Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Dat Guy)
    I think M2 mostly develops on M1, so it's manageable. I got 96 in M1 and somehow 100 in M2 'Real' fun comes in with M3 which is quite different to my mind. I'd rather do more stats modules, but my further maths class is just filled up with wanna-be engineers, so not much choice

Btw, I do English lit as well, but with Edexcel - haven't seen anyone else on TSR on the same board.
    That's a shame! It's all about doing FP3 instead of S3!

Being good at English and Maths is the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Being good at English and Maths is the way forward.
    Totally agree with you on that

My school even offers M4, which is crazy, but not S3... Why are engineers considered more important than economists?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper

My school even offers M4, which is crazy, but not S3... Why are engineers considered more important than economists?
    Given you get an interview, which you will with your UMS, have St. Catharine's given you some dates it could be? It'd be great to get a few of us together!

They aren't more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Given you get an interview, which you will with your UMS, have St. Catharine's given you some dates it could be? It'd be great to get a few of us together!

They aren't more important.
    No, I haven't got anything from them actually. All the stuff coming was from the university itself about the SAQ. It's really hard to prepare for an interview when you know you might not even get one!

But yeah, if I get it, I'd certainly like to meet some people! Maybe we could make up the new Bloomsbury Group or something like that

ReputationRep:

Similar bias to Mechanics at my school, 2-3 of my FM class want to do M3, M4 and M5 so our teacher will teach them that and the rest of the class who want to do Stats or Decision Maths will have to self-teach...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    If I remember rightly, your top three AS average is super high. I think you can be fairly confident you'll at least get an interview! If you wait until the invitation, you may not have enough time at all to prepare.

There should be plenty of TSR members around whatever day, I hope. It seems most colleges like to keep the same subjects around the same days. Emmanuel's are 7th and 8th of December.
    I wouldn't say it's super high, on the stalking page there are guys with 99% (and even 99.6%) average

How are you preparing yourself? Mostly dealing with maths?

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest - generally, what are the career aspirations of you guys here applying to Economics?

Banking? Academia? Consultancy? Or have no clue at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WalkerPrince)
    Out of interest - generally, what are the career aspirations of you guys here applying to Economics?

Not academia
    I want to do econ for two reasons
    1) After reading a good amount of stuff on it- I enjoy it much more than any other subject (I'll self teach the A level if i do a gap year- as it will be nice to have an actual qualification in it), but more importantly- the degree content sounds good
    2) I will use it as a springboard to help me get into certain career paths, but not academia

ReputationRep:

well I have no idea Although I figure economics leaves your options open so I'm not too worried

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth applying for Business Economics at Durham which requires A*AA when I only have AAA predicted?

ReputationRep:

Academia :yep:

Banking/Consultancy sounds a little...dry

:pierre:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Pancakeman123)
    well I have no idea Although I figure economics leaves your options open so I'm not too worried
    It does. I'm still considering: Banking / Finance, (Management) Consultancy, Accountancy and Actuarial, IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choppyy)
    Is it worth applying for Business Economics at Durham which requires A*AA when I only have AAA predicted?
    No, unless you have special circumstances OR can apply through access (which I don't even know if Durham has)

The grade requirements are pretty much set in stone. If it had said a range i.e. A*AA-AAA then you could have.

Email them to make 100%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    No, unless you have special circumstances OR can apply through access (which I don't even know if Durham has)

The grade requirements are pretty much set in stone. If it had said a range i.e. A*AA-AAA then you could have.

Email them to make 100%?
    I have now emailed them with my query. I can understand their reasoning for increasing their grade requirements but hope they can introduce a range of A*AA-AAA as you state.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choppyy)
    How about applying for business and management? When I went to the open day for economics we were told that if we were thinking of applying for business economics it would probably be better to apply for business and management. Typical offer is also ABB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pancakeman123)
    How about applying for business and management? When I went to the open day for economics we were told that if we were thinking of applying for business economics it would probably be better to apply for business and management. Typical offer is also ABB
    I have considered it however their course is on the Stockton campus and not in picturesque Durham!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Similar bias to Mechanics at my school, 2-3 of my FM class want to do M3, M4 and M5 so our teacher will teach them that and the rest of the class who want to do Stats or Decision Maths will have to self-teach...
    M5

ReputationRep:
    guys dont forget about the new LSE stalking page if you are applying there!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...age_2012_Entry

good luck to everyone and congrats to those who have already had offers!

ReputationRep:
    In regards to extra curricular stuff, I've only really mentioned three or four things and they're pretty much all academic related. Do you think that's enough? Too little? Not diverse enough?

I haven't mentioned any sport that I do for example...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Competencies)
    In regards to extra curricular stuff, I've only really mentioned three or four things and they're pretty much all academic related. Do you think that's enough? Too little? Not diverse enough?

I haven't mentioned any sport that I do for example...
    With non-academic stuff, I think its nice to have some stuff in, even if its just a brief sentence, but I doubt it will matter too much

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.