Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Definitely (I should really be telling you not to do it because that's my strategy and competition isn't good in this case, but I'm too kind )
    Haha, I guess all's fair in love and economics

Naa, but seriously, majority of people on this thread are probably going to end up studying at a top uni, whether it'd be Warwick, Cambridge, LSE, Oxford etc.. Anyways, thought you really wanted to go Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegenius31416)
    Does anyone here have any idea as to whether full Further Maths gives more of an advantage than just AS Further Maths for Top Unis? I'm not planning on dropping it but I'm just wondering if the extra effort (for example, the way my school does it, I'm doing C3 this year) is worth it.
    This I have no idea of, but that fact that you've got FM sorta puts you at an advantage I hear. Depends on what universities you wish to apply to aswell, some uni's may want it or others may not be too concerned. Mathematically based Economics courses will probably give you a good thumbs up and boost your chances of getting into the course because you have the skills necessary to do well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Does anyone here have any idea as to whether full Further Maths gives more of an advantage than just AS Further Maths for Top Unis? I'm not planning on dropping it but I'm just wondering if the extra effort (for example, the way my school does it, I'm doing C3 this year) is worth it.
    I'm sure it gives you a slight advantage, but I think as long as you have it to AS it doesn't really matter, most of the top 5 would rather you have it as fourth AS rather than a third A2.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Haha, I guess all's fair in love and economics

Naa, but seriously, majority of people on this thread are probably going to end up studying at a top uni, whether it'd be Warwick, Cambridge, LSE, Oxford etc.. Anyways, thought you really wanted to go Cambridge?
    Hopefully :P

I do I think but I'll be applying for Warwick too Just hope my GCSEs don't let me down for them

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it gives you a slight advantage, but I think as long as you have it to AS it doesn't really matter, most of the top 5 would rather you have it as fourth AS rather than a third A2.
    Well, I'll be taking it as a 4th A-Level. FP1 is a great module, you're going to enjoy it next year.

I'm hoping I'll get 100 UMS in C3 this summer (Although it's by far the hardest of my modules, the grade boundaries are very low), so if that happens, I'll basically be secured an A* in Maths (will just need to get an A in one of two possible attempts at C4). That way, I can stop focusing on getting the A* for (hopefully) one of my offers and instead focus on my German.

I really hope I get an offer from Warwick or Bristol!

and I hope you get all your offers too

ReputationRep:
    Dreaming of LSE...but probably York or Nottingham
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well, I'll be taking it as a 4th A-Level. FP1 is a great module, you're going to enjoy it next year.

I'm hoping I'll get 100 UMS in C3 this summer (Although it's by far the hardest of my modules, the grade boundaries are very low), so if that happens, I'll basically be secured an A* in Maths (will just need to get an A in one of two possible attempts at C4). That way, I can stop focusing on getting the A* for (hopefully) one of my offers and instead focus on my German.

I really hope I get an offer from Warwick or Bristol!

and I hope you get all your offers too
    Your so lucky! I wish my school did stuff like that :/ The best thing is where schools let you take the two full maths A-levels in your year 12 year so by the end of year 12 you could potentially have A*A* in maths and further maths, then you choose a further two subjects in A2 to do in your second year. Whilst this would be very intense I think it's very clever, as focusing for a whole year on maths you would get very good at it.

Hi rachelwho, LSE is a bit of a lottery, I really like the look of Nottingham too, a bit put off by york though because it's so far away!

ReputationRep:
    Your so lucky! I wish my school did stuff like that :/ The best thing is where schools let you take the two full maths A-levels in your year 12 year so by the end of year 12 you could potentially have A*A* in maths and further maths, then you choose a further two subjects in A2 to do in your second year. Whilst this would be very intense I think it's very clever, as focusing for a whole year on maths you would get very good at it.
    That would make everything so much easier

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I don't think that's a good idea, you need to show more than just mathematical skill (which, although important, is not everything). I'm doing 7 modules in one option block this year, so I'm sure it would be possible to do full Maths A-Level, most of/full Further Maths (no real point to this though) and 2 further AS subjects just in the first year of sixth form.

