Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thamerz)
    I am really not sure what unis to apply for and aim for.
    This is my situation:
    GCSE : (3A*, 4A*, 3B)
    AS Results : (Econ : A, Maths : A, ICT :A , Business :A, Chinese : C)
    Now i have dropped business and have taken on further maths for AS.

I know that my subject choices are bad, :mad:but what sorts of unis should i am for? :confused:

Im currently thinking of

York,
    Leicester,
    Leeds,
    City,
    (and one more)

I really want to do Financial Economics or Economics with/and Finance

Are these realistic for me considering my subjects? And what other unis do you guys recommend? Should i be looking for lower down unis?
    Those choices seem alright! As long as you know they are okay with your subject combinations. Perhaps Manchester? They are AAB I think.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by thamerz)
    I am really not sure what unis to apply for and aim for.
    This is my situation:
    GCSE : (3A*, 4A*, 3B)
    AS Results : (Econ : A, Maths : A, ICT :A , Business :A, Chinese : C)
    Now i have dropped business and have taken on further maths for AS.

I know that my subject choices are bad, :mad:but what sorts of unis should i am for? :confused:

Im currently thinking of

York,
    Leicester,
    Leeds,
    City,
    (and one more)

I really want to do Financial Economics or Economics with/and Finance

Are these realistic for me considering my subjects? And what other unis do you guys recommend? Should i be looking for lower down unis?
    Your choices are very reasonable, should be looking up a bit for your last choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyBrainNeedsBreaks)
    Yes, maths and econ most likely.
    If was thinking of Econ and Econ History at first but then I don't like writing essays .
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The offer thread has been stickied :afraid: It's all too real now, wonder who will be the first to have an offer in there (lets take bets, I pick Groat)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T95ky)
    I'm studying Economics at Homerton. I also think you should apply to Homerton..you should get in with your grades aswell long as your interview goes well
    And why don't you apply Pure Econ at LSE!
    What grades did you get, if you don't mind me asking??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    The offer thread has been stickied :afraid: It's all too real now, wonder who will be the first to have an offer in there (lets take bets, I pick Groat)
    I pick Groat too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trizzle)
    Those choices seem alright! As long as you know they are okay with your subject combinations. Perhaps Manchester? They are AAB I think.
    Most unis don't like Buiness and Economics together, that is the reason why i dropped business. (I should of found out about this before.) :mad:

But thanks for the suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Your choices are very reasonable, should be looking up a bit for your last choice!
    Thats promising to hear but yeah i might go for a wildcard. Im just really worried that i won't get any offers from a decent uni.

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to this forum guys....
    I'm applying for Homerton Economics as well. My brother went there so thats why I'm applying there despite having to put up with the social discrimination for attending Homerton from other college students. Or thats what my brother says anyway. I know I can apply elsewhere as well, but I just know that place really well from visiting my brother when he was studying LAW there..

My grades are
    GCSE 12A*, (A in FSMQ Maths)(plus 2A* in RE shortcourse and Electronics)
    AS-Level
    Economics 100 average
    History 99 average
    A-Level maths 588/600 (C3 100/100 C4 99/100) so A* :cool:
    Physics 271/300
    Critical thinking 182/200 pointless subject

Where is everyone else applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob247)
    Lol, in almost the exact same situation as you Though I dropped Physics and it's the maths department that told me they think I'll get an A* but are predicting me an A (wtf?) -.-

Your choices seem pretty solid. Warwick is really competitive so I'd recommend looking at their specific requirements but I don't think it's wrong to have two "reaches" in your options (followed by two solid choices and one back up). Personally though, I'd go for Durham > Exeter - both are A*AA.

Isn't Notts now A*AA though? Three A*AAs might be pushing it.

And maybe Manchester instead of Royal Holloway? I know it's your insurance (ABB) but Manchester is higher rated and only AAB.
    Durham is definitely better than Exeter, but even though they both ask for A*AA, Exeter asks for A*AA-AAB, and I just don't think that in terms of selectiveness they are in the same class as Durham (so I would say that Exeter is "easier" to get an offer from, and they would probably be more lenient about the A* than Durham).

Notts is A*AA-AAA as well, but I've visited and loved the campus. I agree with you on two reaches, two solids and a backup, just trying to determine which category St Andrews falls into. (average UCAS tariff achieved for Economics was 515 last year - higher than UCL :eek:)

Manchester may be higher rated, but I think the fact that Holloway is part of the UoL clinches it over Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letmewin94)
    I'm new to this forum guys....
    I'm applying for Homerton Economics as well. My brother went there so thats why I'm applying there despite having to put up with the social discrimination for attending Homerton from other college students. Or thats what my brother says anyway. I know I can apply elsewhere as well, but I just know that place really well from visiting my brother when he was studying LAW there..

My grades are
    GCSE 12A*, (A in FSMQ Maths)(plus 2A* in RE shortcourse and Electronics)
    AS-Level
    Economics 100 average
    History 99 average
    A-Level maths 588/600 (C3 100/100 C4 99/100) so A* :cool:
    Physics 271/300
    Critical thinking 182/200 pointless subject

Where is everyone else applying?
    Are you for real, nice grades. Have you sent off UCAS, what are your other choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyBrainNeedsBreaks)
    Are you for real, nice grades. Have you sent off UCAS, what are your other choices?
    Thanks, yes those grades are real but I'm not a geek or a book nerd.

I've also applied to LSE (2 courses), UCL and St. Andrews. I sent my application of this week and received an acknowledgment from St. Andrews today. I'm also considering American university but thats another process and I'm not really that keen. How about you, where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    If you guys had to choose between Newcastle and Edinburgh which one would you choose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypercaine.)
    If you guys had to choose between Newcastle and Edinburgh which one would you choose?
    Unless you have a problem with paying £36k, and doing 4 years, Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T95ky)
    I'm studying Economics at Homerton. I also think you should apply to Homerton..you should get in with your grades aswell long as your interview goes well
    And why don't you apply Pure Econ at LSE!
    Hi I'm applying for homerton economics and have send my application off. 13 A* and close to 99 average. Do u think the new Don will bring a lot of changes.

ReputationRep:
    What would you guys say is the better option out of Lancaster, Newcastle, Manchester and Royal Holloway for an AAB insurance uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrational)
    What would you guys say is the better option out of Lancaster, Newcastle, Manchester and Royal Holloway for an AAB insurance uni?
    In my opinion, I would go for Royal Holloway. Is there one you particularly like? Which ones have you visited?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    In my opinion, I would go for Royal Holloway. Is there one you particularly like? Which ones have you visited?
    Particularly like Royal Holloway. Just the Founder's Building

ReputationRep:
    Ahh people have got offers at my school already!! :confused: (mechanical engineering at Bath and english at Manchester)

I'm anxiously refreshing track for an economics offer :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Tat, it might be an idea to add on the offer thread the date of the offer.
    People don't post it on the exact date they get it and it will be helpful for other 2012 applicants and other future applicants to see what date the offer was given on.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.