Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to use the durham college quiz, but I don't know where the economics institute is near, is it this 'queens' place or the 'city'...:iiam:

ReputationRep:
    WARWICK --> Economics, politics and international studies annd PPE!!

so excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty1993)
    WARWICK --> Economics, politics and international studies annd PPE!!

so excited.
    Welcome :hi:

Are you Palestinian, just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Welcome :hi:

Are you Palestinian, just out of interes?
    loll yeahh i am but live in england.
    what course do you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    loll yeahh i am but live in england.
    what course do you want to do?
    Fair enough

Economics (with German)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Fair enough

Economics (with German)
    sounds interesting. what universities? you given you ucas app yet?

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the personal statement, I only put lines beneath two paragraphs, my into and my second paragraph as I felt they were the two most important. I didn't feel the sacrifice of content/characters was worth the aesthetic benefit and my referee agreed

ReputationRep:
    sounds interesting. what universities? you given you ucas app yet?
    Most of my Uni's will be for straight Econ, I've realised I can always take optional modules..see sig

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredbol)
    Regarding the personal statement, I only put lines beneath two paragraphs, my into and my second paragraph as I felt they were the two most important. I didn't feel the sacrifice of content/characters was worth the aesthetic benefit and my referee agreed
    You've got to be consistent. Either have line breaks for all your paragraphs, or none at all. Presentation is key; initial (and important) opinions are formed on superficial observations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cabine Sono Qui)
    You've got to be consistent. Either have line breaks for all your paragraphs, or none at all. Presentation is key; initial (and important) opinions are formed on superficial observations.
    So clustering all paragraphs>line breaks under the two most important paragraphs?

I totally disagree, I was not prepared to sacrifice any content and I was on 4000 characters after 45 lines, so I made use of what I had less to highlight the first two.

I really think admissions tutors focus far more on what's in you PS than how it looks... just sayin

Opinions are formed on superficial observations... So upon looking at my PS, they'll think this applicant is not academic enough, so there's no point reading the rest?

ReputationRep:
    So clustering all paragraphs>line breaks under the two most important paragraphs?

I totally disagree, I was not prepared to sacrifice any content and I was on 4000 characters after 45 lines, so I made use of what I had less to highlight the first two.

I really think admissions tutors focus far more on what's in you PS than how it looks... just sayin

Opinions are formed on superficial observations... So upon looking at my PS, they'll think this applicant is not academic enough, so there's no point reading the rest?
    You'll find out the hard way when you carry on that kind of inconsistent form with a CV. In this case (undergrad PS) it might not be a big problem, but just appreciate what I'm saying. You're the one who posted your query on here - why are you being so defensive?

Of course the admissions tutor won't throw away your PS (why would you jump to that extreme anyway?), but he'll sure as hell will think "Well that's a bit odd - this person doesn't know how to write prose properly"

ReputationRep:
    You'll find out the hard way when you carry on that kind of inconsistent form with a CV. In this case (undergrad PS) it might not be a big problem, but just appreciate what I'm saying. You're the one who posted your query on here - why are you being so defensive?

Of course the admissions tutor won't throw away your PS (why would you jump to that extreme anyway?), but he'll sure as hell will think "Well that's a bit odd - this person doesn't know how to write prose properly"
    Firstly, I didn't post a query, there was a discussion about line breaks etc so I chipped in with what I did because I had a median between the two.

Secondly, why do you assume I'd EVER format my CV that way, anyone's CV that is formatted like a PS is going drastically wrong somewhere anyway? In an ideal world course I'd have line breaks but that isn't feasible.

Thirdly,you cannot compare a PS with a CV, admission tutors know the constraints and I'm sure they'd rather find out all they can about an applicant than see perfect line breaks, after all my three clustered paragraphs really aren't hard to read

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I didn't post a query, there was a discussion about line breaks etc so I chipped in with what I did because I had a median between the two.

Secondly, why do you assume I'd EVER format my CV that way, anyone's CV that is formatted like a PS is going drastically wrong somewhere anyway? In an ideal world course I'd have line breaks but that isn't feasible.

Thirdly,you cannot compare a PS with a CV, admission tutors know the constraints and I'm sure they'd rather find out all they can about an applicant than see perfect line breaks, after all my three clustered paragraphs really aren't hard to read
    You're really over-exaggerating the importance of the actual content of your PS. Yes it is massively important, but a PS is used more as a tool to see how well you can write and present your ideas. Having line breaks for one thing and none for the other is going to make you look confused and unable to write basic prose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 94george94)
    You're really over-exaggerating the importance of the actual content of your PS. Yes it is massively important, but a PS is used more as a tool to see how well you can write and present your ideas. Having line breaks for one thing and none for the other is going to make you look confused and unable to write basic prose.
    You're really underestimating the importance of showing your academic interest in your subject of choice, in this case Economics. I made my PS as concise as I feasibly could so reducing words in order to add lines would be removing direct academic content.