Have you got any work experience tateco? Are you doing anything else to strengthen your application?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Nah, I don't think that's a good idea, you need to show more than just mathematical skill (which, although important, is not everything). I'm doing 7 modules in one option block this year, so I'm sure it would be possible to do full Maths A-Level, most of/full Further Maths (no real point to this though) and 2 further AS subjects just in the first year of sixth form.

Have you got any work experience tateco? Are you doing anything else to strengthen your application?
    I've done a bit of work experience at an investment management bank, I am also the finance director for a young enterprise team and trade stocks a little bit. Also I am doing target 2.0 next year which will definitely be my most relevant to economics. I'll hardly mentioned the EC's though, I have though of quite a good stance for my personal statement though, obviously I'm not going to disclose it on here but I have a couple of ideas knocking around, what about you?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper

Hi rachelwho, LSE is a bit of a lottery, I really like the look of Nottingham too, a bit put off by york though because it's so far away!
    I haven't heard of any schools doing both full A-Levels in Year 12! I quite like the way my school does it: I will have AS-Levels in Maths and Further Maths after this year. In January I'll take C3 and C4 so I could have my 6 modules for A-Level Maths completed by March, with hopefully an A*!

I've done a bit of work experience at an investment management bank, I am also the finance director for a young enterprise team and trade stocks a little bit. Also I am doing target 2.0 next year which will definitely be my most relevant to economics. I'll hardly mentioned the EC's though, I have though of quite a good stance for my personal statement though, obviously I'm not going to disclose it on here but I have a couple of ideas knocking around, what about you?
    Haha, they do call it a personal statement for a reason!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, I also have a few ideas knocking around too

Target 2.0 sounds good, I want to do that but, for some reason, my school doesn't participate in that.

I am a main member of the YE team at my school too, although I guess every person applying for Economics is

I've got work experience at an Economics Consultancy this summer which should be good. Speaking to someone I know who did his there last year (he's got an offer for Economics and Management at Oxford now), he said he wrote a large chunk of his personal statement about his experiences, so that's a start for my PS

I'm also going to give the year abroad I want to do a brief mention I think. I've got a few ideas linking my interest in Germany to Economics too.

I still think I could do with a few more concrete things but I guess that's what grades are for :rolleyes: The good thing about applying for Economics (rather than something like Medicine) and not applying to the USA, is that we don't have to have loads of ECs, just demonstrate our knowledge through the personal statement and our outside reading (which I've been doing since Year 10 :cool:).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Target 2.0 sounds good, I want to do that but, for some reason, my school doesn't participate in that.

I am a main member of the YE team at my school too, although I guess every person applying for Economics is

I've got work experience at an Economics Consultancy this summer which should be good. Speaking to someone I know who did his there last year (he's got an offer for Economics and Management at Oxford now), he said he wrote a large chunk of his personal statement about his experiences there

I'm also going to give the year abroad I want to do a brief mention I think. I've got a few ideas linking my interest in Germany to Economics too.

I still think I could do with a few more concrete things but I guess that's what grades are for :rolleyes: The good thing about applying for Economics (rather than something like Medicine) and not applying to the USA, is that we don't have to have loads of ECs, just demonstrate our knowledge through the personal statement and our outside reading (which I've been doing since Year 10 :cool:).
    Yeah target 2.0 is very competitive even for the school's trying to participate, hopefully our school gets the choice to and I'll hopefully be captain :P

Wow that's brilliant, how did you go about getting that? It must be really helpful not just for the personal statement but for confirming that you want to study it. I wouldn't worry too much about EC's, as you said reading around the subject and having a sound knowledge is probably more beneficial, I have tried to read around but find it hard to make the time! I'm going to read a lot this summer before starting work on my personal statement.

Would you consider having a gap year to go to Germany instead or are you just interested in going as a study placement? I ask because gap years give so much more flexibility in that you can apply twice giving you much more leeway the first time with risky choices. I really think you should apply to UCL for the straight economics course, they absolutely love languages there as it's all about being a global university.

