Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I doubt GCSE's should matter that much, I've looked at various prospectuses and they mainly ask for A in GCSE Maths or a B in English Language.

Main thing I reckon are the A levels and the Personal Statement, anyways, judging by everyone's grades, attitude etc. on here.. I would assume that all of you guys are going to get into a pretty good uni to study Economics
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    I doubt GCSE's should matter that much, I've looked at various prospectuses and they mainly ask for A in GCSE Maths or a B in English Language.

Main thing I reckon are the A levels and the Personal Statement, anyways, judging by everyone's grades, attitude etc. on here.. I would assume that all of you guys are going to get into a pretty good uni to study Economics
    Fingers crossed!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)

Thanks for the motivator are you applying for economics in 2012 too?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, posted right at the start of this thread :P

Got two high A's in Economics and Politics, but ended up getting a B in Statistics.. Wasn't too happy, but I missed out 2 questions, so ending up with a B was still pretty good

Bath, Bristol, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham.. I'd love to get into one of those uni's. Fingers crossed I can get an atleast 2 A*'s with a lot of work put it.

Oh I picked: History, Maths, Economics and Politics.

I think someone was talking about Bath previously and their course for Economics is very good. They offer year placements in different places like within the government, banks etc.. The lovely lady I was talking to on my UCAS day mentioned that you do get paid and they vary from £15k to £42k.

With tuiton fees going up, I wouldn't necessarily mind doing just that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)

But if more and more people are getting the 'top grades' at A Level and as a personal statement is ultimately subjective, it makes sense for universities to care about GCSEs. It is evident that LSE do and Durham have done in the past. They used to specify an A* in Mathematics and English Language but have since taken it down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)

Got two high A's in Economics and Politics, but ended up getting a B in Statistics.. Wasn't too happy, but I missed out 2 questions, so ending up with a B was still pretty good

Bath, Bristol, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham.. I'd love to get into one of those uni's. Fingers crossed I can get an atleast 2 A*'s with a lot of work put it.

I think someone was talking about Bath previously and their course for Economics is very good. They offer year placements in different places like within the government, banks etc.. The lovely lady I was talking to on my UCAS day mentioned that you do get paid and they vary from £15k to £42k.

I know someone who did a placement one year at Bath and was paid £80k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_cat)
    Thats true AS grades, personal statement and predictedgrades must be more important than GCSE's
    That is true but the relative difference in importance is the real question.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)

I really really like the look of Bath and am definitely applying there as one of my top choices. Do you happen to know if the sandwich course is more competitive or not? I'm a bit worried if I apply for that it'll be harder to get in
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SPMS)
    They used to specify an A* in Mathematics and English Language but have since taken it down
    Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Seriously?
    Yeah seriously.
    However, it was obviously a very relaxed rule as there were plenty of anomalies.
    Hence since taking that down.

ReputationRep:
    I really really like the look of Bath and am definitely applying there as one of my top choices. Do you happen to know if the sandwich course is more competitive or not? I'm a bit worried if I apply for that it'll be harder to get in
    I would email them and ask the Bath Economics department directly or ring them, the latter is usally a better indicator.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SPMS)
    Yeah seriously.
    However, it was obviously a very relaxed rule as there were plenty of anomalies.
    Hence since taking that down.
    I've never seen anything even similar to asking for A* English language GCSE, that's very strange :L I posted a comment on your will I get an offer blog, I'm interested to see your response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPMS)
    But if more and more people are getting the 'top grades' at A Level and as a personal statement is ultimately subjective, it makes sense for universities to care about GCSEs. It is evident that LSE do and Durham have done in the past. They used to specify an A* in Mathematics and English Language but have since taken it down
    That I wasn't aware of.. No one cannot be too sure of what the universities are actually looking for, of course they're looking for amazing personal statements, great grades (both A2 and GCSE).. But is it really enough sometimes?

I remember one girl in my school, she's going university this year and was a straight A grade student, she's predicted A*,A* and A and got into Nottingham University. I'm not saying Nottingham is a bad uni, it's a very up and coming university, but I would of have thought that someone of those grades would of got into Oxbridge.

Quite possibly they're looking for those who've done additional relationed work experience or beyond the call of duty?
    I'm going to try and boost my chances by trying to read more Economic related books over the summer to impress them about my knowledge and passion for Economics. Sounds like a safe bet I hope
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    That I wasn't aware of.. No one cannot be too sure of what the universities are actually looking for, of course they're looking for amazing personal statements, great grades (both A2 and GCSE).. But is it really enough sometimes?

I remember one girl in my school, she's going university this year and was a straight A grade student, she's predicted A*,A* and A and got into Nottingham University. I'm not saying Nottingham is a bad uni, it's a very up and coming university, but I would of have thought that someone of those grades would of got into Oxbridge.

