Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Will you take LSE if you dont get Cambridge? Or will you reapply?
    Depends on what I get at A2. If I meet the Cambridge minimum for pooling for applicants with achieved A levels of 3A* then yes. If, as in the most likely scenario I don't then I'll take LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    Depends on what I get at A2. If I meet the Cambridge minimum for pooling for applicants with achieved A levels of 3A* then yes. If, as in the most likely scenario I don't then I'll take LSE.
    That seems alright then! What about F.Maths? Are you including that in your A*s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    That seems alright then! What about F.Maths? Are you including that in your A*s?
    I'm teaching it to myself, so I may not get an A* in it. Then again, I've been doing better in the modules I've taught myself so...

The only condition I'm setting myself is one of the 3A*s in Maths. That's the entry requirement anyway

ReputationRep:
    I'm teaching it to myself, so I may not get an A* in it. Then again, I've been doing better in the modules I've taught myself so...

The only condition I'm setting myself is one of the 3A*s in Maths. That's the entry requirement anyway
    lol fair enough! Its just that if you do end up reapplying, (which wont happen cos hopefully you'll get the offer!) you'd have to perform decently in F.M i suppose..but seeing as you self-teach its probably altogether a different story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quark123)
    I would say that Nottingham has the superior economics department but Durham's undergraduate teaching is probably better; smaller groups, more contact. However the course at Nottingham can be, depending on you options, much more quantitative than Durham which would be a big plus for me. In terms of getting a job, for something like accountancy/banking, where they know the economics departments I don't think that it would make much difference. However Durham is generally perceived as more prestigious than Nottingham so the "brand name" of Durham might open more doors.
    Thank you! I'm an international applicant and just received offers from both. I'm currently thinking of taking Durham as my firm choice.

ReputationRep:
    Since LSE is arguably one of the most competitive universities, many people have a full set of A*s. Relative to that, this wasn't much. Just take a look at the applicant page - for econ, it ranges from 5 to 10 currently. 6 is in the lower end, and this is only the applicants. It's a given that a typical offer holder will have more on average.

I wouldn't say something like that without some research or thought.

Besides, I think it was my teacher's reference was what did it...
    I see. Congrats on your offer though. Work hard until June.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that 3A*'s is the min for pooling ? Also, just some advice, If you get and offer from LSE and not Cam, then even if you get 4/5A*'s I wouldn't reapply next year. The gap between LSE and CAM isn't that big for econ, and for some city jobs LSE may even be better. Take this form someone who has 4 A*'s and is self teaching further maths at the moment, I only have an offer form Bath so far.

How do you know that is the pooling entry req ?

ReputationRep:
    Since many people here are doing FM can you please answer my question on stats 2, it has really got me confused:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post35346198
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MWM)
    Since many people here are doing FM can you please answer my question on stats 2, it has really got me confused:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post35346198
    It says allow the use of the 't' anyway. Is the 'z' the normalised distribution? I can't remember so long ago...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    It says allow the use of the 't' anyway. Is the 'z' the normalised distribution? I can't remember so long ago...
    Yea, I would still get the marks for using t, but I am asking how is it even correct to use the "z" when you dont know the variance.
    I thought that if you have to estimate the variance with s^2 then you must use the "t" and not the "z", thats what my book says at least.
    Both "z" and "t" are normal distributions, one is when you know the variance ("z") and the other when you dont know the varianace and have to estimate it wirh s^2.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MWM)
    Yea, I would still get the marks for using t, but I am asking how is it even correct to use the "z" when you dont know the variance.
    I thought that if you have to estimate the variance with s^2 then you must use the "t" and not the "z", thats what my book says at least.
    Both "z" and "t" are normal distributions, one is when you know the variance ("z") and the other when you dont know the varianace and have to estimate it wirh s^2.
    If I remember correctly, the t distribution tends to the z distribution as n tends to infinity. So depending on what cut-off you use when applying Central Limit Theory, you can use the z instead of the t when n is large enough (say, 40 or larger).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWM)
    How do you know that 3A*'s is the min for pooling ? Also, just some advice, If you get and offer from LSE and not Cam, then even if you get 4/5A*'s I wouldn't reapply next year. The gap between LSE and CAM isn't that big for econ, and for some city jobs LSE may even be better. Take this form someone who has 4 A*'s and is self teaching further maths at the moment, I only have an offer form Bath so far.

How do you know that is the pooling entry req ?
    In the PDF for pooling for tutors, which is somewhere on the Cambridge website it says below the 93% thing something along the lines of 'post applicants must be pooled if the have achieved A*A*A*

I don't want to work in the city - all I want to do is further research. So the quality of teaching is important for me. Everyone in the know I've talked to says, like you, I should pick LSE instead of reapplying. However, I don't think they understand my attitude to studying. For me university is about knowledge, not getting a job, although that's still a valid reason I think. I hope you get where I'm coming from

ReputationRep:
    In the PDF for pooling for tutors, which is somewhere on the Cambridge website it says below the 93% thing something along the lines of 'post applicants must be pooled if the have achieved A*A*A*

I don't want to work in the city - all I want to do is further research. So the quality of teaching is important for me. Everyone in the know I've talked to says, like you, I should pick LSE instead of reapplying. However, I don't think they understand my attitude to studying. For me university is about knowledge, not getting a job, although that's still a valid reason I think. I hope you get where I'm coming from
    I totally understand where you're coming from! I'm in exactly the same mind-set

ReputationRep:

I understand, there probably aren't many people like you who care so much about education that they would reject LSE for the chances of Cam.

Have you quoted them correctly ? Meaning that If I don't get and offer form my college I MUST be pooled ?

ReputationRep:
    If I remember correctly, the t distribution tends to the z distribution as n tends to infinity. So depending on what cut-off you use when applying Central Limit Theory, you can use the z instead of the t when n is large enough (say, 40 or larger).
    Ahh right, I thoguht that as long as n is larger than 30, then you can use the central limit theorm, but are you saying that if n is large enough then you can use "z" indtead of "t" even when you don't know the variance.

ReputationRep:
    Edin and st Andrews reply after the 15th january deadline? i'm not international.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MWM)
    Ahh right, I thoguht that as long as n is larger than 30, then you can use the central limit theorm, but are you saying that if n is large enough then you can use "z" indtead of "t" even when you don't know the variance.
    Using z instead of t is using (well, applying) Central Limit Theorem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWM)
    I understand, there probably aren't many people like you who care so much about education that they would reject LSE for the chances of Cam.

Have you quoted them correctly ? Meaning that If I don't get and offer form my college I MUST be pooled ?
    In the case of post-qualification applicants, the equivilant criteria is: A*,A*,A* or better at A Level.

That's quoted

ReputationRep:
    Using z instead of t is using (well, applying) Central Limit Theorem.
    Wait, I thought CLT was when something is/isn't normally distributed you can assume the mean is normally distributed. Both "t" and "z" are both normal distributions, one is when you know variance and one is when you don't.

ReputationRep:
    WOW
    "All applicants in this round (except those for Mathematics and Medicine) who are not offered places by their preference Colleges but have attained an overall average of 93% or more in their three best AS Level subjects MUST be pooled in category P if not in another category.
    In the case of post-qualification applicants the equivalent criterion is: A*,A*,A* or better at A Level."
    That is quoted, even the bolds are quoted. Meaning that if you have 93%+ at AS, you must get pooled ? Although I know many who did get that an didn't get pooled.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.