Furthermore, you're making a pretty ridiculous inference that having some clustered and some non-clustered paragraphs means the candidate cannot write in basic prose. If I were to remove sentences making my paragraphs incoherent would really show a basic inability of writing in prose.

As for the PS is more importantly a tool of how to present your ideas is totally wrong, it's a tool to sell yourself, which is best done through presenting your ideas in a flowing manner, which I believe my PS achieves. Whilst it could be more flowing by inserting lines, as I've explained, this isn't feasible so I compromised.

ReputationRep:
    You're really underestimating the importance of showing your academic interest in your subject of choice, in this case Economics. I made my PS as concise as I feasibly could so reducing words in order to add lines would be removing direct academic content.

Furthermore, you're making a pretty ridiculous inference that having some clustered and some non-clustered paragraphs means the candidate cannot write in basic prose. If I were to remove sentences making my paragraphs incoherent would really show a basic inability of writing in prose.

As for the PS is more importantly a tool of how to present your ideas is totally wrong, it's a tool to sell yourself, which is best done through presenting your ideas in a flowing manner, which I believe my PS achieves. Whilst it could be more flowing by inserting lines, as I've explained, this isn't feasible so I compromised.
    I agree with this. It shouldn't be a question of who can make theirs look best, the line breaks are merely psychological for the admissions tutor. And yes 200 characters doesn't seem like much but it's 5% you're missing out on otherwise. True you can 'develop' points, but you can elaborate on ones you have already made. Rather than merely saying 'I am interested in xyz' you can say why it interests you or whatever.

ReputationRep:

If you think your PS is a tool to sell yourself then why would you make yourself look a fool by not having standard structure and following your bizarre one. Do what you like, I'm not telling you how to do it, but it seems stupid to not follow at least some sort of pattern.

Surely you can make some sentences more concise yet still comprehensible? Not just go to the extreme by taking out whole sentences.

But whatever don't follow UCAS' advice:

'The presentation of the personal statement is of critical importance to demonstrate use of English language and grammar at a standard suitable for entry to higher education.'

'it needs to look and sound good' - stressing how look comes before sound.

It's your future. Bye. :wavey:

ReputationRep:

You seem to have trouble understanding me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 94george94)
    If you think your PS is a tool to sell yourself then why would you make yourself look a fool by not having standard structure and following your bizarre one. Do what you like, I'm not telling you how to do it, but it seems stupid to not follow at least some sort of pattern.

Surely you can make some sentences more concise yet still comprehensible? Not just go to the extreme by taking out whole sentences.

But whatever don't follow UCAS' advice:

'The presentation of the personal statement is of critical importance to demonstrate use of English language and grammar at a standard suitable for entry to higher education.'

'it needs to look and sound good' - stressing how look comes before sound.

It's your future. Bye. :wavey:
    ' You need to demonstrate your enthusiasm and commitment, and above all, ensure that you stand out from the crowd.' If you didn't read what I had written, I have made my PS as concise as I possibly can, if you don't believe me I'll send you my PS!

When I applied to UCAS last year I did the same with putting in a line break underneath my introduction and that PS served me well, but I had to withdraw from UCAS because I got an internship and didn't apply deferred!

But anyway you're right, cause I didn't put a line between all paragraphs I therefore cannot write in prose and, as you're inferring, I am jeopardizing my future...

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have trouble understanding me.
    ...OK

'You'll find out the hard way when you carry on that kind of inconsistent form with a CV', you're implying I would do that with a CV, where there are no line constraints, which is a ridiculous assumption.

You seem to have trouble understanding me

ReputationRep:
    ' You need to demonstrate your enthusiasm and commitment, and above all, ensure that you stand out from the crowd.' If you didn't read what I had written, I have made my PS as concise as I possibly can, if you don't believe me I'll send you my PS!

When I applied to UCAS last year I did the same with putting in a line break underneath my introduction and that PS served me well, but I had to withdraw from UCAS because I got an internship and didn't apply deferred!

But anyway you're right, cause I didn't put a line between all paragraphs I therefore cannot write in prose and, as you're inferring, I am jeopardizing my future...
    My problem (and most likely an Admissions Tutor's as well) isn't the fact that you haven't put line breaks, it is that you're in a type of limbo between line breaks and one big body of text. Either you should take out the line breaks, or put more in.

Hey, if you take them out at least you have more room for your precious enthusiasm.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.