Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    The negatives of doing it all in one year out-weighed the positives for me All it would result in was a potentially higher from Warwick, the Cambridge college I'm applying to told me I shouldn't even do AS
    fair enough, but I bet you've done an economics A level.
    Imo it would look pretty bad if I didn't do economics or further maths when my school offered both!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    thats fair enough im sure you’ll smash the AS regardless
    what other subjects are you taking, and whats grades did you get in AS? just curious

ReputationRep:
    Ahoy,

Would I have a good chance at Cambridge (Jesus, specifically) or Durham with the following:
    A* prediction in English Lit
    A* prediction in Economics
    A prediction in Maths
    A* prediction in Critical Thinking (I know it's blacklisted, but still, it could be useful)
    An EPQ (on central bank policy actions; no prediction but chances are I'll get predicted either an A* or an A for it)
    And either an A or a B prediction in Further Maths (unconfirmed for now; I started the AS this year so they don't have much of an idea beyond my GCSE grade)
    ?

(GCSEs were 3A*s, 2 Bs and 7 As - I know that's pretty bad, but in my defence I had the beginnings of depression when I started revising).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markleberry)
    Ahoy,

Would I have a good chance at Cambridge (Jesus, specifically) or Durham with the following:
    A prediction in Maths
    A* prediction in Critical Thinking (I know it's blacklisted, but still, it could be useful)
    An EPQ (on central bank policy actions; no prediction but chances are I'll get predicted either an A* or an A for it)
    And either an A or a B prediction in Further Maths (unconfirmed for now; I started the AS this year so they don't have much of an idea beyond my GCSE grade)
    ?

(GCSEs were 3A*s, 2 Bs and 7 As - I know that's pretty bad, but in my defence I had the beginnings of depression when I started revising).
    The maths grades would likely count against you at Cambridge. What are your UMS like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    No one can "quite easily" get into UCL.
    Well obviously I haven't seen the rest of his application, but assuming everything is great then he has a very good chance, particularly since UCL give out a hell of a lot more offers than actual places, so the applicantlace ratio can be misleading.

Of course I'm not undermining UCL or saying that it's easy to get into, but this guy should have a good chance.

Everyone who applied there in my year who were predicted at least 2A*s 2As got an offer from UCL, except one (he got rejected from Notts even, so most likely he had a bad personal statement). Again, not saying that being predicted a certain grade is guarantee of an offer, but I'm just saying that the chances are favourable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    The maths grades would likely count against you at Cambridge.
    I assume they'd be acceptable for Durham, then?
    What are your UMS like?
    Therein lies the problem. My UMS for AS are, quite frankly, sh*t. The only-one I can remember as a score is Economics, which was between 160 and 165 (I'll dig out the sheet tomorrow, but it's downstairs and I don't want to wake my brother), but I can remember the others as percentages - Maths was about 79%, and Lit was just over 90%.

However, fear not, for I have...

ANOTHER EXCUSE!

See, my parents decided to spend most of the academic year renovating 3 houses, one after the other. They're also foster carers, so that resulted in a lot of frantic dashing, which was distracting to say the least. That's pretty much why I did so badly. My referee's going to present as convincing a case as possible for that not to be counted against me, so I'm going to have to rely on my predictions (which I'm pretty much guaranteed to achieve).

Please don't tell me I'm doomed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markleberry)
    Ahoy,

A prediction in Maths
    ?

I would think the relatively low GCSEs will hold you back. I wouldn't expect an offer from Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying to the UCL Economics Course with the Year Abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Please will someone give me some advise.
    GCSE/IGCSE: 9A*s 2A
    AS: AAAAA in Economics Spanish Biology French Maths
    A2 predictions: Spanish (A*) Economics (A) maths (A*) french (A*)

Is it a huge disadvantage not having further maths, is it also bad that i don't have a A* prediction in economics. I think I'm applying to Warwick, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol and Newcastle.

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WalkerPrince)
    Anyone applying to the UCL Economics Course with the Year Abroad?

I was thinking about it but I don't think that I want to interview. It looks like a great course though...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alicatee)
    Please will someone give me some advise.
    GCSE/IGCSE: 9A*s 2A
    AS: AAAAA in Economics Spanish Biology French Maths
    A2 predictions: Spanish (A*) Economics (A) maths (A*) french (A*)

Is it a huge disadvantage not having further maths, is it also bad that i don't have a A* prediction in economics. I think I'm applying to Warwick, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol and Newcastle.

Thanks for any help.
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Got two question guys

In general, if you are predicted 4A*, will the Uni give you an offer on 4a* or an offer on the actual requirements e.g A*AA

Are people leaving a line between paragraphs in there personal statements or squeezing in as much info as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    I've emailed UCL asking specifically where UMS should be declared, but judging by everyone's previous replies, even they don't seem entirely sure

I'll let you guys know if they say anything useful...
    Did you get a response mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somaiyar)
    just go an email back from the UCL Economics department saying they will require UMS marks for this application cycle, the email said:

Thank you for your email regarding application for admission to the
    Economics L100 course at UCL.

I can confirm that we will require the UMS scores in order to consider an
    application and this information should be included in the GCE AS unit
    section of the UCAS form.

Yours sincerely,

Economics Department

it says "in order to consider an application", but surely, if they haven't put it on the UCL website, the UCL prospectus OR the UCL Economics Department website/webpage, then there will be thousands of economics applicants around the country who wont put their UMS scores in the UCAS form. So will they not be considered? I dont know how the hell this will work

I am assuming, that on the UCAS from, where you enter your induvidual module grades, you leave the dropdown box alone, and in the box next to it which says "other", you put something like: " A 90 / 100 UMS" for example, is this what other people are going to do??
    How long did it take for you to get a reply mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousebudden)
    Got two question guys

In general, if you are predicted 4A*, will the Uni give you an offer on 4a* or an offer on the actual requirements e.g A*AA

Are people leaving a line between paragraphs in there personal statements or squeezing in as much info as possible
    Lol dont worry mate, they'll give you a conditional offer based on whatever their standard offer is.

I.e. if the standard offer is A*AA, they'll expect you to get A*AA regardless of what you're predicted.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    The Economics department do require all applicants to include their UMS marks on their UCAS form so that they can make a full assessment of an applicant's application. If you are not going to provide this information on your UCAS form, then please ensure that you send your UMS marks via email to this email account as soon as possible after submitting your application to UCAS so that we can add this information to your application form. Please ensure that you quote your full name, UCAS Personal ID number and course code on all correspondence to ensure that we match up your additional information as quickly as possible.
    End of this debate about UCL. The email was from: "SHS.Faculty Office" <[email protected]>.

ReputationRep:
    cheers confused101 wanted the answer to same question as my chem teacher was worried to predict my A* as she thought they might ask for it haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    End of this debate about UCL. The email was from: "SHS.Faculty Office" <[email protected]>.
    Brilliant, really simplifies things. Cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousebudden)
    Got two question guys

I've asked this question and have been told it's better to leave a line. Tbh look at it in UCAs previw and if there are no lines it looks non-readable, whearas line spacings look more professional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Is this what you're planning to do? Who did you send an email to to get that reply mate?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.