Groat, that sounds good with the maths, hopefully if some universities haven't made their mind up whether or not to give you an offer you can email them and tell them the good news on the day :P

ReputationRep:
    Yeah target 2.0 is very competitive even for the school's trying to participate, hopefully our school gets the choice to and I'll hopefully be captain :P

Wow that's brilliant, how did you go about getting that? It must be really helpful not just for the personal statement but for confirming that you want to study it. I wouldn't worry too much about EC's, as you said reading around the subject and having a sound knowledge is probably more beneficial, I have tried to read around but find it hard to make the time! I'm going to read a lot this summer before starting work on my personal statement.

Would you consider having a gap year to go to Germany instead or are you just interested in going as a study placement? I ask because gap years give so much more flexibility in that you can apply twice giving you much more leeway the first time with risky choices. I really think you should apply to UCL for the straight economics course, they absolutely love languages there as it's all about being a global university.
    Good luck getting a place on there and I'm sure with your interest in Economics you'll have no problem convincing your teacher to become the captain.

A contact :cool: I won't say anymore...

Yes, I've recently not had loads of time to do reading but I'll pick it up again after exams. Got quite a few good books to read, not just popular economics books. My library at school has some quite advanced books, including one (which I plan on reading if I can understand it, haha) about Economics and the EU (nice little link in to Germany again here ). Looks quite technical and should impress (and be quite interesting) - it's aimed at second and third year undergraduates studying a European Economics module.

I don't know about UCL. I really want to go on an Erasmus year (which they don't offer), it's really important to me to have the chance to become fluent in German. Also, it's an extra year of free tuition so, with fees so high, I'll happily take some free modules/credits

I'm not sure what I would do on a gap year and I'd like to study German a couple more years before going there to work or study.

I'm not looking to go to Oxbridge, LSE or UCL, I just really hope I can get an offer for one of Warwick, Bristol or possibly Edinburgh (really interested to see where their fees go). Hopefully I'm not aiming out of what I can achieve, although if I didn't get offers from these Unis, I would probably reapply.

I would hopefully (as long as I actually enjoy studying Economics, which I think I will) go on to do postgrad in Germany somewhere, perhaps at Bonn or Mannheim Uni. Although the course would be in English, it would be very beneficial to speak German fluently before I get there, so that's another reason for the Erasmus year. Also, a year not counting towards final degree classification plus being in a foreign city with lots of students equals a fun year

I know it's a little early to say, but what are you thinking about doing career/study wise after finishing your BSc?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Good luck getting a place on there and I'm sure with your interest in Economics you'll have no problem convincing your teacher to become the captain.

A contact :cool: I won't say anymore...

Yes, I've recently not had loads of time to do reading but I'll pick it up again after exams. Got quite a few good books to read, not just popular economics books. My library at school has some quite advanced books, including one (which I plan on reading if I can understand it, haha) about Economics and the EU (nice little link in to Germany again here ). Looks quite technical and should impress (and be quite interesting) - it's aimed at second and third year undergraduates studying a European Economics module.

I don't know about UCL. I really want to go on an Erasmus year (which they don't offer), it's really important to me to have the chance to become fluent in German. Also, it's an extra year of free tuition so, with fees so high, I'll happily take some free modules/credits

I'm not sure what I would do on a gap year and I'd like to study German a couple more years before going there to work or study.

I'm not looking to go to Oxbridge, LSE or UCL, I just really hope I can get an offer for one of Warwick, Bristol or possibly Edinburgh (really interested to see where their fees go). Hopefully I'm not aiming out of what I can achieve, although if I didn't get offers from these Unis, I would probably reapply.

I would hopefully (as long as I actually enjoy studying Economics, which I think I will) go on to do postgrad in Germany somewhere, perhaps at Bonn or Mannheim Uni. Although the course would be in English, it would be very beneficial to speak German fluently before I get there, so that's another reason for the Erasmus year. Also, a year not counting towards final degree classification plus being in a foreign city with lots of students equals a fun year

I know it's a little early to say, but what are you thinking about doing career/study wise after finishing your BSc?
    I'm going to try and read some more in-depth books after exams because at the moment I've only read one book that could be considered advanced (i.e. not the commercial tat).

