Economics: A*
French: A*

AS:
Economics 186/200
Further Maths: 497/500
French: 200/200

GCSEs:
10 A*s

So I'm hoping those put me in with a good chance. I've heard of people with similar, and better, grades getting 4 or more rejections though due to over-competitive choices though, which is making me worry a little!

Mans absoultely merked exams! alie
Reply 3141
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Hey does anyone know if it is only Investment banks that look at the so called 'target unis' much more favourably. In other words, do other firms do the same thing. In order to get a good job in finance, would it severely damage ones chances if they do not come from a target uni?

It's only for FO IB roles where the target 6 are 'important; and you can still get in from other universities providing you do well.
Reply 3142
Original post by VCR
I've just had a last-minute panic and switched from Trinity Hall to Gonville & Caius. You?

Which maths modules did you do btw?
Original post by Tateco
It's only for FO IB roles where the target 6 are 'important; and you can still get in from other universities providing you do well.

so careers on the same level as financial traders, brokers, i.e. other jobs within finance with a good pay (sorry it sounds blunt but I am not going to beat around the bush lol) are open to people fromnon top 5 unis then?

And if so, would non-top 10 be pushing it? thanks :smile:
Hi guys could you weigh up my chances for applying to economics at Durham , Sheffield , Nottingham . Predicted A*A*A in history , politics and economics .And PPe at Warwick and Oxford .

AS A in history 100% , 92% politics A , Economics A 88% , Maths B 78% .

Gcses 6A* 3As and and an A* in IGCSE maths.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3145
Original post by Tateco

what are these target 6 then?

oxbridge, lse, ucl, warwick....?
Reply 3146
Original post by zxh800

Original post by zxh800
Which maths modules did you do btw?

C1, C2, C3, S1 and M1.
100, 98, 100, 100 and 99 respectively. I wish I'd done more last year to be honest, but I didn't have the option unfortunately.
Reply 3147
Original post by Tomatochuckers
so careers on the same level as financial traders, brokers, i.e. other jobs within finance with a good pay (sorry it sounds blunt but I am not going to beat around the bush lol) are open to people fromnon top 5 unis then?

And if so, would non-top 10 be pushing it? thanks :smile:

Obviously you want to go to the best uni possible, but if you have a 1st from a university in a top university with a good 'brand name' then you can chase after whatever job you want, it may be a bit more difficult but it's certainly not off limits at all. Only the very top graduate schemes really discriminate against the university, once you get in I think it matters a lot less.
Reply 3148
Original post by jacky23

ICL

But all of this stuff is just random hype, you should just do the best degree you can and then worry about all that later
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jacky23

Yes I think the 6th is between Nott/Durham even tho Durham's course isn't the most quantitive
Reply 3150
Original post by VCR
C1, C2, C3, S1 and M1.
100, 98, 100, 100 and 99 respectively. I wish I'd done more last year to be honest, but I didn't have the option unfortunately.

Phwoar, congratulations mate.
Original post by Tateco
Obviously you want to go to the best uni possible, but if you have a 1st from a university in a top university with a good 'brand name' then you can chase after whatever job you want, it may be a bit more difficult but it's certainly not off limits at all. Only the very top graduate schemes really discriminate against the university, once you get in I think it matters a lot less.

hmmm- Do you think it is applying to 5 of the unis in the top 7, and then reapplying if you get rejected from all of them. I do
Reply 3152
where does bristol, bath and nottingham come in the ranks then?
I have a bad feeling about applying to Edinburgh, but I guess it's worth throwing up a hail Mary among my five choices. My personal statement is going to be awful but my grades look good.
Just apply to universities that you believe will give you a great education and one that you will enjoy. People should not focus so much on rankings, after a while it becomes an unhealthy obsession :tongue:
What Cam colleges everyone applying to ?
Reply 3156
Any ideas where to put UMS scores yet? I'm still unsure about doing it on the form...
Reply 3157
Original post by jamiepango
Just apply to universities that you believe will give you a great education and one that you will enjoy. People should not focus so much on rankings, after a while it becomes an unhealthy obsession :tongue:

This.
I'm emailing my UMS to UCL the day I apply.
Original post by Tremmel Smith
Hi guys could you weigh up my chances for applying to economics at Durham , Sheffield , Nottingham . Predicted A*A*A in history , politics and economics .And PPe at Warwick and Oxford .

AS A in history 100% , 92% politics A , Economics A 88% , Maths B 78% .

Gcses 6A* 3As and and an A* in IGCSE maths.

You're in pretty much the same situation as me, I got 5As at AS and A*A*A*A predictions, 6A*s, 4As at GCSE. I'm applying for PPE at Oxford, Durham, Warwick, York and Manchester. I would advise you to apply for PPE or at least two of those subjects for all your unis, so there is consistency in your statement. Alternatively apply for E&M.

But I think your chances are good, obviously most of it comes down to the TSA and the interview. Loads of people get in with 5 or less A*s at GCSE. Which college are you thinking about?

Latest

Trending

Trending