The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ...mo...

Anything less than 100% in my opinion. But in our case under 50% is probably called underachieving. :rolleyes: Not completely sure though.
Original post by DylanLJG
Anything less than 100% in my opinion. But in our case under 50% is probably called underachieving. :rolleyes: Not completely sure though.

ok. if i attend one lof these schools what can i do about it?
Original post by ...mo...
ok. if i attend one lof these schools what can i do about it?

Get your referee to talk about it in your reference. Unis will like to know that you have done well coming from a **** background.
I'm not a single honours applicant but I think I'll just scrape in seeing as the Politics applicants seem to be suffering from the bubonic plague or something and have vanished.

Currently sent off:

PPE @ Oxford
Economics and Politics @ Bath

Still undecided on my last 3 choices, would someone care to help me out?

LSE - in London, could live at home if i wanted to in 2nd and 3rd year, great reputation, lecturers, events, opportunities but so small and shoved in some tiny corner of London. Also student satisfaction seems to be worryingly lower than others.
Exeter - haven't visited it, I've heard it has a lot of rahs and what not but the accommodation is nice?
Durham - really far away from London, heard the social life is a bit dead also I'd be flabbergasted on college choice
Warwick - campus, again with the lack of real people around/social side, being stuck in the uni bubble
Original post by DylanLJG
Get your referee to talk about it in your reference. Unis will like to know that you have done well coming from a **** background.

language. we are not all drugies an dun tuk like dis blad. get me, innit blad. Safe

I just happen to live in that kind of area with strict/indian parent so did better than my white friends
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Brand New Eyes

I'm not a single honours applicant but I think I'll just scrape in seeing as the Politics applicants seem to be suffering from the bubonic plague or something and have vanished.

Currently sent off:

PPE @ Oxford

LSE - in London, could live at home if i wanted to in 2nd and 3rd year, great reputation, lecturers, events, opportunities but so small and shoved in some tiny corner of London. Also student satisfaction seems to be worryingly lower than others.
Exeter - haven't visited it, I've heard it has a lot of rahs and what not but the accommodation is nice?
Durham - really far away from London, heard the social life is a bit dead also I'd be flabbergasted on college choice
Warwick - campus, again with the lack of real people around/social side, being stuck in the uni bubble

how about econ and politics at bristol? fairly similar to Bath in reputation and style
Anyone got any more offers?
Original post by Pancakeman123
how about econ and politics at bristol? fairly similar to Bath in reputation and style

Not really narrowing down my choices...
ahh just started my SAQ -______-

why did i leave it so long!??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Not really narrowing down my choices...

Well you had problems with all the ones you mentioned!

For what it's worth, I've been to LSE, Durham, and Warwick, so I'll give you my thoughts on them.

LSE - best reputation, dead socially, and I don't like London

Durham - great reputation, lovely (but small) city, quite quiet socially, but more going on than LSE. Is a long way away, but there is a direct train from Kings Cross.

Warwick - great reputation, nice campus, quiet socially. If you live near London (as I do) I think this is the perfect distance from home. Close enough that you can go home occasionally on weekends, but far enough away that you still get a big change and can't run back home as soon as something goes wrong. If you want to find out what being on a campus is like long term why not ask them in their sub-forum

For what it's worth, I've been to LSE, Durham, and Warwick, so I'll give you my thoughts on them.

Durham - great reputation, lovely (but small) city, quite quiet socially, but more going on than LSE. Is a long way away, but there is a direct train from Kings Cross.

Warwick - great reputation, nice campus, quiet socially. If you live near London (as I do) I think this is the perfect distance from home. Close enough that you can go home occasionally on weekends, but far enough away that you still get a big change and can't run back home as soon as something goes wrong. If you want to find out what being on a campus is like long term why not ask them in their sub-forum

Ah okay! Thanks for the tip, I didn't even know it existed, clueless lost child I am. Where did you apply in the end then? Also could you possibly comment on the friendliness of current students, e.g. when I went to LSE most of them severely apathetic and looked clinically depressed, whereas at Oxford they're so keen and enthusiastic its like talking to Tiger.
Reply 4151

Currently sent off:

PPE @ Oxford

If I was you.. I'd probably choose LSE, Warwick and probably Exeter.

