Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Bristol offer - A*AA! Finally got one

ReputationRep:
    Alright so my general interview at Cambridge is with the Director of Studies for maths, despite it being general do they still ask maths questions?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by crazy1234)
    Alright so my general interview at Cambridge is with the Director of Studies for maths, despite it being general do they still ask maths questions?
    General interviews tend to be non-academic, but I would still be prepared for (relevant) maths questions.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Just a quick question, how were you guys notified that you recieved an offer? Did it come via UCAS or through the university?

Edit: Well it says Conditional, so I think I've got an offer
    Well done! I'm still waiting on everyone :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    General interviews tend to be non-academic, but I would still be prepared for (relevant) maths questions.
    Would you say that the general interviews are not particularly important then? Not really sure what they could test you on really . Mine's a lecturer of arts... How broad is that?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How can you tell which is your general interview and which is the subject one? Or does not every college do 'general' interviews? Both interviews of mine are with economists and both have preparatory reading...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogueTrombonist)
    Getting impatient waiting on acknowledgements, and maybe a weird question, but, will we only have contact from the universities within like standard working hours, 8-5? Or could you expect offers like later on in the evening?
    Mine came through at lunch, just after six, half seven and just after eight (this is when I got the email notifcation). So not within normal working hours!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I was going to cover the relevant maths topics anyway for the subject specific one anyway, but I may go into a bit more detail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    How can you tell which is your general interview and which is the subject one? Or does not every college do 'general' interviews? Both interviews of mine are with economists and both have preparatory reading...
    For me it said on the invite email that I would have one general and one subject specific, maybe your college doesn't...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by crazy1234)
    Thanks, I was going to cover the relevant maths topics anyway for the subject specific one anyway, but I may go into a bit more detail
    What would you class as relevant maths topics?

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal to NOT have a general interview? At Jesus all I am doing is an Econ one and Maths one (plus TSA) but will there be any general questions at all?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Trizzle)
    Is it normal to NOT have a general interview? At Jesus all I am doing is an Econ one and Maths one (plus TSA) but will there be any general questions at all?
    Be prepared just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Bath, first offer so I am glad. I was using the strategy of applying to 4 uni's (Cam, LSE, War and Bath) and if I get an offer from one of them before mid December I would apply to UCL (which I have just done) and If I heard nothing till mid December I would apply to York.
    Now that I have applied to UCL can I just ask how they collected everyone's UMS ? I have put them in my UCAS form but should I still be expecting an email asking for them, or should I email them my UMS ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    What would you class as relevant maths topics?
    Well statistics obviously, calculus, from what i have been told these are probably the most common. I know someone from my school was asked a few trig questions last year, so maybe that as well.

ReputationRep:
    offer from Manchester!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MWM)
    Offer from Bath, first offer so I am glad. I was using the strategy of applying to 4 uni's (Cam, LSE, War and Bath) and if I get an offer from one of them before mid December I would apply to UCL (which I have just done) and If I heard nothing till mid December I would apply to York.
    Now that I have applied to UCL can I just ask how they collected everyone's UMS ? I have put them in my UCAS form but should I still be expecting an email asking for them, or should I email them my UMS ?
    If it's on your form there is no need.

ReputationRep:
    Here is a question I got asked in my mock:

Let the y axis be revenues/costs and the x axis be output.

1) Draw a total revenue curve

2) Draw a total cost curve

3) On the diagram indicate where profits will be maximised

4) How would you find the exact value of output at which profits are maximised.

That is roughly how it went, in the mock the first two questions were already answered for me; I was given a diagram with total costs/revenues, the second question should be easy and the last requires some thinking.
    If some one can answer the last question I would be impressed, it takes some thinking and under interview conditions it would be quite tough I reckon.
    If people can't answer it then please remember I got asked this in my mock and to the best of my knowledge this isn't a past interview question.
    Positive Rating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWM)
    badman strategy

ReputationRep:
    It is a safe way of ensuring that you don't get 5 rejections lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWM)
    Here is a question I got asked in my mock:

Let the y axis be revenues/costs and the x axis be output.

1) Draw a total revenue curve

2) Draw a total cost curve

3) On the diagram indicate where profits will be maximised

4) How would you find the exact value of output at which profits are maximised.

That is roughly how it went, in the mock the first two questions were already answered for me; I was given a diagram with total costs/revenues, the second question should be easy and the last requires some thinking.
    If some one can answer the last question I would be impressed, it takes some thinking and under interview conditions it would be quite tough I reckon.
    If people can't answer it then please remember I got asked this in my mock and to the best of my knowledge this isn't a past interview question.
    Positive Rating!
    Profit maximizing is when MR=MC, so surely differentiate TR and TC, equal them to each other, solve for Q.

For price, get TR, divide by Q to get AR, then put your q value in an you will get price

Is that right?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.