Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by expopyro)
    GCSEs: 7A*s, 3A, 1B
    AS: 4.5 As in Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry, F Maths
    Choices: Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Bath and Nottingham.

Not sure on which college between Girton or Clare.... any recomendations
    How have you got half an AS?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    GCSEs: 7A*s, 3A, 1B
    AS: 4.5 As in Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry, F Maths
    Choices: Cambridge, UCL, Warwick, Bath and Nottingham.

Not sure on which college between Girton or Clare.... any recomendations
    Same choices as me, and same AS as me! Except I will only have AS further maths at the end of A2

Just choose whichever college you like the most

ReputationRep:
    How do unis view you if u have a*. Prediction in 3 other a levels and A prediction in economics
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by smoky188)
    How do unis view you if u have a*. Prediction in 3 other a levels and A prediction in economics
    That would almost certainly meet the entry requirements so I wouldn't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    How have you got half an AS?
    because I'm doing AS further maths coupled with maths over two years, so i've only done FP1 and an extra applied module so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccc18)
    Hi, I read the threads in the economics forum all the time but have never really posted in it.
    Thought I might post now that I've finally sent off my UCAS.

GCSEs: 11 A*s
    AS: 4 As (Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Spanish)
    Choices: Cambridge, Nottingham, Bath, Manchester, East Anglia
    what is your UMS like?, if you don't mind me asking
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Everyone should start saying which Cambridge college you're applying to, else it's going to get all confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Everyone should start saying which Cambridge college you're applying to, else it's going to get all confusing.
    What Unis are you applying to mate?

ReputationRep:
    ccc18 which college are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccc18)
    I'm applying to Clare college and thought it was really nice at the open day. Having said that, they all looked very nice.
    I'm also applying to Clare ! The more I look up Clare the more I want to go there haha

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying to Magdalene (Mawdlin)?

ReputationRep:
    what is your UMS like?, if you don't mind me asking
    Hi, my UMS scores were as follows

Maths: 286/300
    C1: 100/100
    C2: 92/100
    S1: 94/100

Further Maths: 282/300
    FP1: 100/100
    M1: 89/100
    D1: 93/100

Economics :200/200

Spanish :194/ 200

@MyBrainNeedsBreaks: I'm applying to Clare College at Cambridge
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by ccc18)
    Hi, my UMS scores were as follows

Maths: 286/300
    C1: 100/100
    C2: 92/100
    S1: 94/100

Further Maths: 282/300
    FP1: 100/100
    M1: 89/100
    D1: 93/100

Economics :200/200

Spanish :194/ 200

@MyBrainNeedsBreaks: I'm applying to Clare College at Cambridge
    Any chance you are on Edexcel for Maths? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Any chance you are on Edexcel for Maths? :ahee:
    Yep, I'm doing Edexcel.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by ccc18)
    Yep, I'm doing Edexcel.
    Did you take C2 in June? 92 was the most common score at my school because of the that damned circle question.

Excellent UMS, by the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Did you take C2 in June? 92 was the most common score at my school because of the that damned circle question.

Excellent UMS, by the way!
    Thanks
    Yeah I found the C2 exam straightforward apart from that radius question; I came back to it at the end of the exam with about 15 minutes to spare and I still couldn't get it.
    I guess that question must have been worth 8 UMS then.

ReputationRep:
    hey i just copied and pasted my personal statement from word to ucas and payed and sent. However i lost my line breaks from word, so I'm panicking! what did everyone else do?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hey i just copied and pasted my personal statement from word to ucas and payed and sent. However i lost my line breaks from word, so I'm panicking! what did everyone else do?
    I didn't lose the line breaks, but you were probably writing in 'Normal' mode on word where when you press enter it goes onto a new line but it isn't actually a proper line break, you need to have written it in 'No spacing' mode for it to count as a line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccc18)
    Yeah I guess my choices are more conservative than many with similar grades to me.
    With regards to other top unis, my thought process was this:

Oxford-doesn't offer straight econ which is what I want to do
    UCL/LSE-I've lived in London my whole life and will probably end up working here in the future, so I'd like to go to a uni somewhere else.
    Warwick-I thought quite a lot about applying there. I like the look of the campus and the course looks quite good too, but my problem is the location. The uni itself seems like it's kinda in the middle of nowhere, and I'm not sure I'd want to live in Leamington Spa/Coventry. I'd like to have the option to go clubbing too, but I feel like I would largely miss out on this if I went to Warwick.

I really liked Nottingham and Bath and would be happy to go there. I chose Manchester as an insurance choice; however, Bristol was the only non-campus uni I'd checked out and I didn't like it at the open day, so I put down UEA as another back up in case I don't like Manchester when I check it out later on.

My UCAS hasn't been sent off properly as my reference hasn't been added, so if any of you can convince me to swap one of my choices for Warwick or whatever then I may be able to get my referee to make a last minute change.
    You will still be able to go clubbing while you are at Warwick (clubs in Coventry), and to be honest with you, the decisions that you make now will probably dictate the course of the rest of you're life, do you really not think that "lack of clubbing opportunities" is a good enough reason not to put down a top five uni like Warwick down? If you get into Cambridge, then wherever else you chose is irrelevant, but if you don't, and even with you're grades, its not a certainty,and so you should have another "first choice".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    You will still be able to go clubbing while you are at Warwick (clubs in Coventry), and to be honest with you, the decisions that you make now will probably dictate the course of the rest of you're life, do you really not think that "lack of clubbing opportunities" is a good enough reason not to put down a top five uni like Warwick down? If you get into Cambridge, then wherever else you chose is irrelevant, but if you don't, and even with you're grades, its not a certainty,and so you should have another "first choice".
    I appreciate what you're saying. Do you think the career prospects will differ much between economics graduates from Warwick and Nottingham?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.