Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWM)
    WOW
    "All applicants in this round (except those for Mathematics and Medicine) who are not offered places by their preference Colleges but have attained an overall average of 93% or more in their three best AS Level subjects MUST be pooled in category P if not in another category.
    In the case of post-qualification applicants the equivalent criterion is: A*,A*,A* or better at A Level."
    That is quoted, even the bolds are quoted. Meaning that if you have 93%+ at AS, you must get pooled ? Although I know many who did get that an didn't get pooled.
    Do you get auto-pooled regardless of UMS if you get A*A*A*?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MWM)
    Wait, I thought CLT was when something is/isn't normally distributed you can assume the mean is normally distributed. Both "t" and "z" are both normal distributions, one is when you know variance and one is when you don't.
    I'm pretty sure that 't' is not a Normal distribution (it has 'fatter tails'), it's the "Student's t distribution".

(Original post by MWM)
    WOW
    "All applicants in this round (except those for Mathematics and Medicine) who are not offered places by their preference Colleges but have attained an overall average of 93% or more in their three best AS Level subjects MUST be pooled in category P if not in another category.
    In the case of post-qualification applicants the equivalent criterion is: A*,A*,A* or better at A Level."
    That is quoted, even the bolds are quoted. Meaning that if you have 93%+ at AS, you must get pooled ? Although I know many who did get that an didn't get pooled.
    There used to be a GCSE requirement as well for auto-pooling, but this was a while ago so it might have changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Do you get auto-pooled regardless of UMS if you get A*A*A*?
    Reading their quote, it seems to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    I still don't fully get how the MS uses "z" when we don't know the population variance. My stats book makes it very clear, when you don't know variance then you estimate it with s^2 and use the "t" distribution.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MWM)
    I still don't fully get how the MS uses "z" when we don't know the population variance. My stats book makes it very clear, when you don't know variance then you estimate it with s^2 and use the "t" distribution.
    It's because the t distribution is the z distribution when n tends to infinity, so yes you should really use the t distribution (it will be more accurate) but the z is a good enough approximation when n is large enough.

PS: To clarify, a t distribution with n set to infinity is exactly the z (Normal) distribution. So for large enough n you can approximate the t distribution using the z distribution. This is regardless of how you got your estimate for the variance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    It's because the t distribution is the z distribution when n tends to infinity, so yes you should really use the t distribution (it will be more accurate) but the z is a good enough approximation when n is large enough.
    Thnx for the help . So when you don't know the variance you can still use the "z" distribution along with s^2 provided n is large enough.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when Durham usually/will probably start giving out offers for econ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kravez)
    You got 6A*'s at GCSE. I'm suprised at your response.
    People on TSR make LSE and gcse's a big thing.. Even i was very NEARLY put off LSE (with 7A*) just because of this silly myth I had heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee)
    People on TSR make LSE and gcse's a big thing.. Even i was very NEARLY put off LSE (with 7A*) just because of this silly myth I had heard.
    Two students from my sixth form got into LSE (Maths and Econ & not sure about the other) last year with one of them having 3A*'s at GCSE and the other 2A*'s. That being said their AS's made up their mediocre GCSE's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy1234)
    Anyone know when Durham usually/will probably start giving out offers for econ?
    They already have unless the guy who posted in the offer thread is making it up.

ReputationRep:
    A quick question to you all, if I want to go to uni purely to enter into the best possible career then would you say that Bath might be better then places like UCL/War or maybe even Cam/LSE. They get you a year long paid internship which must be great for you when you leave uni and start applying for a job.
    What do you all think ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MWM)
    A quick question to you all, if I want to go to uni purely to enter into the best possible career then would you say that Bath might be better then places like UCL/War or maybe even Cam/LSE. They get you a year long paid internship which must be great for you when you leave uni and start applying for a job.
    What do you all think ?
    I think it would definitely put you on par in terms of short term prospects. That year in industry from Bath is so respected and they have so many good opportunities, experience is also getting more and more important as graduates try to differentiate themselves from others. But then in the long run others might be better, I don't think you can quantify the difference between all the different degrees as there are so many other factors.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by MWM)
    What do you all think ?
    No, it wouldn't be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWM)
    What do you all think ?
    Going to Cam/LSE you should be able to get internships during holidays anyway and i know its not a year long but experience is experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWM)
    What do you all think ?
    The placement is a great thing to have under you, and will obviously give you an edge. However I would not go as far to say that I would turn down a place from the places you stated purely because of the placement year.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MWM)
    What do you all think ?
    Just to add, I don't think it makes Bath better than the four you suggested, but it may well be what gives it the edge over Bristol/Durham/Nottingham...

ReputationRep:
    Quiet day for offers it seems... :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWM)
    What do you all think ?
    Bath and Durham do have the placement year, which is obviously advantageous as experience is highly valued, and I'd say that there isn't a huge difference between Bath/Durham and UCL/Warwick anyway, so it depends upon whether you think you would benefit more from the year in industry or not. I wouldn't pick Bath/Durham ahead of Cambridge or LSE however. (Although, thats not to say that employers won't value the year in industry, especially with good references more...)

ReputationRep:
    IMO Bath > Bristol/ Nottingham > Durham

But none of thosed are better than Camb, LSE, Warwick or UCL

From my perspective, as I am looking to enter some quantative roles in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    Quiet day for offers it seems... :yawn:
    Tommorow is the last (full) working day for most universities this year.

I don't want to get hopes up (again ) but....

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.