The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I belong here... :biggrin:
Original post by Confused101
Well I don't know much more than anyone else here, but I thought I'd atleast try give my view and advice on this rather unlike the few people above =/

Anyway, GCSEs (particularly in unis below top 5, like the ones you mentioned) are mainly used as a deciding factor when you are put into the pile of "generic" applicants. I.e. Those with ok/good personal statements and AAA predictions.

If you're predicted A*A*A then GCSEs shouldn't hinder you so much as to cause you to be rejected. A*AA is cutting it a bit tight, but for the unis you mentioned it should be fine (aside from maybe Nottingham, but they only used it for the AAA-predicted applicants last year).

In other words, it should be fine. For unis in the top 5 you may struggle. No harm in having one top 5 uni as a choice though.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for replying.

I think I may get A*AA and was thinking of applying for
A*AA, AAA, AAB, AAB

I thought about Warick but they want A* at GCSE and I got an A. What else would be a top uni. I want to take a risk but not to over do it. I want to try nottingham since they are good at eco and was wondering how much emphasis was put on GCSE. Like LSE who want great ones. Can I ask how do you know that they only used it for AAA predictions last year

Thanks
Original post by Tateco
No one can give you an answer, that is the point. We can't guess what admissions tutors are going to do.

I knwo that you can't give me a guaranteed answer. However I am not looking for this. I want advice and wondering if you knew about previous years and what grades students got. This will allow me to make a more informed prediction. Do you know what kind of offers they make and what they looked for?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3463
Original post by ...mo...
I knwo that you can't give me a guaranteed answer. However I am not looking for this. I want advice and wondering if you knew about previous years and what grades students got. This will allow me to make a more informed prediction. Do you know what kind of offers they make and what they looked for?

I'm sorry but the whole reason I don't like answering questions like that is because of answers like the one Confused101 gave. His answer is based on nothing but pure speculation!

Just make sure you have a balanced set of choices based on where you will be happy.
Reply 3464
Original post by youngeN

Original post by youngeN
Wow, I'm in the same position as you although instead of Physics I took Psychology.

Did you do Further Maths AS in your AS year or you're A2 year?

Cool. I did it in my A2 year dude, what about you? And where are you thinking about applying to?
Original post by Tateco
Just make sure you have a balanced set of choices based on where you will be happy.

Economics offers are mostly A*AA (Warick/nottingham), AAA(Brum) or AAB (A few I think)

Are there any uni that offer AAB?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3466
Economics offers are mostly A*AA (Warick/nottingham), AAA(Brum) or AAB (A few I think)

Look at the TAELT
Original post by Tateco
Look at the TAELT

whats that?
Reply 3468
Thank you for replying.

I think I may get A*AA and was thinking of applying for
A*AA, AAA, AAB, AAB

I thought about Warick but they want A* at GCSE and I got an A. What else would be a top uni. I want to take a risk but not to over do it. I want to try nottingham since they are good at eco and was wondering how much emphasis was put on GCSE. Like LSE who want great ones. Can I ask how do you know that they only used it for AAA predictions last year

Thanks

Errrrmmm hi :K:
What? Warwick want an A* at GCSE...in what?!
Reply 3469

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1382873
Original post by zaina94
Errrrmmm hi :K:
What? Warwick want an A* at GCSE...in what?!

On their website it says "A level: A*AA + A in 4th AS subject/Extended Project or A*AA + B or above in 4th A2 subject. Applicants are encouraged to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula such as Economics and Business Studies."

I am sure that I have read that they want Maths A* at GCSE. Do you have that?
Regarding Warwick the economics admissions tutor sent me this in a reply to an email about GCSE requirements:

This year the applicants who were made offers typically achieved 7 or more A*s at GCSE, but this can vary from year to year depending on the competition within the cohort.
EDIT: Repeated post.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3473
On their website it says "A level: A*AA + A in 4th AS subject/Extended Project or A*AA + B or above in 4th A2 subject. Applicants are encouraged to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula such as Economics and Business Studies."

Basically that quote you pasted is about A/AS Levels...
And no I haven't seen anywhere that Warwick require an A* at GCSE in maths. Maybe you got them confused with Bath?
It would be helpful if you had the source..
Original post by zaina94
Basically that quote you pasted is about A/AS Levels...
And no I haven't seen anywhere that Warwick require an A* at GCSE in maths. Maybe you got them confused with Bath?
It would be helpful if you had the source..

That was a quote and I will try and recover where I saw that they want A* in Maths. However if you think the typical student will have an A* in Maths. Normally around 6/7 A*'s so this makes it slightly obvious.
Reply 3475
That was a quote and I will try and recover where I saw that they want A* in Maths. However if you think the typical student will have an A* in Maths. Normally around 6/7 A*'s so this makes it slightly obvious.

Forget what you think the typical student has, I'm just saying it isn't a formal requirement. (well no where I've seen...unless you recover your source)

Surely if you have an A* prediction in A Level Maths, they won't reject you simply for not having an A* at GCSE?
If it was a formal requirement then, fair enough (not really fair, but yeah)
But I haven't heard of it being one.
Reply 3476
Original post by Aboosh

Original post by Aboosh
Cool. I did it in my A2 year dude, what about you? And where are you thinking about applying to?

At the moment I'm in my AS year currently studying Maths, Economics, Psychology, Business, Further Maths.

As for grades I'm definetly aiming for AAAA no matter what.

As for Universities I'll probably be looking at Cass/UCL/King's/Warwick. (Doubt I'll get into UCL due to my similar situation to yours although I have e-mailed admissions at Warwick and they don't seem to mind (they've updated and posted their new admission info for Economics in their sub-forum)

I think that was if you didn't have maths at A level, could be wrong though.
Original post by Trizzle
Uhhhhh it won't let you put A* for AS, there is no option available for that...

Im putting in my A2's because ive already done them, so when I put my module grades in its for a GCE advanced level. So it letting me put A* for unit 1, is this right ?
Reply 3479
Original post by youngeN

Original post by youngeN
At the moment I'm in my AS year currently studying Maths, Economics, Psychology, Business, Further Maths.

As for grades I'm definetly aiming for AAAA no matter what.

As for Universities I'll probably be looking at Cass/UCL/King's/Warwick. (Doubt I'll get into UCL due to my similar situation to yours although I have e-mailed admissions at Warwick and they don't seem to mind (they've updated and posted their new admission info for Economics in their sub-forum)

So are you doing a third year? and/or your GCSE's not ace? and yeah, they look good! Don't they ask for A*'s in Maths at both UCL and Warwick though? I've heard UCL are bastards when it comes to any sort of admission, all of my elite friends (talking A*A*A*A people!) who applied there seem to have got rejected, don't get their system!

Latest

Trending

Trending