Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tat, you should ask for both this and the other to become a sticky. Or atleast the other one becuase I don't think anyone is going to post in their untill late Oct by which time it might be off the first page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperstars123)
    Does anyone here know whether a straight Economics course or a joint course with Economics and another subject is more competitive? Or which course has more placements in general?

I just read the post on L100 has 180 places in ucl, while L101 has only 20 places - but then again L100 might be more competitive as it gets more applicants. I'm wondering whether Economics or Economics and Finance has more places in most universities, hope someone can enlighten me here! Thanks!
    I can't provide you any numbers but usually joint degrees are less competitive but have less places available. The reason why they are less competitive even though they have less places available is probably due to the fact that it is hard to write a PS that suits the chosen course. Hence most people rather apply to courses where they don't have to try to fit in several subjects. For some places though (MORSE at Warwick for instance) you can even apply with a straight econ PS.

So my advice: Only apply to joint degrees if you apply to the same joint degrees at all unis. I wanted to apply to Economics, Statistics and Finance at UCL instead of straight Econ but I have discarded the idea because my PS was only Econ. As a result the advantage of applying to a less competitive course would have vanished

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to all you guys applying for Cambridge + Oxford, hope you guys get the places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    I can't provide you any numbers but usually joint degrees are less competitive but have less places available. The reason why they are less competitive even though they have less places available is probably due to the fact that it is hard to write a PS that suits the chosen course. Hence most people rather apply to courses where they don't have to try to fit in several subjects. For some places though (MORSE at Warwick for instance) you can even apply with a straight econ PS.

So my advice: Only apply to joint degrees if you apply to the same joint degrees at all unis. I wanted to apply to Economics, Statistics and Finance at UCL instead of straight Econ but I have discarded the idea because my PS was only Econ. As a result the advantage of applying to a less competitive course would have vanished
    Ah thank you! I'm considering whether I should apply to straight Econ in a few unis and Econ and Finance in others. My PS isn't totally done but the draft is only all about Econ, since I haven't learned Finance before and don't know much about it.

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you! I'm considering whether I should apply to straight Econ in a few unis and Econ and Finance in others. My PS isn't totally done but the draft is only all about Econ, since I haven't learned Finance before and don't know much about it.
    What universities are you considering?

ReputationRep:
    What universities are you considering?
    York, Nottingham and Durham are the decided ones. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    York, Nottingham and Durham are the decided ones. What about you?
    Those are great choices! Well if the joint courses are Econ&Finance then a straight economics PS might fit because finance is largely related to Economics. If it was Stats, Econ and Finance then it'd be more difficult.

My choices are Oxford for E&M, Warwick, Durham, St. Andrews and LSE

ReputationRep:
    Those are great choices! Well if the joint courses are Econ&Finance then a straight economics PS might fit because finance is largely related to Economics. If it was Stats, Econ and Finance then it'd be more difficult.

My choices are Oxford for E&M, Warwick, Durham, St. Andrews and LSE
    Wow your choices are very good too! Hmm, do you by any chance know what topics of Econ is related to Finance? I'd appreciate a few examples if you know any, because that way I can describe more on it in my PS. I don't mind doing a straight Econ course or Econ&Finance, because I'm not that interested in taking extra history, politics, philosophy, or maths modules that can be combined with Econ.

ReputationRep:
    Wow your choices are very good too! Hmm, do you by any chance know what topics of Econ is related to Finance? I'd appreciate a few examples if you know any, because that way I can describe more on it in my PS. I don't mind doing a straight Econ course or Econ&Finance, because I'm not that interested in taking extra history, politics, philosophy, or maths modules that can be combined with Econ.
    Well finance is funds management, i.e. everything that is about risk, lending money, borrowing money, financing assets, leverage effect etc. So if you want to relate it to Econ you could try to find a topic that is about debts and the risk of it etc. There are many possibilities
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by economyst)
    Tat, you should ask for both this and the other to become a sticky. Or atleast the other one becuase I don't think anyone is going to post in their untill late Oct by which time it might be off the first page.
    I've already sorted it out with the mods, they are going to sticky it in October

ReputationRep:
    what unis are good to apply to with poor GCSE's but good A-level grades/predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacky23)
    what unis are good to apply to with poor GCSE's but good A-level grades/predictions?
    depends on what ur actual gcse's and a level grades predictions are!

ReputationRep:
    gcses: no A*'s. 6 As, 1 b and 2 C's. A-level: 4 A* predictions (4 A's AS)

ReputationRep:
    what A-levels you taking? And wow you really upped your game for A-Levels!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's hard, the top 5 always consider GCSEs to a certain extent (wrongly IMO) but there is no harm in trying 1/2 of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee)
    what A-levels you taking? And wow you really upped your game for A-Levels!
    physics, maths, economics, electronics.

lol I know right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    It's hard, the top 5 always consider GCSEs to a certain extent (wrongly IMO) but there is no harm in trying 1/2 of them.
    what are you classing as the top 5?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    what are you classing as the top 5?
    Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick

ReputationRep:
    Hey does anyone know how respected the following books are to the unis in an economics PS (cos I know some like Freakonomics are not. Also I know that these are all quite well known so its not entirely impressive that I have read them, but it is about what you learnt from them after all)

1) Free lunch
    2) The Undercover economist
    3) The Armchair economist
    4) A very short introduction to economics
    5) Economics for dummies (lol- it did help a lot though!)

Might read another one/or two, and then pick the best ones to mention in my PS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    Hey does anyone know how respected the following books are to the unis in an economics PS (cos I know some like Freakonomics are not. Also I know that these are all quite well known so its not entirely impressive that I have read them, but it is about what you learnt from them after all)

1) Free lunch
    2) The Undercover economist
    3) The Armchair economist
    4) A very short introduction to economics
    5) Economics for dummies (lol- it did help a lot though!)

Might read another one/or two, and then pick the best ones to mention in my PS
    Read the ones you enjoy the most. They don't expect you to read 'Wealth of Nations' or 'Principles of Economics' by Marshall. A tutor at Oxford recommended 'The Armchair Economist' and 'The Undercover economist'. They won't be impressed by any books you read, they just want to see that you read outside of your syllabus .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.