Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wa 007)
    Okay thanks Yh i'm doing epq in the summer with philosophy it was either that or politics at my school because they have specific block systems. Furthermore, is philosophy considered a bad a level? (not tryin to argue just wondering)

Also, does anyone know if UCL have specific GCSE requirements or if you need a certain number of a*s to be highly considered?

Thanks and sorry i know im fussy :rolleyes:
    No Philosophy isn't considered a bad A-level at all, on the contrary, its actually considered quite strong, and doing it alongside Maths/FM will give you a good range of subjects.

UCL do have specific GCSE requirements; You must have a C grade or higher in a modern foreign language, and although unstated, I would assume that they would expect an A* in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    No Philosophy isn't considered a bad A-level at all, on the contrary, its actually considered quite strong, and doing it alongside Maths/FM will give you a good range of subjects.

UCL do have specific GCSE requirements; You must have a C grade or higher in a modern foreign language, and although unstated, I would assume that they would expect an A* in Maths.
    Cheers man, but do they require a certain number of a* grades??

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks Yh i'm doing epq in the summer with philosophy it was either that or politics at my school because they have specific block systems. Furthermore, is philosophy considered a bad a level? (not tryin to argue just wondering)

Also, does anyone know if UCL have specific GCSE requirements or if you need a certain number of a*s to be highly considered?

Thanks and sorry i know im fussy :rolleyes:
    Lol np- by philosophy do you mean just philosophy or philosophy and ethics (which is RS?) If it is the former I am pretty sure that is fine, and I have a feeling that the latter is borderline.

Most unis don't have official entry enquirements, but there is an idea of what they look for. The GCSE Nazis will look for 8A*s or more, however, if you perform strongly at AS and have a strong PS it should be fine (not sure about LSE though-maybe someone could give more info on them)

Try and make the EPQ economics related

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...mo...)
    Eco at Nottingham,Birmingham,Leicester defo not sure about the rest. Any good AAA uni's? What about you
    could go for Bristol as a high risk one, they sometimes give out AAA offers.

I'm applying
    Durham
    Bristol
    Warwick
    Nottingham
    Bath
    (not in order)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pancakeman123)

I'm applying
    Durham
    Bristol
    Warwick
    Nottingham
    Bath
    (not in order)
    good choices. what grades do you have/need?

ReputationRep:

I'm applying
    Durham
    Bristol
    Warwick
    Nottingham
    Bath
    (not in order)
    All of those are High risk, probably more so than Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    good choices. what grades do you have/need?
    Well this is the annoying moment where I explain that I do the IB... I'm predicted 41 points, and they will all probably ask for 38, although if I'm lucky Nottingham or Bristol might offer something slightly lower.

Oh and 9.5A* and 1A at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Cheers man, but do they require a certain number of a* grades??
    They don't officially require a set number of A*s, but I would probably say that anything above 4 A*s, strong AS grades, and strong predictions will warrant consideration. GCSEs may play less of a part now because candidates will be providing their UMS scores, so they will have more information available to them, so won't need to resort to basing decisions based on GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    Well this is the annoying moment where I explain that I do the IB... I'm predicted 41 points, and they will all probably ask for 38, although if I'm lucky Nottingham or Bristol might offer something slightly lower.

Oh and 9.5A* and 1A at GCSE
    The problem for me is my poor GCSE's which hold me back. I got AAAA at AS Level with A*AA prediction but A* AAAA BBBB CCCC at GCSE. How badly will this affect my chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    All of those are High risk, probably more so than Bristol.
    I was suggesting Bristol as a choice to "mo", then listed the places that I've applied to, as he asked me to do.

ReputationRep:
    The problem for me is my poor GCSE's which hold me back. I got AAAA at AS Level but A* AAAA BBBB CCCC at GCSE. How badly will this affect my chances?
    How about you email the universities you're interested in rather than asking us? With the exception of one guy who in the thread atm who is reapplying, none of us have been through the process. You will get more accurate answers from them.

Although if you're in the position that you attend(ed) a low achieving school for your GCSEs you could ask your teachers to mention that on your reference.

ReputationRep:
    How about you email the universities you're interested in rather than asking us? With the exception of one guy who in the thread atm who is reapplying, none of us have been through the process. You will get more accurate answers from them.

Although if you're in the position that you attend(ed) a low achieving school for your GCSEs you could ask your teachers to mention that on your reference.
    I might come from a lower school. Compared to others in my school I was a high achiever getting the top grades. When I went to college did I realise how bad they were.

How do I find out if my school is classed as low achieving?

ReputationRep:
    I might come from a lower school. Compared to others in my school I was a high achiever getting the top grades. When I went to college did I realise how bad they were.

ffs I don't have the answers to all these questions, email the universities or UCAS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    Lol np- by philosophy do you mean just philosophy or philosophy and ethics (which is RS?) If it is the former I am pretty sure that is fine, and I have a feeling that the latter is borderline.

Most unis don't have official entry enquirements, but there is an idea of what they look for. The GCSE Nazis will look for 8A*s or more, however, if you perform strongly at AS and have a strong PS it should be fine (not sure about LSE though-maybe someone could give more info on them)

Try and make the EPQ economics related
    Okay thanks yup im doing philosophy n ethics because its another essay subject . I did maths n further maths to show that i can understand the extreme maths based concepts of economics, economics cos i love it , n philosophy with ethics cos it shows that i can communicate clearly n + i have god writing skills (if i get a good grade lol)

n thanks i will do my epq on economics. Hahha i know LSE are GCSE Nazis but are UCL??

ReputationRep:

What was your GCSE pass rate? Percentage with 5A*- Cs including Maths and English.

ReputationRep:
    ffs I don't have the answers to all these questions, email the universities or UCAS
    ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanLJG)
    What was your GCSE pass rate? Percentage with 5A*- Cs including Maths and English.
    not sure how to find out but the school doesn't have a good rep. it was associated with knives and violence but has been improving.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks yup im doing philosophy n ethics because its another essay subject . I did maths n further maths to show that i can understand the extreme maths based concepts of economics, economics cos i love it , n philosophy with ethics cos it shows that i can communicate clearly n + i have ??? writing skills (if i get a good grade lol)

n thanks i will do my epq on economics. Hahha i know LSE are GCSE Nazis but are UCL??
    check this part. what do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    check this part. what do you mean?
    haha sorry my bad i meant *good writing skills

ReputationRep:
    not sure how to find out but the school doesn't have a good rep. it was associated with knives and violence but has been improving.
    Hmmm... You sure we didn't go to the same school. Sounds alot like mine. :rolleyes:

Do they have a website?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.