You definitely shouldn't compromise on what you want for prestige, it's good your so committed to the study of German, my brother studied European something or other focusing on German and it got him his job.

I'm not too sure what I want to do after the undergraduate course and it is definitely too early to decide, but I really do like the idea of studying economics at a higher level. I can certainly see myself going on to do at least a masters degree (particularly if I don't get into an undergraduate degree at the top 5). After that I am quite interested in economics as an actual career as well as finance (not just for the money but I do actually find it interesting). I do think that if I do ever have enough money to be relaxed in life that I would like to go on to do a PhD in economics. I find the subject very interesting and can't wait to get on a degree focusing on it (if all goes well!)

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to try and read some more in-depth books after exams because at the moment I've only read one book that could be considered advanced (i.e. not the commercial tat)
    Which book out of interest?

I have a fair few waiting for me to get through atm but I'm taking my time with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachelwho)
    Dreaming of LSE...but probably York or Nottingham
    Nottingham's still a pretty good uni and I think that LSE is a bit over-rated.. :P

Wish my sixth form did target 2.0, seems pretty interesting espically because we're doing the Macroeconomic part of our AS Economics course. (But lazy teachers.. What can you do..) Atleast I was on the EP scheme my sixth ran.

Going to have really dig deep to find a placement at any economics firms in London. It seems that the only way you can really get a placement is by knowing a friend or so

Even then, after my exams and during the summer, I'm going to start on the list of books listed up in this forum. Anyways, I'm pretty sure us guys can't wait for the next year to fly by and to start at uni :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Nottingham's still a pretty good uni and I think that LSE is a bit over-rated.. :P

Wish my sixth form did target 2.0, seems pretty interesting espically because we're doing the Macroeconomic part of our AS Economics course. (But lazy teachers.. What can you do..) Atleast I was on the EP scheme my sixth ran.

Going to have really dig deep to find a placement at any economics firms in London. It seems that the only way you can really get a placement is by knowing a friend or so

Even then, after my exams and during the summer, I'm going to start on the list of books listed up in this forum. Anyways, I'm pretty sure us guys can't wait for the next year to fly by and to start at uni :P
    Nottingham is a very good university, because it's so big there is so much flexibility in the modules which I think is brilliant. I'm definitely going to be applying and if it's one of the only offers I get back I'll happily firm it. The target 2.0 thing isn't until November, so I'll only be able to say that I'm preparing for it on my personal statement. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a work experience placement, from what I've seen on here they really aren't too bothered by it.

What books do you plan on reading? I need to order a few over the next couple of weeks but not sure on which ones to get...

(Original post by Psychotic546)
    Which book out of interest?

I have a fair few waiting for me to get through atm but I'm taking my time with them
    Good question, got any recommendations? I've read thinking strategically and that was really good
    • PS Helper

PS Helper

I've got work experience at an Economics Consultancy this summer which should be good. Speaking to someone I know who did his there last year (he's got an offer for Economics and Management at Oxford now), he said he wrote a large chunk of his personal statement about his experiences, so that's a start for my PS

I'm certainly not involved with Young Enterprise - I'm not quite sure where it plays relevance into studying Economics!

What is this Web 2.0 programme you are all on about? I assume it's not what I think it is (to do with website design and programming)!

ReputationRep:
    Target 2.0 is an economics-related challenge run by the Bank of England.
    http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/educa...zero/index.htm

I'm not involved with Young Enterprise, the enrichment never appealed to me personally, I chose to run 10k instead. It could bring in dedication, motivation and communication (to get donations)? It's generally something I use for every application I've ever done. I probably ought to have done something more related to economics..

I still haven't got any work experience :rolleyes:, I could go to a PPE Study Day at Oxford in the summer, if the staff decide to reply to me..
    I'm quite academic with nothing very practical to show for it. YEAH!

(Oh and if anyone's interested in the Big Four, Deloitte have opened their Scholar days for us, no tests required, you just type in your grades and they assess you from there )

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.