Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JKing)
    Guysss, only started considering Cambridge (Economics) today. Do you think I may be too late ?
    Esp because I haven't done my personal statement nor visited the uni to see the colleges.
    Took Economics, History, Maths and French(dropped this subject)

Thanks.
    You've got around a month until the application deadline so no I wouldn't say that it's too late.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JKing)
    Guysss, only started considering Cambridge (Economics) today. Do you think I may be too late ?
    Esp because I haven't done my personal statement nor visited the uni to see the colleges.
    Took Economics, History, Maths and French(dropped this subject)

Thanks.
    You have enough time, but you need to start your PS very soon so you can make sure it's not rushed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    You've got around a month until the application deadline so no I wouldn't say that it's too late.

(Original post by Tateco)
    You have enough time, but you need to start your PS very soon so you can make sure it's not rushed
    Thank you. I never thought I'd apply to Oxbridge, therefore have little knowledge about their application processes.n Looks like I'm going to rely on tsr
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JKing)
    Thank you. I never thought I'd apply to Oxbridge, therefore have little knowledge about their application processes.n Looks like I'm going to rely on tsr
    Well a lot of us on here have done a lot of research so ask if you need help

What are your academics like?

ReputationRep:
    Well a lot of us on here have done a lot of research so ask if you need help

What are your academics like?
    Alright, but not as good as everyone on here.
    GCSE 6A*s, 4As
    As Levels 3As, 2Bs

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JKing)
    Alright, but not as good as everyone on here.
    GCSE 6A*s, 4As
    As Levels 3As, 2Bs

They're great, don't be put off by people on here

What are your UMS like for the 3As at AS? (It seems it's one of the more prominent factors Cambridge considers)

ReputationRep:
    They're great, don't be put off by people on here

What are your UMS like for the 3As at AS? (It is one of the more prominent factors Cambridge considers)
    Aw thanks, nice to get some reassurance

Economics 171/200
    History 186/200
    Maths B 236/300 = Resitting two modules
    French B- Didn't check the marks because I hated this subject + dropped it
    The other A was in General Studies, I didn't even check the marks because I didn't care lol.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JKing)

Economics 171/200
    History 186/200
    The other A was in General Studies, I didn't even check the marks because I didn't care lol.
    I'm going to be honest, you effectively have AABB, as they don't care for general studies, and having a B in Maths probably won't go down that well with Cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be honest, you effectively have AABB, as they don't care for general studies, and having a B in Maths probably won't go down that well with Cambridge...

Yeah I've thought about it ( re: the B in Maths). Just that a few people I know claim that Cambridge don't emphasize on Maths as much as LSE and UCL. But yeah, you've got a perfectlyvalid point. Still thinking if I should apply but if I don't it's not the end of the world(esp because it wasn't an original choice)

ReputationRep:
    Oxford and Cambridge applications

I know for Economics you have to take the TSA but what about Cambridge? Who here is planning to take the TSA? What steps do you need to take to get entered for it?

Do any other universities have entrance exams for economics?

Thnks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    How many books are you including altogether? Nice choices! Good luck with your application

I'm currently in this dilemma as well. I was quite sure on York at first, however seeing as its about 5 hours away ( from south-east) I think it might be a bit too far for me.
    So I'm still currently undecided :rolleyes:

Bear in mind also that York is AAB whilst Southampton is AAA at the moment.
    I need to decide by tomorrow!!! :eek:

I always preferred Soton, but I was counting on it as my backup! AAA doesn't sound like a back-up...

(Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Southampton. Cos York= Bad weather and So'ton= Good weather...

Nah but why you wanna go up north, bro?
    I prefer Soton! :cool:
    But York is AAB...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaina94)

But York is AAB...
    Its AAA-AAB isnt it?

To get the AAB offer, I think it has something to do with widening participation i.e parents didnt go uni, under-represented background, sh*t school (im glad I fit in this category)

A girl I knew got an AAB offer from bristol even though a lot of people got A*AA purely cos of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousebudden)
    Oxford and Cambridge applications

I know for Economics you have to take the TSA but what about Cambridge? Who here is planning to take the TSA? What steps do you need to take to get entered for it?

Do any other universities have entrance exams for economics?

Thnks
    It's dependent on colleges. Look at individual college websites.

I need to decide by tomorrow!!! :eek:

I always preferred Soton, but I was counting on it as my backup! AAA doesn't sound like a back-up...

But York is AAB...
    York is actually AAA-AAB for 2012

ReputationRep:
    Which college at Cambridge?
    Pembroke, what about you mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKing)

Economics 171/200
    History 186/200
    LSE and UCL are fussy as in they want the A* in maths whereas some colleges in cambridge will let you off with an A
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Its AAA-AAB isnt it?

To get the AAB offer, I think it has something to do with widening participation i.e parents didnt go uni, under-represented background, sh*t school (im glad I fit in this category)

A girl I knew got an AAB offer from bristol even though a lot of people got A*AA purely cos of this
    Makes me tempted to apply to Bristol

ReputationRep:
    So you're applying before the Oxbridge deadline?

I'm applying to Warwick, UCL, Bath, Bristol and one other. How about you?
    yeah might as well do it soon!

ReputationRep:
    How many books are you including altogether? Nice choices! Good luck with your application

3! 1 book is referred in my personal statement briefly.. and thanks! where you applying?

ReputationRep:
    Its AAA-AAB isnt it?

I don't know really, I just read that off their site and saw it on here, but you're probably right! Since it was AAB-ABB before, if i remember rightly..

Lucky girl.. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Psychotic546)
    York is actually AAA-AAB for 2012
    Guess I'm back to Soton then!

Except I'm put off by the dissertation..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by funkydee)
    Pembroke, what about you mate?
    Emma Pembroke was my second favourite though and I nearly was going for it at one point

I don't know really, I just read that off their site and saw it on here, but you're probably right! Since it was AAB-ABB before, if i remember rightly..

Lucky girl.. :rolleyes:

Guess I'm back to Soton then!

Except I'm put off by the dissertation..
    That's what put me off it too

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.