Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Any one sent of their application ?

ReputationRep:
    People may find this link useful (though most already probs know about this)

Econ 2012 rankings

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?s=Economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economyst)
    I am a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooong way off of doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economyst)
    Yup Last night, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeparlefrançais)
    Hey guys I need a wee bit of advice on where to apply for economics this year.

First off, my AS didnt go brilliantly :|

I got BBBD in Economics, French, Maths and Chem

Both Economics and French are pending remarks so fingers crossed they go up! (1 UMS and 2 UMS off the next grade respectively)

I've also managed to presuade my college maths teacher to teach me AS and A2 Further Mathematics and I'm coping really well with it at the moment!

I've dropped Chemistry and I'm getting predicted grades of A*AAB/A*AAA/AAAA in Maths, FM, Economics and French

Most likely AAAA

I'm planning on making an exceptional statement and i'm looking at places such as Bristol (study in Europe) and Nottingham (with French)

What are my chances...

Amy
    Hi,
    I think your predicted grades are massively over inflated.
    To get an a* prediction i feel its only fair if you averaged above 90% at as level. its unfair on others. but uni admission tutors will laugh...

i got all a's (solid ones) and my predictions are virtually the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    Hi,
    To get an a* prediction i feel its only fair if you averaged above 90% at as level. its unfair on others. but uni admission tutors will laugh...

I agree with you aswell, in fact our economics department wanted an 95 average to get an A*, and maths wanted 95 average over C1 and C2. I then find it ridiculous how people can get predicted over what they got in AS, bearing in mind A2 is harder...

But don't worry you will still stand out more as your AS results will be better, and unviersities know some schools overinflate...

ReputationRep:
    Sent off my application to my school, once they add reference and predicted grades then off it goes!

Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Notts and Durham

ReputationRep:
    Personal Statement is getting me stressed out. Difficult to know how to begin...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    Personal Statement is getting me stressed out. Difficult to know how to begin...
    The advice I was given, if you are struggling with the intro write the main section first, and then the introduction....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    The extra curricular stuff is easier to start off with.

Just plan out what you want to say in your PS overall and then you can write a few sentences for each point you want to include.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    Hi,

I agree but providing she doesnt apply to uni's that ask for UMS scores and providing her remarks come back as A's (that'll be AABD) how will a uni know if she got a low A grade 81% for example or a solid A grade 87%

I've always wondered that...

ReputationRep:
    A bit of signalling tends to go on. Those who have done very well in their exams have referees who'll write (he/she got 300/300 in Further Maths AS or averaged 98% in AS Physics or whatever) and those who got low A's won't get it mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    A bit of signalling tends to go on. Those who have done very well in their exams have referees who'll write (he/she got 300/300 in Further Maths AS or averaged 98% in AS Physics or whatever) and those who got low A's won't get it mentioned.
    Understood

So if you do get predicted an A* with low at AS and your referee doesnt mention how you averaged, unis will feel as if something fishy is going on? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee)
    well the unis are gonna see her AS grades, but I was thinking the exact same thing!
    Yeah I know, but this is an echo to all the previous years where you didn't have to put in your AS grades for modules you're retaking, so essentially predicted grades meant everything.

The corrupt system of predicted grades is slightly fairer now that AS grades have to be cashed in, but I know many people who got screwed over before by their predicted grades, knowing that many get put up, sometimes even by two grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    While I do agree with you, I know that could be a little unfair - my referee wasn't going to put my UMS in my reference until I told them to...

Hopefully others with good UMS will remind their referee to do the same, just in case

ReputationRep:
    Any1 here applying to Warwick's Econ and industrial organization?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard of Heriot-Watt university? It's no.4 on guardian league table for economics and it only requires like 300 UCAS points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soldiersixteen)
    Has anyone heard of Heriot-Watt university? It's no.4 on guardian league table for economics and it only requires like 300 UCAS points
    Obv wrong.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by soldiersixteen)
    Shows how **** the guardian league tables are.

ReputationRep:
    As I really want to go to City should I apply for 2 courses there?
    Economics + Economics/Accountancy

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.