Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People who are applying to Oxford/Cambridge

Are you applying to all your Universities when you apply to Oxford/Cambridge or adding the other four on track at a later date?

Also, does anyone know if Oxford requires UMS scores the same way which Cambridge does?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soldiersixteen)
    Has anyone heard of Heriot-Watt university? It's no.4 on guardian league table for economics and it only requires like 300 UCAS points
    4th in Scotland, I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousebudden)
    People who are applying to Oxford/Cambridge

Are you applying to all your Universities when you apply to Oxford/Cambridge or adding the other four on track at a later date?

Also, does anyone know if Oxford requires UMS scores the same way which Cambridge does?

Thanks
    If you're grades are oxbridge level, universities will realise, even if you try to hide it.

Oxford don't ask for UMS, from what I've been told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    If you're grades are oxbridge level, universities will realise, even if you try to hide it.

Oxford don't ask for UMS, from what I've been told.
    Thanks for the reply. I wasn't necessarily thinking of hiding that I'm applying to Oxbridge just seeing what most people were doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    Of course, many people with "Oxbridge level" grades do not necessarily apply to Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    For example, if you applied to a Uni with AAB entry requirements with A*A*A predictions are they likely to give you an offer of AAB?

Also, if your predicted grades are slightly lower then the entry requirements is it still possible to get an offer?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For example, if you applied to a Uni with AAB entry requirements with A*A*A predictions are they likely to give you an offer of AAB?

Also, if your predicted grades are slightly lower then the entry requirements is it still possible to get an offer?

Thanks
    They'll give you their standard offer which would be AAB. Sometimes Unis give out offers harder than their standard offer but that's nothing to do with predicted grades. That's more to do with them not being too sure about letting you in. So they then give you a hard offer so that if you meet it, you'll deserve to get in.

As for having lower predicted grades than the entry requirements, then depending on the uni it's looking like a rejection unless your personal statement is amazing. This is mainly because a lot of courses are oversubscribed so people with predictions much higher than the standard offer will be applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    They'll give you their standard offer which would be AAB. Sometimes Unis give out offers harder than their standard offer but that's nothing to do with predicted grades. That's more to do with them not being too sure about letting you in. So they then give you a hard offer so that if you meet it, you'll deserve to get in.

As for having lower predicted grades than the entry requirements, then depending on the uni it's looking like a rejection unless your personal statement is amazing. This is mainly because a lot of courses are oversubscribed so people with predictions much higher than the standard offer will be applying.
    what if ur predictions are exactly the same as the entry requirements (i.e A*AA)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    what if ur predictions are exactly the same as the entry requirements (i.e A*AA)?
    They'd look at your application holistically. Obviously people with higher grades and/or predictions would look better but your PS, reference and GCSEs to a lesser extent could potentially make up for it. Predictions usually hint towards your AS grades, so from a purely academic sense unis obviously would prefer candidates with higher predictions (if from an institution with reliable predictions). But yea, meeting the entry requirements with your predictions would be a minimum expectation i'd say.

ReputationRep:

Thanks a lot for the reply mate. Where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the reply mate. Where are you applying?
    Cambridge, UCL, LSE (Maths and Econ) plus 2 more which I'm not too sure about. Maybe Warwick and one other uni as back up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cambridge, UCL, LSE (Maths and Econ) plus 2 more which I'm not too sure about. Maybe Warwick and one other uni as back up.
    When you say back up how far are you willing to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    When you say back up how far are you willing to go?
    I honestly don't know. I've always thought I'd go for the top 4 out of the top 6 and then fill the last spot with somewhere I wouldn't go anyway given 4 rejections (as I'd rather take a gap year). However, I'm not too sure anymore.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I honestly don't know. I've always thought I'd go for the top 4 out of the top 6 and then fill the last spot with somewhere I wouldn't go anyway given 4 rejections (as I'd rather take a gap year). However, I'm not too sure anymore.
    Me either.

That's why my choices are now 3 of the top 5 and then another 2 from the top 10, and then that way I am more likely to at least get one offer so can make the decision between a gap year/uni.

