lit, which I dropped. I'm now doing AS Further Maths too.
    Which universities would it be recommended that I apply for? I'm hoping for some of the higher ones, any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a sticky thread at the top of this economic s forum which should offer you some help.
    You shouldn't rule out the top uni's due t you not have economics as they don't actually require it.
    You have strong GCSE's, what are your UMS like ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by zxh800)
    What, is that supposed to be more competetive than Pure Economics? Really? My school has never gotten anyone into Pure Econ but we've had a couple get into Maths and Econ.
    Oops From what Illmatic posted about the LSE stats it looks like I was getting confused between Maths and Economics and Maths with Economics...

Economics and Economic History is well high :eek2: I think it's because loads of people do it thinking it will be less competitive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Just thought it would be helpful to give people this info (if they havent got it already):

Source: Undergrad Prospectus

Wow! I would have never expected that! Straight econ is less competitive than Economics and economics history??? Still a 18:1 ratio is just crazy. Mathematics and Econ seems quite easy to get it compared to the others
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Straight Economics at LSE through and through. :ahee:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    Straight Economics at LSE through and through. :ahee:
    Not tempted by Mathematics and Economics.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Not tempted by Mathematics and Economics.
    LSE place heavy emphasis on the PS. If you don't talk about Mathematics enough, you have less chance than you do with straight Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Well LSE is one of the most competitive unis in the world(?)

:sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbyyyyyyy)
    Hi, wondered if anyone could help, please?
    I'm looking to apply for Economics, I got 9 A*s and 1 A at GCSE and AAAA at AS Level in Maths, Psychology, French and English Lit, which I dropped. I'm now doing AS Further Maths too.
    Which universities would it be recommended that I apply for? I'm hoping for some of the higher ones, any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

Hey Abby welcome to the forum,

Firstly your academic record is very strong and assuming your AS are in the region of 90+ UMS you stand a good chance at almost anywhere. The AS FM is an added bonus to your application. Perhaps have a look at this. The standard thing to do is to choose 1/2 RRC uni choices. Then another 2 RC choices and one AAB choice as a backup.

For example:

Cambridge
    UCL
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Southampton

OR

Cambridge
    Warwick
    Bath
    Durham
    York

Good luck with your application btw. Its very strong ineed and, providing that the rest of your app is equally strong, you have a good chance anywhere to be honest

EDIT: Just saw that you may also be interested in Econ with French/Econ with a year in Continental Europe (French)

Both Nottingham and Bristol offer these courses and they are slightly less competitive than straight Economics. I'll be applying for Econ with German/year in Germany because being an economist with training in a language opens up soo many opportunities for employment. Consider it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    Wow! I would have never expected that! Straight econ is less competitive than Economics and economics history??? Still a 18:1 ratio is just crazy. Mathematics and Econ seems quite easy to get it compared to the others
    I'm going for Economics and Economic History because I have a genuine interest in the history of economics. I will find it much more interesting than straight Econ and I have an option to transfer to straight econ after the first year (so I've heard) Though it is more competitive than straight Econ, I would say the quality of applicants would be lower as opposed to L101 purely because of the AAB entry requirements(?)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for Economics and Economic History because I have a genuine interest in the history of economics. I will find it much more interesting than straight Econ and I have an option to transfer to straight econ after the first year (so I've heard) Though it is more competitive than straight Econ, I would say the quality of applicants would be lower as opposed to L101 purely because of the AAB entry requirements(?)
    Wow there is a course at LSE that only asks for AAB? Didn't know that. Are you applying for Econ with economic history at other places, too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    Wow there is a course at LSE that only asks for AAB? Didn't know that. Are you applying for Econ with economic history at other places, too?

There are many. Even ABB if I'm correct (Sociology)

No most other places will be straight econ. I've tackled my statement from a british econ history angle and i haeva fair bit of econ theory in it so it shouldn't be a problem hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Abby welcome to the forum,

Firstly your academic record is very strong and assuming your AS are in the region of 90+ UMS you stand a good chance at almost anywhere. The AS FM is an added bonus to your application. Perhaps have a look at this. The standard thing to do is to choose 1/2 RRC uni choices. Then another 2 RC choices and one AAB choice as a backup.

For example:

Cambridge
    UCL
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Southampton

OR

Cambridge
    Warwick
    Bath
    Durham
    York

Good luck with your application btw. Its very strong ineed and, providing that the rest of your app is equally strong, you have a good chance anywhere to be honest

EDIT: Just saw that you may also be interested in Econ with French/Econ with a year in Continental Europe (French)

Both Nottingham and Bristol offer these courses and they are slightly less competitive than straight Economics. I'll be applying for Econ with German/year in Germany because being an economist with training in a language opens up soo many opportunities for employment. Consider it.
    Ah thank you so much! I got 90+ UMS at AS in Maths and Psychology, and then only 80 in French, so I'm going to work really hard on that this year. Thank you for the advice, and good luck with your application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economyst)
    I think there is a sticky thread at the top of this economic s forum which should offer you some help.
    You shouldn't rule out the top uni's due t you not have economics as they don't actually require it.
    You have strong GCSE's, what are your UMS like ?
    Thank you! I got 90+ in Maths, Psychology and English Lit (which I've dropped) and then only 80 in French.

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,

do you think i have a chance to get on the economic history course at lse.

i have 2a* and 8a at gcse. at AS i have A - history, B - economics and Cs in maths and politics. i am dropping politics this year and am predicted AAB (b in maths).

also, i do not really have any relevant work experience which i can mention on my personal statement - will this hinder me in my applications?

thanks for all the help guys.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ugk4life)
    hi guys,

i have 2a* and 8a at gcse. at AS i have A - history, B - economics and Cs in maths and politics. i am dropping politics this year and am predicted AAB (b in maths).

also, i do not really have any relevant work experience which i can mention on my personal statement - will this hinder me in my applications?

In all honesty, it wont be easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    In all honesty, it wont be easy.
    what would you say that is down to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ugk4life)
    hi guys,

LSE looks at many A* and their offers usually include an A* in Maths too. Also, lots of applicants would have taken Further Maths as a 4th A level subject. So... given your predicted grades and GCSE, it's quite tough getting in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.