Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    I'm actually in yer 12, but it's funny you ask because I think I'll apply to chch too and with the sane gcses and hopefully the same ASs and predictions , best of luck with your application!
    Thanks, best of luck with AS as well, perhaps meet you at Chch in two years time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azure.skies)
    I'm sure Cambridge will be much nicer than other unis and you'll get in I've seen it happen at times that Oxbridge make more effort to understand foreign qualifications. Good luck!
    Yes, that's what I'm hoping for. Best of luck to you, too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azure.skies)
    I've seen it happen at times that Oxbridge make more effort to understand foreign qualifications. Good luck!
    That's true. LSE and Oxbridge are among the only universities that really know about foreign qualifications because they have a long history of international applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aalex)
    Right, same thing about the Romanian Baccalaureate. For example, Trinity (Cambridge) is asking for at least 8 overall at the Romanian Baccalaureate for Economics. UCL is asking for at least 9.5 overall with 10 in Maths M1 (equivalent to Further Maths A-levels). So perfect paper at Maths, not even one mistake. That's insane.
    It is indeed insane... Well I would choose a different uni then, that's what I did. Why would I want to go to a university that don't even try to understand my qualification? I wish you best of luck though! Hopefully you'll get into your top choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJWoolman)
    How long ago did you apply to Sheffield, I really want to go there and I'm so eager to find out!
    I've got offers form Surrey and UEA so far
    i applied about 6 weeks ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apex87)
    I too have applied to Kent, when did you get your offer through?
    i got the offer about 2-3 weeks ago

ReputationRep:
    Is that for straight Eco? I applied for financial Eco at Kent.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what the downing maths test is like?

ReputationRep:
    Something some of you may enjoy -

An Introduction to Milton Friedman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcaovuP84Q

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WalkerPrince)
    Something some of you may enjoy -

An Introduction to Milton Friedman - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcaovuP84Q
    Where has the guy lecturing applied to?

ReputationRep:
    just a question to you guys...
    How much difference is there between the 'top five' - Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL
    In terms of: reputation; job prospects; difficulty of the degree; etc...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jacky23)
    How much difference is there between the 'top five' - Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL
    They are all very good universities and that's all that should matter. You are basically asking "What is the easiest degree I can do to get me the best job?" which is probably not the best way to choose your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    where has the guy lecturing applied to?
    lse, ucl ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    That's true. LSE and Oxbridge are among the only universities that really know about foreign qualifications because they have a long history of international applicants.
    Lol are you suggesting that UCL doesn't have a long history of having international applicants?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    They are all very good universities and that's all that should matter. You are basically asking "What is the easiest degree I can do to get me the best job?" which is probably not the best way to choose your degree.
    C'mon that's a perfectly valid question.

I'd be be concerned if a prospective applicant didn't enquire about a course's reputation, job prospects and academic rigour...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacky23)
    I'd imagine that Oxbridge and LSE are above UCL and Warwick, but tbf any top 5/6 is a good achievement and will put you in contention for the top grad positions
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Cabine Sono Qui)
    C'mon that's a perfectly valid question.

I'd be be concerned if a prospective applicant didn't enquire about a course's reputation, job prospects and academic rigour...
    Yeah but it's the way they said it, they didn't say academic rigour they said difficulty, which implies they want an easy ride. If you wanted an academically rigorous degree you would say "most academically rigorous", not "most difficult".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aalex)
    Right, same thing about the Romanian Baccalaureate. For example, Trinity (Cambridge) is asking for at least 8 overall at the Romanian Baccalaureate for Economics. UCL is asking for at least 9.5 overall with 10 in Maths M1 (equivalent to Further Maths A-levels). So perfect paper at Maths, not even one mistake. That's insane.
    You think its insane ? Haha , you really dont know how competitive it is to get into UCL econ and how highly regarded it is .....LSE , UCL are on par and nothing is different between the two , most applicants who got into LSE were rejected by UCL and vice versa , but you are right UCL wants the very best , period ! If you aint up for it , you wont make it .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WalkerPrince)
    lse, ucl ...
    No Cambridge? If so, I'm surprised. He seemed to know his stuff. Are you the only Camb applicant (if the other guy isn't) from your school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    No Cambridge? If so, I'm surprised. He seemed to know his stuff. Are you the only Camb applicant (if the other guy isn't) from your school?
    Nope, there is one other applicant. His lecture will be on this week. Just me and him for Economics (Camb).

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.