Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanLJG)
    I didn't :cry2: Guess I should be expecting a rejection then
    If your grades are good then you shouldn't really...
    but if you do get rejected, at least you will have something else to write about on this thread and there may be a facebook group you can join along the lines of: 'guess what, i got rejected from....'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    Just thought I'd say that Smith and Keynes are not good reads. They're not done for reading at this stage and it won't benefit you much. Also whilst they have the "original" ideas and are famous, it's a bit like reading Newton. Any current economics book will have all their knowledge contained in it in a more, concise and easily understood way.

I think it's a good read, however it's done for the general public as in it has very little economics substance in it so while it's interesting, it doesn't help your understanding.
    I read Keynes and Smith partly for the challenge, and partly because I wanted to compare their ideas with each other, which I thought was best done by reading the original works - I had a long holiday this summer so digested them on various beaches in Greece. As for the number of books, I'm hoping for an interview and the advice from various admissions tutors, teachers etc has been to read as much as possible so I went for it. I only mentioned 3 in my PS. I think that Freakonomics etc are "second rate" because they're written as a more popular book and less of an academic work, so suffers from oversimplification in that regard. Compare them to Akerlof and Shiller's Animal Spirits and you will get my point. Additionally, from an applications point of view, mentioning them is so common that there's almost no point in it, especially at the top 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    That's an interesting reading list, but nothing on microeconomics I see! A General Theory is not a good read, in my opinion - if you're interested in Keynesian economics, there are much better books.

How's the reading going?
    I've started going for some microeconomics ones now, but its the macro that really gets me interested. Just trying to get a balance now in preparation for interview - some game theory books especially. I struggled with A General Theory, I couldn't be bothered to work through all the maths. Bucholz's book condensed it all into a few chapters so that was much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    What's the point of reading so many books (for your PS I assume)? Especially ones like The Wealth of Nations.

Also, why would you describe Freakonomics as second rate?
    Not much for PS, I talked about game theory and the work of Sachs and Easterly on development economics, but more for interview - I don't do economics A level so went for it on the reading front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quark123)
    Not much for PS, I talked about game theory and the work of Sachs and Easterly on development economics, but more for interview - I don't do economics A level so went for it on the reading front.
    Yeah I did something similar

ReputationRep:
    lol sounds like you're sorted for the interview, especially if you don't do the econ a-level... which college are you applying to? and what grades did you get?

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who is yet to send my UCAS off? Not even sure my personal statement's finished..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogueTrombonist)
    Am I the only one who is yet to send my UCAS off? Not even sure my personal statement's finished..
    Yet you have an offer...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredbol)
    Yet you have an offer...?
    Guaranteed Offer Scheme from Newcastle, basically it's not official yet, but will be once they recieve my app..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogueTrombonist)
    Guaranteed Offer Scheme from Newcastle, basically it's not official yet, but will be once they recieve my app..
    Nice one. congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azure.skies)
    I've heard of terrible student experiences for Manc Econ students and really that is perhaps why it does so badly in league tables. You have really good grades. You'll get into your other choices definitely Are you talking about Uni of Amsterdam?
    Thank you yes I am. also considering Rotterdam. the international courses obviously xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama67)
    Unsuccessful from Manchester... weird as I'm predicted A*A*AA and have AAA and like 7a*s and an a at gcse... oh well, let's hope somewhere else wants me right?
    That's weird.. I'm predicted AAB and i got ABBB at AS and only 1 A* at GCSE and they gave me an offer lool?

ReputationRep:
    ConsPricay theories continue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by varadh)
    Girton, only cause i've never heard of it. haha

i waaaaant an interview. lol
    doesn't everone
    Girton!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucymoore1567)
    congratulations! what were your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking?
    I've already got my A2's I took a gap year this year but I got AAA in the Summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patra)
    just got an offer from Lancaster!
    WOW congratulations mate i applied to Lancaster myself but i didnt know theyve started giving out offers :O ...so scared...
    may i ask what your grades at GCSE, AS and predicted are? and what other unis have you applied to
    good luck with the rest of your applications. woo

ReputationRep:
    I read Keynes and Smith partly for the challenge, and partly because I wanted to compare their ideas with each other, which I thought was best done by reading the original works - I had a long holiday this summer so digested them on various beaches in Greece. As for the number of books, I'm hoping for an interview and the advice from various
    admissions tutors, teachers etc has been to read as much as possible so I went for it. I only mentioned 3 in my PS. I think that Freakonomics etc are "second rate" because they're written as a more popular book and less of an academic work, so suffers from oversimplification in that regard. Compare them to Akerlof and Shiller's Animal Spirits and you will get my point. Additionally, from an applications point of view, mentioning them is so common that there's almost no point in it, especially at the top 5.
    I also read animal spirits, what did you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    assuming no one has heard from durham yet???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam838)
    Girton!
    I've got an interview at Girton for Economics on december 12th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pancakeman123)
    assuming no one has heard from durham yet???
    No I don't think anyone has for Economics

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.