Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esztereva)
    I got a Cambridge interview. They even asked for the name and address of my school's headteacher, but they haven't contacted her, either.

And I'm currently exchanging emails with UCL, who have some problems with the qualifications I'm studying. (From my point of view: problems=them misunderstanding the whole thing.) So don't worry, it was me who was contacted every time, not my teacher.

Where are you applying, out of curiosity?
    Ok, that makes me more reassured.

Don't UCL claim to be a global university? They should be more aware of other qualifications. Hope everything gets sorted for you though

I'm applying to Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol/Southampton and my parents are kind of adamant that I apply to LSE even though they want A* Math so I'm going to put LSE A&F even though my PS talks more about economics, finance At least my parents can't say I didn't try I know I can get A* in Maths but I think my teachers won't predict me an A*. I had only 83% in my AS due to extenuating circumstances. I was quite disappointed with my AS results actually (AABB one with the A being above 90%) given that I did so well in my O Levels. But really that's life.

Where have you applied apart from UCL and Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there. It's great that your're already thinking about you application, good luck to you too in advance.

Piece of advice: email every university you're considering applying to and ask for details about how they'll treat your qulification! I didn't do that and only looked at the international section of the websites of universities, checked whether they accepted the Hungarian Matura and applied. And now I'm in a really complicated situation, they clearly misunderstand the Hungarian education system, and I try to adapt to their requirements, but most possibly it's too late and I'll get rejected. (This is just UCL, though.) So if you want to avoid getting into a similar situation email everyone in advance, and be prepared for the fact that they won't know anything about the nature of your qulification, but still, you're not the one making the final decision.
    Thank you! I already started e-mailing unis to ask them about the entry requirements for my qualification. I have the same problem with UCL about the Romanian Baccalaureate, you can see a discussion about my situation on this thread I created.

ReputationRep:
    Can I join this Eastern European neighbourly love-fest?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you're not taking A-levels or IB, and your qualification is treated like **** by some universities that consider themselves "global".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letmewin94)
    Has anyone heard from Homerton?
    dw don't think anyone's heard from them yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aalex)
    Thank you! I already started e-mailing unis to ask them about the entry requirements for my qualification. I have the same problem with UCL about the Romanian Baccalaureate, you can see a discussion about my situation on this thread I created.
    I have the feeling UCL don't want to have many internationals unless they are overseas students that pay a lot... They treat ALL european qualifications like ****. For example they ask Germans for an 1.1 in the Abitur which is like 44/45 in the IB... Even LSE and Cambridge give out lower offers.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    I have the feeling UCL don't want to have many internationals unless they are overseas students that pay a lot... They treat ALL european qualifications like ****. For example they ask Germans for an 1.1 in the Abitur which is like 44/45 in the IB... Even LSE and Cambridge give out lower offers.
    Wow really? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Wow really? :lolwut:
    Unfortunetely yes... That's why I applied to Durham University instead.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Unfortunetely yes... That's why I applied to Durham University instead.
    UCL's loss

ReputationRep:
    UCL's loss
    Thanks Durham is also a decent university so I don't really regret it

Now I am just hoping for an Oxford interview...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks Durham is also a decent university so I don't really regret it

Now I am just hoping for an Oxford interview...
    I regret not applying to Durham

You'll get one They tend to give them out later I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azure.skies)
    Where have you applied apart from UCL and Cambridge.
    I've applied to LSE, Warwick and St. Andrews - I'm really hoping to get offered a place by the latter.
    What subjects are you studying?

---

Regarding how UCL treats internationals: The requirements for Hungarians are not impossibly hard. However, they didn't say what they wanted in advance on theire website. Now they say they can't consider my application, because I only do two higher level Maturas. It's insane, because here in Hungary we learn 10+ subjects, and it's not like A-level, which you either do, or you don't. I can chooce to do the Matura in any subject I wish, even at higher level, and I only have to make this decision in February. I only indicated two HL subjects on my UCAS because more than that wouldn't make any sense in the Hungarian system (it's based on points, and there are extra points for HL). But I can do the HL Matura in an additional subject (for example Literature) quite easily, it's just that UCL clearly has no idea what they're talking about, nor did they provide me with details beforehand.
    It's party my fault, I know, I shuldn't have believed what was on their website. And now I'm even more worried, because I don't know if for example Warwick will come up with such insane requirements contradicting what is said on their website. Maybe I should just email them.

And sorry to all UK applicants for this international complaining.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    And sorry to all UK applicants for this international complaining.
    Sounds like your complaints are founded anyway, and this thread is for everyone not just UK nationals

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your complaints are founded anyway, and this thread is for everyone not just UK nationals
    What happened to "British threads for British university applicants"?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    What happened to "British threads for British university applicants"?!
    Too traditional

ReputationRep:
    I regret not applying to Durham

You'll get one They tend to give them out later I think
    The only thing I don't like about the course at Durham is that it is a BA and not a Bsc. But the university itself is great
    I heard that they will tell us before the 30th of November, so I am really excited but whether I get an invitation depends on my performance in the TSA... I don't think I did that well in it but hopefully it's enough
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The only thing I don't like about the course at Durham is that it is a BA and not a Bsc. But the university itself is great
    I heard that they will tell us before the 30th of November, so I am really excited but whether I get an invitation depends on my performance in the TSA... I don't think I did that well in it but hopefully it's enough
    Well good luck and keep me updated!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to LSE, Warwick and St. Andrews - I'm really hoping to get offered a place by the latter.
    What subjects are you studying?
    I'm doing 4 A2's Maths, Economics, Physics, Chemistry and I've picked AS Further Maths this year becasue I just find it challenging but I'm going to have to bulk load of the studying on my own cause my school doesn't teach the subject but are allowing me to take it. I'm predicted A*AAA but those predictions could have been better with slightly better AS's.

You could ask your head tutor to contact the Unis and clarify things about your system. I'm sure Cambridge will be much nicer than other unis and you'll get in I've seen it happen at times that Oxbridge make more effort to understand foreign qualifications. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Right, same thing about the Romanian Baccalaureate. For example, Trinity (Cambridge) is asking for at least 8 overall at the Romanian Baccalaureate for Economics. UCL is asking for at least 9.5 overall with 10 in Maths M1 (equivalent to Further Maths A-levels). So perfect paper at Maths, not even one mistake. That's insane.

ReputationRep:
    Well good luck and keep me updated!
    Thanks, I will! And you keep me updated as well

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.