ReputationRep:
    They'd look at your application holistically. Obviously people with higher grades and/or predictions would look better but your PS, reference and GCSEs to a lesser extent could potentially make up for it. Predictions usually hint towards your AS grades, so from a purely academic sense unis obviously would prefer candidates with higher predictions (if from an institution with reliable predictions). But yea, meeting the entry requirements with your predictions would be a minimum expectation i'd say.
    (Holistically- looking at the different parts of the whole application)
    Right, thanks man just need to try and :w00t: them in other ways

ReputationRep:
    Thats what i thought that, but then whats the point of wasting a space on a uni that you won't even go to anyway? I say if you want to go to a top 6, in order to increase your chance, apply to many of them.
    Personally if I get 5 rejections, I'll just reapply the year after, when I'll be better than I am now. If I don't get in then, then I will be like :nooo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thats what i thought that, but then whats the point of wasting a space on a uni that you won't even go to anyway? I say if you want to go to a top 6, in order to increase your chance, apply to many of them.
    Personally if I get 5 rejections, I'll just reapply the year after, when I'll be better than I am now. If I don't get in then, then I will be like :nooo:
    Yeah but what if you decide you don't want a gap year? It's all well and good thinking you'll have a gap year, but realistically you will just be sitting around not doing much for a year (unless you get a job), and even if you get a job then all your friends will be at uni so you will have no social life... By having one, less competitive choice you are more likely to have a choice, rather than be forced into a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but what if you decide you don't want a gap year? It's all well and good thinking you'll have a gap year, but realistically you will just be sitting around not doing much for a year (unless you get a job), and even if you get a job then all your friends will be at uni so you will have no social life... By having one, less competitive choice you are more likely to have a choice, rather than be forced into a gap year.
    It differs from person to person. The future is more important for me than the now at the moment. I got a lot of advice from a variety of sources you included, and the conclusion i have come to is:

You can still have a very good job from a 9th/10th university as long as you do very well in university and make yourself stand out.....
    But what if many people from the top 6 also perform very well and do things to make them stand out... Considering I am paying 9K a year, I would therefore rather go to a top 6 university.

Yes tbh a lot of my gap year will be devoted to eating/sleeping/playing fifa etc. but I am sure there will be many other useful things you can do to show certain skills, (part time job/ more extra reading/ courses/business/ volunteering/ sport- haven't looked into it yet)- all of this is considering you didn't get into a scheme.

Most of my friends want to do med/engineering so I probs wouldn't see them anyway. I probably will get all rejections, but personally a gap year would not be too bad. The real problem would be getting rejected after taking a gap year.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It differs from person to person. The future is more important for me than the now at the moment. I got a lot of advice from a variety of sources you included, and the conclusion i have come to is:

You can still have a very good job from a 9th/10th university as long as you do very well in university and make yourself stand out.....
    But what if many people from the top 6 also perform very well and do things to make them stand out... Considering I am paying 9K a year, I would therefore rather go to a top 6 university.

Yes tbh a lot of my gap year will be devoted to eating/sleeping/playing fifa etc. but I am sure there will be many other useful things you can do to show certain skills, (part time job/ more extra reading/ courses/business/ volunteering/ sport- haven't looked into it yet)- all of this is considering you didn't get into a scheme.

Most of my friends want to do med/engineering so I probs wouldn't see them anyway. I probably will get all rejections, but personally a gap year would not be too bad. The real problem would be getting rejected after taking a gap year.
    Yeah I'm still thinking about it all to be honest!

And I think you are much more likely to get an offer for a top 5 after getting achieved A2 grades, especially if they're something like A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm still thinking about it all to be honest!

And I think you are much more likely to get an offer for a top 5 after getting achieved A2 grades, especially if they're something like A*A*A
    Exactly the reason why I am not confident is because my AS grades are a lousy AAAB (and an extra B in CT) with only maths higher than 90 UMS.
    I am acting as though anyone can do a gap year and re-apply but no, this would only be possible with good grades (A*A*AA or above). If the grades are not too that standard, I have no idea what I will do, but don't need to think about that now.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.