Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    Ah ok I thought both of you got offers But you'll get offers soon hopefully!
    Thanks, hope you do too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    I have something to collect for both, and all four of my interviewers are economists
    I only have one interviewer in my first, but 2 in my second. Don't know what to expect of the interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amyk94)
    I only have one interviewer in my first, but 2 in my second. Don't know what to expect of the interview!
    Hm, exactly the same for me. Which date is yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dat Guy)
    Hm, exactly the same for me. Which date is yours?
    8/12, what about you?
    I really want to know what this preparatory study thing is!!

Also is your first interviewer from another department?

ReputationRep:
    12/12. Yeah, I start to wonder too.

Yep, a mathematician actually, if I'm correct. What about yours?

ReputationRep:
    12/12. Yeah, I start to wonder too.

Yep, a mathematician actually, if I'm correct. What about yours?
    Ah I wish mine was as late as yours! :P
    Yeah me too, do you think we'll get asked subject specific questions then in the first interview?
    If it's a "general" interview, do you think if would be just "why did you choose cambridge/st Catz/economics etc." ?

ReputationRep:
    Ah I wish mine was as late as yours! :P
    Yeah me too, do you think we'll get asked subject specific questions then in the first interview?
    If it's a "general" interview, do you think if would be just "why did you choose cambridge/st Catz/economics etc." ?
    I think that would be too easy, so I'd expect something harder, especially from a mathematician. Do we have same interviewers then for both interviews? (I mean, you and me)

ReputationRep:
    I think that would be too easy, so I'd expect something harder, especially from a mathematician. Do we have same interviewers then for both interviews? (I mean, you and me)
    I don't know who you have though :P
    Also what are your gcse/AS/predictions?? if you dont mind me asking

ReputationRep:
    As for Cambridge interviews, I think there can be huge differences from college to college. I, for example, only have one interview with two economists. A friend of mine applied last year and had two, and he was asked all about maths in both of them. No article, no test or tsa, none of the general "why cambridge" questions. Even no economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esztereva)
    As for Cambridge interviews, I think there can be huge differences from college to college. I, for example, only have one interview with two economists. A friend of mine applied last year and had two, and he was asked all about maths in both of them. No article, no test or tsa, none of the general "why cambridge" questions. Even no economics.
    Thanks for sharing
    Which college are you applying to if you don't mind me asking? Also where did your friend apply? Sounds something like what I'm expecting :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for sharing
    Which college are you applying to if you don't mind me asking? Also where did your friend apply? Sounds something like what I'm expecting :P
    I'm applying to Queens', while my friend applied to Corpus Christi - which apparently doesn't offer Economics this year.

Good luck with St. Catz

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Queens', while my friend applied to Corpus Christi - which apparently doesn't offer Economics this year.

Good luck with St. Catz
    Ah ok thanks and you too!!

ReputationRep:
    Downing interview!

ReputationRep:
    Just got my Cambridge interview (Christs)!

ReputationRep:
    Alright this is a question regarding reference letters. Which teacher is best to write a reference? Both my Maths and Economics teachers have said they'd be happy to write a reference for me. As I'm applying as an individual ... do referees get contacted usually? Because my Math teacher gets stuck when it comes to speaking in English but I heard he writes quite effective references. I'm worried about how he'll come across if unis contact him I sound so stupid.

Also is it best to get a Math teacher to write it since I've written very little about my interest in Math in my PS? I'm planning on sending off my UCAS in the next 2 days so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azure.skies)
    Alright this is a question regarding reference letters. Which teacher is best to write a reference? Both my Maths and Economics teachers have said they'd be happy to write a reference for me. As I'm applying as an individual ... do referees get contacted usually? Because my Math teacher gets stuck when it comes to speaking in English but I heard he writes quite effective references. I'm worried about how he'll come across if unis contact him I sound so stupid.

Also is it best to get a Math teacher to write it since I've written very little about my interest in Math in my PS? I'm planning on sending off my UCAS in the next 2 days so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    I also applied as an individual and my 'class tutor' wrote my reference. She is actually my Literature teacher, but as she is responsible for the overall performance of the whole class she was able to talk about my mathematical abilities, as well as other things. Maybe you could ask your teachers to discuss with each other? (That's what I did, well, sort of.)
    She hasn't been contacted yet, luckily, since she's not very confident about speaking in English, either.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I also applied as an individual and my 'class tutor' wrote my reference. She is actually my Literature teacher, but as she is responsible for the overall performance of the whole class she was able to talk about my mathematical abilities, as well as other things. Maybe you could ask your teachers to discuss with each other? (That's what I did, well, sort of.)
    She hasn't been contacted yet, luckily, since she's not very confident about speaking in English, either.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks! That was really helpful This whole process is so weird and confusing to me lol. I'm kind of leaning toward my eco teacher at the moment anyway. Did you get any offers? This is just to reassure myself that unis don't really want to talk to referees before making offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azure.skies)
    Thanks! That was really helpful This whole process is so weird and confusing to me lol. I'm kind of leaning toward my eco teacher at the moment anyway. Did you get any offers? This is just to reassure myself that unis don't really want to talk to referees before making offers
    I got a Cambridge interview. They even asked for the name and address of my school's headteacher, but they haven't contacted her, either.

And I'm currently exchanging emails with UCL, who have some problems with the qualifications I'm studying. (From my point of view: problems=them misunderstanding the whole thing.) So don't worry, it was me who was contacted every time, not my teacher.

Where are you applying, out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:

I hope this helps.
    Hello neighbour! I'll be applying as an individual in 2013 too, and here in Romania we also have a "class tutor". He is my Computer Science professor. I think I'll ask him to write my reference, but I'm thinking about my Economics professor too (because I'll have a 90% Economics PS, she knows more about the degree I want to do etc.). Ah, I have the same problems about the exam I'll take - the Romanian Baccalaureate.

Good luck with your applications and congrats to those who obtained an interview at Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aalex)
    Hello neighbour! I'll be applying as an individual in 2013 too, and here in Romania we also have a "class tutor". He is my Computer Science professor. I think I'll ask him to write my reference, but I'm thinking about my Economics professor too (because I'll have a 90% Economics PS, she knows more about the degree I want to do etc.). Ah, I have the same problems about the exam I'll take - the Romanian Baccalaureate.

Good luck with your applications and congrats to those who obtained an interview at Cambridge!
    Hey there. It's great that your're already thinking about you application, good luck to you too in advance.

Piece of advice: email every university you're considering applying to and ask for details about how they'll treat your qulification! I didn't do that and only looked at the international section of the websites of universities, checked whether they accepted the Hungarian Matura and applied. And now I'm in a really complicated situation, they clearly misunderstand the Hungarian education system, and I try to adapt to their requirements, but most possibly it's too late and I'll get rejected. (This is just UCL, though.) So if you want to avoid getting into a similar situation email everyone in advance, and be prepared for the fact that they won't know anything about the nature of your qulification, but still, you're not the one making the final decision.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.