The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nightmare91
I've heard the same thing tbh. But they are ranked fairly high in the economics table? I just know that it isn't very quantitative which is not very typical for a 21st century economics course...

Well according to the Times Good university guide, Durham has a 2.7 research quality rating, which is rather worrying.
I am going to be predicted a BBC or a BCC.

Does anyone know any good unis for eco that meet the predictions. In AS I got Eco (B), Psych (B), Bus (E).

However this year I have also picked up Biology.....I cant do match as my timetable clashs, I thought about doing it privately but it gonna be too hard.

Because I know Business is a really weak subject.

My GCSES are also alright AAABBBBCCCD
Original post by VCR
Ok guys, I need your help.

On my UCAS form, I've currently got:

Cambridge
LSE
UCL
Warwick
Bath

I've been told that this combination is too risky, and that I should replace one of either LSE, UCL or Warwick with another insurance choice. Thoughts on how I should go forward?

Oh, and I should've mentioned that I don't want to remove LSE or UCL from the list, and also that I'm currently most keen on replacing Bath with a "proper" insurance choice.

whats your grades like? AS ums and gcses and predictions?
Reply 3123
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by VCR
A2 Predictions:
Further Maths: A*
Maths: A*
Economics: A*
French: A*

AS:
Economics 186/200
Further Maths: 497/500
French: 200/200

GCSEs:
10 A*s

So I'm hoping those put me in with a good chance. I've heard of people with similar, and better, grades getting 4 or more rejections though due to over-competitive choices though, which is making me worry a little!

Your choices are totally fine! With those grades you should get at least one offer. Also I would only replace Bath if you would really want to study there if that was your only offer. It doesn't make sense to apply to a university that you don't want to go to just for the sake of having an insurance :smile:
Original post by VCR
A2 Predictions:

AS:
Economics 186/200

GCSEs:
10 A*s

So I'm hoping those put me in with a good chance. I've heard of people with similar, and better, grades getting 4 or more rejections though due to over-competitive choices though, which is making me worry a little!

well if you put your UMS on the application and have a good personal statement you have a very good chance! if i had grades as good as yours id be applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham!
Reply 3126
Original post by nightmare91
Your choices are totally fine! With those grades you should get at least one offer. Also I would only replace Bath if you would really want to study there if that was your only offer. It doesn't make sense to apply to a university that you don't want to go to just for the sake of having an insurance :smile:

This is absolutely what I've been thinking. I don't think it's worth basing my uni choices on what I think is the safest combo; I kinda want to have a shot at the best options above all else.

Original post by funkydee
well if you put your UMS on the application and have a good personal statement you have a very good chance! if i had grades as good as yours id be applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham!

haha, cheers. Best of luck with your application too! :smile:
Reply 3127
Original post by VCR
A2 Predictions:

AS:
Economics 186/200

GCSEs:
10 A*s

Which college at Cambridge are you thinking of? :smile:
Reply 3128
Is this a risky combo guys lse, Oxford, ucl , queen Mary, soas
Original post by smoky188

well it depends on ur as ums, a2 predictions and gcses!
Reply 3130
Original post by Tateco

Original post by Tateco
Which college at Cambridge are you thinking of? :smile:

I've just had a last-minute panic and switched from Trinity Hall to Gonville & Caius. You?
Reply 3131
Sorry forgot to say predictions a*a*a*a Chemistry, physics maths econ . As results are aaaa virtually all hitting 90/89 ums % wise
Reply 3132
Original post by VCR
I've just had a last-minute panic and switched from Trinity Hall to Gonville & Caius. You?

Nice :smile: Emma for now but still panicking too :s-smilie:

Original post by smoky188

No.
Does any one know the different between BA and BSc?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 3134
Original post by kingshan16
Does any one know the different between BA and BSc?

Thanks in advance.

Generally BSc is more maths based, BA is more essay based. (This doesn't count for Oxbridge though, all their undergraduate degrees are BA)
Original post by Tateco
Generally BSc is more maths based, BA is more essay based. (This doesn't count for Oxbridge though, all their undergraduate degrees are BA)

Thank you very much mate,

would you have any idea if I can still apply to a BSc Uni if I did not do A - Level maths?

Because plymouth university is a BSc in economics, I am thinking of applying there but I am unsure I can if I do not have a level maths?
What would you guys say is key to securing a place at Warwick?
Reply 3137
Original post by kingshan16
Thank you very much mate,

would you have any idea if I can still apply to a BSc Uni if I did not do A - Level maths?

Because plymouth university is a BSc in economics, I am thinking of applying there but I am unsure I can if I do not have a level maths?

Pretty sure you can go to Plymouth without A-level maths (It's usually something like the top 15-20 that require A level Maths), check the entry requirements to be sure

Original post by -Illmatic-
What would you guys say is key to securing a place at Warwick?

Personal statement, AS levels, predictions and GCSEs, probably in something like that order considering everyone has the AS levels and predictions, they say they place a lot of weighting on PSs...
Original post by Tateco
Pretty sure you can go to Plymouth without A-level maths (It's usually something like the top 15-20 that require A level Maths), check the entry requirements to be sure

Personal statement, AS levels, predictions and GCSEs, probably in something like that order considering everyone has the AS levels and predictions, they say they place a lot of weighting on PSs...

Again thank you very much mate, they dont request it........but yh thanks again. Would rep you again but it wont let me lol. :s-smilie:
Hey does anyone know if it is only Investment banks that look at the so called 'target unis' much more favourably. In other words, do other firms do the same thing. In order to get a good job in finance, would it severely damage ones chances if they do not come from a target uni?

Latest

Trending

Trending