Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    I'm pretty sure us guys can't wait for the next year to fly by and to start at uni :P
    Right.

Although, I've got to make sure I focus on getting the grades needed to get there.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SillyString)
    Target 2.0 is an economics-related challenge run by the Bank of England.
    http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/educa...zero/index.htm

I'm not involved with Young Enterprise, the enrichment never appealed to me personally, I chose to run 10k instead. It could bring in dedication, motivation and communication (to get donations)? It's generally something I use for every application I've ever done. I probably ought to have done something more related to economics..

I still haven't got any work experience :rolleyes:, I could go to a PPE Study Day at Oxford in the summer, if the staff decide to reply to me..
    I'm quite academic with nothing very practical to show for it. YEAH!

(Oh and if anyone's interested in the Big Four, Deloitte have opened their Scholar days for us, no tests required, you just type in your grades and they assess you from there )
    I'm going to Deloitte on the 6th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Good question, got any recommendations? I've read thinking strategically and that was really good
    Well I'm reading The truth about markets by John Kay atm which is pretty good.
    Have Globalisation and its discontents by Joseph Stiglitz waiting and apparently it's very good.

Oh and the obvious Freakonomics (which isn't an economics book)

(Oh and if anyone's interested in the Big Four, Deloitte have opened their Scholar days for us, no tests required, you just type in your grades and they assess you from there )
    Can you share the link? Might be worth having a look at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)

Can you share the link? Might be worth having a look at.
    http://scholars.deloitte.co.uk/meet-us.cfm

I'm there for the 1st July
    I'm taking a lot of time off from college once my exams are done

I'm awaiting KPMG now. (:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

KPMG have an insight day? :O Where? when?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I haven't got round to applying for the JP Morgan Schools Programme - although I thought you didn't like to associate Investment Banking with studying Economics.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    I haven't got round to applying for the JP Morgan Schools Programme - although I thought you didn't like to associate Investment Banking with studying Economics.
    I don't :P But I can't help it if people that study economics tend to go into finance

ReputationRep:
    Aha.. KPMG apparently run them every term, just waiting for them to open up..
    "We do not have any more Business Insights Days this term. We will soon be scheduling our next Business Insight Days, so please return to these pages later in the summer. " It's designed for L6 A level students so we need to get in this summer! (:

Finance is fun!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    "We do not have any more Business Insights Days this term. We will soon be scheduling our next Business Insight Days, so please return to these pages later in the summer. " It's designed for L6 A level students so we need to get in this summer! (:

Finance is fun!
    Is this concerning the gap year scheme or school leavers?

ReputationRep:

Finance is fun!
    Is l6 A level student, year 12 at present, right?

ReputationRep:
    Is this concerning the gap year scheme or school leavers?
    I have no clue.. I tend to apply to things without knowing what they are.. Here's the link? It's probably of more use than I am.. I think it can be used for both though.

http://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/A-Level...9.aspx?pg=3096

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    Is l6 A level student, year 12 at present, right?
    Uh huh I think both years can go though.. just it's more suitable for year 12s? Idk.

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone, needed some advice, ive almost finished my 1st yr doing chemistry but it really isnt something i can see myself going through for another 4 years, i want to apply for economics or econ and finance as the course looks a lot more interesting and career wise it is more related to what i want to do, this is for the 2012 entrance, how should i go about doing this?
    Im planning to take a gap year in order to retake some modules in maths and chemistry as i got BBB at a2's and for a decent place id need as least ABB

Appreciate any help

ReputationRep:

What do you expect to get out of an insight day?

It's not something to put on a personal statement or a CV.

And everything you learn from them can be found on the internet...

EDIT: And an insight day at one of the 'Big 4' isn't even relevant to Economics in any way. I mean, IB has at least some relevance what with M&A and so on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply for Economics ^^"
    as for the unis im going to apply for, they're most likely going to be
    1. LSE
    2. UCL
    3. SOAS [for combined degree with a language]
    4. Bristol
    5. Not sure D:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sagar)
    hi everyone, needed some advice, ive almost finished my 1st yr doing chemistry but it really isnt something i can see myself going through for another 4 years, i want to apply for economics or econ and finance as the course looks a lot more interesting and career wise it is more related to what i want to do, this is for the 2012 entrance, how should i go about doing this?
    Im planning to take a gap year in order to retake some modules in maths and chemistry as i got BBB at a2's and for a decent place id need as least ABB

Appreciate any help
    This would be best placed in the applications and UCAS sections of the forum, nearly all of us haven't got any experience at all with university admissions

(Original post by Competencies)
    What do you expect to get out of an insight day?

It's not something to put on a personal statement or a CV.

And everything you learn from them can be found on the internet...

EDIT: And an insight day at one of the 'Big 4' isn't even relevant to Economics in any way. I mean, IB has at least some relevance what with M&A and so on.

The reason these insight days are useful is that they give you an idea of what the company is actually like. Yes the information you can probably find on the internet but you can't experience the offices/staff. Also, I've heard these companies like it if you come to their insight days, and some of the time if you get onto the insight day you automatically get past their first stage when applying there at a later stage. I personally think it is definitely worthwhile if you are considering gap year placements (or even future employment) within the firm.

ReputationRep:
    What books do you plan on reading? I need to order a few over the next couple of weeks but not sure on which ones to get...
    I was thinking of starting in the summer with the easygoing economic books such as Freakonomics and The Undercover Economist and then progress and start to read more in depth books by Keynes and other well known economists
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    I was thinking of starting in the summer with the easygoing economic books such as Freakonomics and The Undercover Economist and then progress and start to read more in depth books by Keynes and other well known economists
    Under cover economist was a good start for me, wasn't that impressed with Freakonomics though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    I wouldn't bother with Freakonomics but The Undercover Economist is really good because it has easy chapters on lots of different topics like globalisation and game theory and you can choose a couple ones you like and then get some more indepth books covering them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Competencies)
    I wouldn't bother with Freakonomics but The Undercover Economist is really good because it has easy chapters on lots of different topics like globalisation and game theory and you can choose a couple ones you like and then get some more indepth books covering them.

Under cover economist was a good start for me, wasn't that impressed with Freakonomics though...
    I've heard a lot of positive things about The Undercover Economist, but I think the thread on this forum about good Economic books to read is a bit old.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.