LSE - The the workload there is intense and I guess they only want you to succeed.. And I guess if you think about it this way, when you do leave university, I think their employability rate is higher than Cambridge and Oxford (I think) - Only bad thing I know about that university's social life is pretty dull from what I gather, but hey! You're in London! Best place for social life :biggrin:

Warwick - I'm personally in love with this place and they too are a very good university. I know a lot of students stay on campus on the first year, but during the second and third year, they tend to venture out to Coventry or Leamington Spa. I hear the latter is very popular among students and also a very nice place to live in :smile:

Exeter - Closer to London than Durham, I was going to opt for Durham aswell, but chose Bristol because I wanted to be 3 hours max away from home. It's fairly nice accommodation according to the prospectuses and truth be told.. I don't really know much about Exeter apart from that it's a good university :smile:

Hope this helps and I hope you don't have to choose and that you get into Oxford! All the best! :biggrin:
Reply 4152

Not too sure about all of this...

LSE isn't dead socially at all, you're in halls with people from KCL and UCL etc. and as a gap year applicant a lot of my mates are at LSE/UCL and are having an amazing time

Going from what I've been told from people who work for insurers/chartered accountancy and banks, economics at Durham is regarded very non-mathematical and I know people at Durham who didn't take maths a-level. Whilst it definitely has a great rep, in terms of employability i'd rather be at bath/bristol/top london unis/warwick
Reply 4153
Original post by tooambitious
I was gonna start one in jan after exams

You sure live up to your name, eh? :tongue:
Original post by fredbol
Not too sure about all of this...

LSE isn't dead socially at all, you're in halls with people from KCL and UCL etc. and as a gap year applicant a lot of my mates are at LSE/UCL and are having an amazing time

Going from what I've been told from people who work for insurers/chartered accountancy and banks, economics at Durham is regarded very non-mathematical and I know people at Durham who didn't take maths a-level. Whilst it definitely has a great rep, in terms of employability i'd rather be at bath/bristol/top london unis/warwick

Where are you headed next year then and where did you apply?

Ah okay! Thanks for the tip, I didn't even know it existed, clueless lost child I am. Where did you apply in the end then? Also could you possibly comment on the friendliness of current students, e.g. when I went to LSE most of them severely apathetic and looked clinically depressed, whereas at Oxford they're so keen and enthusiastic its like talking to Tiger.

Well I had a similar experience to you at LSE, admittedly I only spoke to a handful of people, but my experience is (evidently!) consistent with others.

Warwick - everyone I spoke to was really friendly

Durham - can't really say as I only spoke to one student (not a great sample size haha)

Where are you headed next year then and where did you apply?

Well I've applied to:
Warwick
Durham
Bath
Bristol
Nottingham

So fingers crossed, I'll be heading to one of those places next year x
Well I've applied to:
Warwick
Durham
Bath
Bristol
Nottingham

So fingers crossed, I'll be heading to one of those places next year x

Ah good luck! It's not until you talk to people from other schools that you realise HOW popular economics is.

Also glad that I'm not the only one who thought that about LSE! You notice that because they have so many (over 51%) international students, that they form their own clique. I could say that about Warwick too, lots of Asian people grouping together in the cafe.

Which college did you go for at Durham?

Ah good luck! It's not until you talk to people from other schools that you realise HOW popular economics is.

Also glad that I'm not the only one who thought that about LSE! You notice that because they have so many (over 51%) international students, that they form their own clique. I could say that about Warwick too, lots of Asian people grouping together in the cafe.

Which college did you go for at Durham?

van mildert :smile: I want my own room :colondollar:
van mildert :smile: I want my own room :colondollar:

I'm glad its not just girls who want that! Durham is so 17th century for having shared rooms in most colleges! Although you can opt out after the first term.

Latest

Trending

Trending