Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Bruv, you've spelt *Warwick wrong atleast 5 times.
    ok.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...mo...)
    I asked a person from Warick and they told me (roughly) that I am unlikely to get in because of my poor GCSE's. To have a chance I feel that there needs to be a legitamate reason to explain my poor GCSE's.

However I don't have one.
    That's your call, then. All I was saying was that not having an A* in maths GCSE won't preclude your getting an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Do you pronounce it War-wick or Wa-rick?
    Unless you are posh or have a large mouth then the answer is the second one.

Can people stop citicise my spelling. I am not applying for english!!!
    Mate, pronunciation isn't relevant to spelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    That's your call, then. All I was saying was that not having an A* in maths GCSE won't preclude your getting an offer.
    Think about it. People getting into Warick probably get GCSE A* and A* in A Level Maths or do further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, pronunciation isn't relevant to spelling.
    Then why do they teach children who are learning that you should pronounce the word. These are educated people teaching the lessons of life.

ReputationRep:
    Then why do they teach children who are learning that you should pronounce the word. These are educated people teaching the lessons of life.
    Because knowing both is important. If you want to just make up spellings based on pronunciation, then that's fine by me - just don't tell me it's correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amyk94)
    Hi,

My referee is my maths teacher, so she was only going to include my maths UMS (as they were quite high) and not the rest, UNTIL I told her She said, she wasn't going to include the rest because she didn't know them, and because the higher UMSs look better on an application, she also mentioned that they'd be able to tell what my UMS is from predicted grades.

I didn't think that was necessarily true, as some schools are nicer (and by that i mean waaaaaayyyy off) with their predictions than others. For example I got 261/300 in physics and they wont predict me an A*, but some other people are getting predicted A*s in other subjects and schools with low As (80-83%) IKR! ¬_¬

I thought it would help my application if UMS is included, but now i'm starting to reconsider...
    some of my UMSs aren't THAT high. E.g. 82% in a physics exam, and 83% in a biology exam. Others, the relevant subjects, maths and economics are higher, >90%. So i definitely want those included. Although in M1 I only got 80/100..
    Would it harm me to include lower units?
    If i only include some, it would look like i'm hiding something wouldn't it? I'm predicted an A* in biology, and i got 92% overall, so despite the one low module, i did better in others..
    and in physics despite being predicted an A, i did get quite a solid A at AS. Without UMS they could assume i got a low A, from not being predicted an A*
    if i don't include the sciences but include others, it would look like i'm hiding something wouldn't it?
    Is it best to include all?

And what's everyone else doing?

Please help! thanks!!
    This is the economics thread
    Not the "What was your UMS" thread

ReputationRep:
    Think about it. People getting into Warick probably get GCSE A* and A* in A Level Maths or do further Maths. This is economics!
    The key word in what I said was preclude. You aren't ruled out by not having it.

ReputationRep:
    The key word in what I said was preclude. You aren't ruled out by not having it.
    Preclude?

Not having A* GCSE maths does not mean definite rejection but acts as a barrier. It is a disadvantage compared to others who applying with 8/9 A*'s

ReputationRep:
    This is the economics thread
    Not the "What was your UMS" thread
    I wasn't stating my UMS, I was simply explaining my situation, and asking for advice on whether i should include my UMS on an ECONOMICS APPLICATION.
    Therefore it is relevant to the "Economics Applicant Thread UCAS 2012" and a question to other ECONOMICS APPLICANTS.

Just because you're getting grilled on this thread, and acting like a dumbass, not being able to spell Warwick and other things, you don't have to try and shift that hate over to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I got my AS results : AAAA in math econ and physics FM respectively and were predicted A*A*A*A.
    I am going to apply Cambridge, LSE, UCL or Warwick, Bath and an insurance
    Do I have a good chance to get into LSE and UCL or Warwick
    And UCL VS Warwick which one is better for economics course in future career?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amyk94)
    I wasn't stating my UMS, I was simply explaining my situation, and asking for advice on whether i should include my UMS on an ECONOMICS APPLICATION.
    Therefore it is relevant to the "Economics Applicant Thread UCAS 2012" and a question to other ECONOMICS APPLICANTS.

Just because you're getting grilled on this thread, and acting like a dumbass, not being able to spell Warwick and other things, you don't have to try and shift that hate over to someone else.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    BA and Bsc make little difference. By doing BA economics at Leicester it will put you in a better position than doing accounting/business IMO. The fact that it is economics is the main thing. If you like maths then do Bsc otherwise go for BA.