Quite possibly they're looking for those who've done additional relationed work experience or beyond the call of duty?
    I'm going to try and boost my chances by trying to read more Economic related books over the summer to impress them about my knowledge and passion for Economics. Sounds like a safe bet I hope
    I don't think it has anything to do with work experience, the fact is there just simply isn't enough places at these university any more. I went to a cambridge conference and an economics proffessor there seem saddened at the fact they have to turn away (his words) so many perfect candidates because there simply aren't enough places. So yes, it is about making your personal statement as good as it can be but there is still an element of lottery to it, the main thing is to make sure you tick all the boxes so they have no reason to reject you, at least that way you are put into the draw.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it has anything to do with work experience, the fact is there just simply isn't enough places at these university any more. I went to a cambridge conference and an economics proffessor there seem saddened at the fact they have to turn away (his words) so many perfect candidates because there simply aren't enough places. So yes, it is about making your personal statement as good as it can be but there is still an element of lottery to it, the main thing is to make sure you tick all the boxes so they have no reason to reject you, at least that way you are put into the draw.
    It is very much so 'luckk of the draw' with the top 5 unis I agree, however if you do tick all the boxes as you say there is no real reason for you not to be hitting a top 11 university. Which I know it can seem like with those grades etc. if it was any other subject (bar some obviously) they probably would be getting into those top 5 universities but over the last five years or so Economics has shot up in competitiveness in realtivity to almost all other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen anything even similar to asking for A* English language GCSE, that's very strange :L I posted a comment on your will I get an offer blog, I'm interested to see your response
    I know I even asked Durham University via an email, obviously them not knowing who I was, but their response at the time was rather odd. I can't remember the exact content. I was guessing Durham's course is BA hence less quanititative conent.. some aspect around that anyway.

I have replied by the way to T ... if that is you? Remember it is just my opinion
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SPMS)
    I know I even asked Durham University via an email, obviously them not knowing who I was, but their response at the time was rather odd. I can't remember the exact content. I was guessing Durham's course is BA hence less quanititative conent.. some aspect around that anyway.

I have replied by the way to T ... if that is you? Remember it is just my opinion
    Thanks for the reply. I agree with your take on Cambridge (and the reasons you came up with were exactly what made me decide on it). I don't think I am in a position to take the full A2 in one year, I feel it would be a bit too much and may compromise my other grades. (However I do really want to take a gap year and if I were to do this I would probably self-teach A2 further maths in the time I have between schemes). Although Nottingham do like their GCSEs I feel it is worth the risk as my grades should hopefully stand out and hopefully they'll be able to see past the 'poor' GCSEs (they certainly did so with many applicants this year).

The reason I said not York or Birmingham was because I have already considered these two. York is a bit too far away and I don't like the idea of living in Birmingham. Do you think it would be stupid of me to apply to universities like LSE and Warwick even as a long shot, would it make more sense for me to apply to somewhere like Bristol (less competitive, good course and they like state school students that have achieved well). I could even go completely crazy and apply to Cambridge, Warwick, Bath, Bristol and Nottingham (I know this would be highly risky but I don't really see myself anywhere else and am happy to take a gap year. Not sure if I could handle five rejections though.)

Thanks for the advice though, it's good to hear an unbiased opinion on a university selection, cheers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SPMS)
    By the way, where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. I agree with your take on Cambridge (and the reasons you came up with were exactly what made me decide on it). I don't think I am in a position to take the full A2 in one year, I feel it would be a bit too much and may compromise my other grades. (However I do really want to take a gap year and if I were to do this I would probably self-teach A2 further maths in the time I have between schemes). Although Nottingham do like their GCSEs I feel it is worth the risk as my grades should hopefully stand out and hopefully they'll be able to see past the 'poor' GCSEs (they certainly did so with many applicants this year).

The reason I said not York or Birmingham was because I have already considered these two. York is a bit too far away and I don't like the idea of living in Birmingham. Do you think it would be stupid of me to apply to universities like LSE and Warwick even as a long shot, would it make more sense for me to apply to somewhere like Bristol (less competitive, good course and they like state school students that have achieved well). I could even go completely crazy and apply to Cambridge, Warwick, Bath, Bristol and Nottingham (I know this would be highly risky but I don't really see myself anywhere else and am happy to take a gap year. Not sure if I could handle five rejections though.)

Thanks for the advice though, it's good to hear an unbiased opinion on a university selection, cheers
    If you are really keen on a gap year, I think it is perfectly logical to go for the five to be honest. As long as you know you are happy to take the gap year etc. and are going to make it a good year and think this is infact your most logical decison. What is the point in applying to a unviersity you infact really don't want to go to?
    I really don't think it is a 'crazy' idea to apply to LSE or Warwick.
    The gap year back up plan puts you in a stronger postion, I think you can decide even Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Bath and Nottingham, yes the first three are RRC, I think you will gain offers from Bath and Nottingham and even if they reject you, you have this back up plan. Pick your faviourte two out of the three (LSE, Warwick and Bristol) and then apply them.
    I think this is logical decision making, what would you do during your gap year?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SPMS)
    If you are really keen on a gap year, I think it is perfectly logical to go for the five to be honest. As long as you know you are happy to take the gap year etc. and are going to make it a good year and think this is infact your most logical decison. What is the point in applying to a unviersity you infact really don't want to go to?
    I really don't think it is a 'crazy' idea to apply to LSE or Warwick.
    The gap year back up plan puts you in a stronger postion, I think you can decide even Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Bath and Nottingham, yes the first three are RRC, I think you will gain offers from Bath and Nottingham and even if they reject you, you have this back up plan. Pick your faviourte two out of the three (LSE, Warwick and Bristol) and then apply them.
    I think this is logical decision making, what would you do during your gap year?
    That's what I was thinking

When applying for universities I'm going to apply for several gap year schemes as well, like the Bank of England one, Deloitte and Rothschilds investment bank. Hopefully I will at least get a place from one of these OR at least one university (I surely can't be that unlucky :P) If everything did go disastrously I would teach myself A2 further maths and think of something else useful to do :P

Where are you going to apply?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.