The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3480
Original post by Aboosh
So are you doing a third year? and/or your GCSE's not ace? and yeah, they look good! Don't they ask for A*'s in Maths at both UCL and Warwick though? I've heard UCL are bastards when it comes to any sort of admission, all of my elite friends (talking A*A*A*A people!) who applied there seem to have got rejected, don't get their system!

How come? What were their GCSEs and UMS like?
Reply 3481
Original post by Aboosh

Original post by Aboosh
So are you doing a third year? and/or your GCSE's not ace? and yeah, they look good! Don't they ask for A*'s in Maths at both UCL and Warwick though? I've heard UCL are bastards when it comes to any sort of admission, all of my elite friends (talking A*A*A*A people!) who applied there seem to have got rejected, don't get their system!

Yes, I'm basically doing a third year. My GCSE's are as follows: 3A*'s 4B's 2C's (Very poor). As for universities I doubt I'll get into UCL/LSE due to the third year. Warwick however do not mind as long as you state how your GCSE results don't reflect your full potential somewhere in your reference or personal statement.
Anyone know anything about Essex uni for economics? They want 320 points including AB at A level which works out well for me! But im just wondering whether they would be better than my current insurance choice (Hull or Aber?)
Reply 3483
Original post by hypercaine.
Anyone know anything about Essex uni for economics? They want 320 points including AB at A level which works out well for me! But im just wondering whether they would be better than my current insurance choice (Hull or Aber?)

The economics department at Essex is supposed to be very good.
Essex's department is very good for research however that is not necessarily associated with a strong undergrad programme. That said, they get a fair number of undergrads into good postgrad courses at LSE/Oxford/Cambridge.
Original post by ...mo...
Thank you for replying.

I think I may get A*AA and was thinking of applying for
A*AA, AAA, AAB, AAB

I thought about Warick but they want A* at GCSE and I got an A. What else would be a top uni. I want to take a risk but not to over do it. I want to try nottingham since they are good at eco and was wondering how much emphasis was put on GCSE. Like LSE who want great ones. Can I ask how do you know that they only used it for AAA predictions last year

Thanks

Warwick want an A* at GCSE maths only if you aren't doing A2 maths. As you are, that criteria won't apply to you.
Reply 3486
Looking at BA economics at Leicester, and was just wondering whether this is a good choice? I know Leicester is a respected uni, but does the fact that it's a BA make it less favourable to employers?
Original post by Overmars
Essex's department is very good for research however that is not necessarily associated with a strong undergrad programme. That said, they get a fair number of undergrads into good postgrad courses at LSE/Oxford/Cambridge.

I have heard good things about their research but as you say, it wouldnt really apply. Also, it would only be my 5th choice out of 5 and I already have the grades so im not intending to go there, I only want it there incase things go tits up.
I was mainly just wondering if its better than Hull (which has much lower entry requirements)?
Does anyone know the significance of predicted grades, and which unis seem to take more/less note of them.

Also, are their any colleges at Cambridge which will take into account that you are a first generation applicant and come from a relatively poor family.
Reply 3489
Original post by MyBrainNeedsBreaks
Does anyone know the significance of predicted grades, and which unis seem to take more/less note of them.

Also, are their any colleges at Cambridge which will take into account that you are a first generation applicant and come from a relatively poor family.

They look at your school for GCSE context but they won't know your circumstances unless you tell them.
Original post by Tateco
They look at your school for GCSE context but they won't know your circumstances unless you tell them.

Would that be on my reference?
Reply 3491

If you asked your reference to talk about it, yes.

Cambridge send out a SAQ (additional questionnaire) and at the end they give you 600 characters (including spaces) to tell them anything else you want them to know. You could point it out there.
In case anyone is interested, the other questions they ask are:
1. Additional personal statement (1200 characters with spaces)
2. How have you kept your interests in the course you have chosen outside your school/college work. (300)
3. Do you have any specific career plans (300)
4. Is there anything else you want us to know (600)

That was the SAQ last year, they might have changed it this year however.
Reply 3493
Original post by economyst
Cambridge send out a SAQ (additional questionnaire) and at the end they give you 600 characters (including spaces) to tell them anything else you want them to know. You could point it out there.
In case anyone is interested, the other questions they ask are:
1. Additional personal statement (1200 characters with spaces)
2. How have you kept your interests in the course you have chosen outside your school/college work. (300)
3. Do you have any specific career plans (300)
4. Is there anything else you want us to know (600)

That was the SAQ last year, they might have changed it this year however.

And do we have to fill all those questions in?
Original post by LukeWz
Looking at BA economics at Leicester, and was just wondering whether this is a good choice? I know Leicester is a respected uni, but does the fact that it's a BA make it less favourable to employers?

BA and Bsc make little difference. By doing BA economics at Leicester it will put you in a better position than doing accounting/business IMO. The fact that it is economics is the main thing. If you like maths then do Bsc otherwise go for BA.

I may also apply for them. Can I ask what your predicted/actual grades are

Thanks
Original post by Acerbic
Warwick want an A* at GCSE maths only if you aren't doing A2 maths. As you are, that criteria won't apply to you.

I asked a person from Warick and they told me (roughly) that I am unlikely to get in because of my poor GCSE's. To have a chance I feel that there needs to be a legitamate reason to explain my poor GCSE's.

However I don't have one.
I asked a person from Warick and they told me (roughly) that I am unlikely to get in because of my poor GCSE's. To have a chance I feel that there needs to be a legitamate reason to explain my poor GCSE's.

Maybe your spelling?

It's "Warwick" and "legitimate"

Bruv, you've spelt *Warwick wrong atleast 5 times.
Original post by DylanLJG
Maybe your spelling?

It's "Warwick" and "legitimate"

snap.
Reply 3499
Original post by zxh800
And do we have to fill all those questions in?

Don't think so. From my memory at the Cambridge open day, they said that the extra PS was optional, so maybe those questions are too?

Latest

Trending

Trending