I may also apply for them. Can I ask what your predicted/actual grades are

Thanks
    Cheers.

A2: AB
    AS: BB
    Predicted: AB

So AABB overall. you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeWz)
    Cheers.

A2: AB
    AS: BB
    Predicted: AB

So AABB overall. you?
    Did you do to A Levels and to AS Levels? Also what is the predicted grades for

Me: A*AAac

I am applying for this since my reference is OK, my PS is bland and my GCSE's are bad. Any happy news?
    Are you from Leicester or applying elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    Did you do to A Levels and to AS Levels? Also what is the predicted grades for

Me: A*AAac

I am applying for this since my reference is OK, my PS is bland and my GCSE's are bad. Any happy news?
    Are you from Leicester or applying elsewhere
    Already got in A2 History A and Politics B
    This year i'm doing A2 Economics, predicted A, and psychology, predicted B.

Thinking of also applying to lancaster, sussex, glasgow, east anglia, then either kent/lougbourough/leicester.

Can you not improve your personal statement at all? Where else are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    Already got in A2 History A and Politics B
    This year i'm doing A2 Economics, predicted A, and psychology, predicted B.

Thinking of also applying to lancaster, sussex, glasgow, east anglia, then either kent/lougbourough/leicester.

Can you not improve your personal statement at all? Where else are you applying?
    Improving my PS could be by rewording! I dont do EC activites and havent taken part in extra stuff in school/college so dont have much to talk about. I am hoping that it wont effect me too much. What about you?

I am thinking of applying to birmingham,Leicester,loughboroug h and maybe notingham. Not sure where else. I try and look at reputation.

You A Level situation is good since you only have to focus on 2 A Levels. How did you do this?

ReputationRep:
    Improving my PS could be by rewording! I dont do EC activites and havent taken part in extra stuff in school/college so dont have much to talk about. I am hoping that it wont effect me too much. What about you?

I am thinking of applying to birmingham,Leicester,loughboroug h and maybe notingham. Not sure where else. I try and look at reputation.

You A Level situation is good since you only have to focus on 2 A Levels. How did you do this?

Our school took part in the Student Investor and Target 2.0 schemes, which will be good for my PS.

I did 3 in my first year but failed one, so took 2 extra ones in the following year.

What A levels are you taking? And what GCSE's did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Our school took part in the Student Investor and Target 2.0 schemes, which will be good for my PS.

I did 3 in my first year but failed one, so took 2 extra ones in the following year.

What A levels are you taking? And what GCSE's did you get?
    What is target 2.0 and what do you do?

Maths: 80%
    Economics: 81%
    ICT: 86%
    Accounting: 92%

GCSE: A* AAAA BBBB CCCC
    These GCSE's are not like others who get 9/10 A*'s. I went for quantity rather than quality which way a mistake. They look bad but I got C's in irrelavent subject such as DT,French and Leisure and Tourism (double). For L&T I got A*A* in exam but ended up with CC!!

ReputationRep:
    What is target 2.0 and what do you do?

Maths: 80%
    Economics: 81%
    ICT: 86%
    Accounting: 92%

GCSE: A* AAAA BBBB CCCC
    These GCSE's are not like others who get 9/10 A*'s. I went for quantity rather than quality which way a mistake. They look bad but I got C's in irrelavent subject such as DT,French and Leisure and Tourism (double). For L&T I got A*A* in exam but ended up with CC!!

Its run by the Bank of England, and you work in a group to produce a presentation how to reduce the inflation rate to 2%. It's a big event and hundreds of schools compete.

Your gcses are still pretty good, only the really competitive ones make a big deal out of them.

ReputationRep:
    I asked a person from Warick and they told me (roughly) that I am unlikely to get in because of my poor GCSE's. To have a chance I feel that there needs to be a legitamate reason to explain my poor GCSE's.

However I don't have one.
    I asked the economics representative on the Warwick Q&A thread about the A* at GCSE in maths (as it effects me too, I got an A).

He said: "It's not a formal requirement for L100 or L112, though clearly we look for very good performance in Maths at all levels."

As I mentioned before, I don't know where you heard it was a requirement...
    I certainly haven't heard that anywhere. Maybe you mistook them for Bath?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.