Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markleberry)
    Alas, I am being forced to apply for Durham. Would've preferred Warwick tbh.
    Why forced? Local university or something?

Also, just lie to your parents and say you got rejected. If you get an offer from Warwick and firm it, just explain what you did was good because it's a better regarded course/university .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegenius31416)
    Why forced? Local university or something?
    Yep. The options are Durham, Newcastle or no university at all.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It was shockingly hard and pretty bad on OCR's part for putting in an unsolvable 'show that'.
    I can't believe they did that :| How was the rest of the paper? Because I assume the grade boundaries will be INCREDIBLY low. Missing that D1 exam is possibly the only good thing that will come out of me not taking Further Maths in Y12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    I can't believe they did that :| How was the rest of the paper? Because I assume the grade boundaries will be INCREDIBLY low. Missing that D1 exam is possibly the only good thing that will come out of me not taking Further Maths in Y12
    The entire paper was a nightmare... really hoping for low grade boundaries and a scraped A

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing everyone's now waiting on maths exams. Good luck all! Hope you get those A's

I'm now waiting for my Politics exam tommorow, got to get 65% for an A so I'm feeling oddly relaxed
    That and I'm not going to take it next year, so as long as I get a decent A, I'm happy :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markleberry)
    Yep. The options are Durham, Newcastle or no university at all.
    thats bul****. ignore your parents. your experience at university will have nothing to do with them. itll be your debt and your future. go where you want pal, dont let them hold you back. you have the opportunity to move away from your home town and live somewhere great.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The entire paper was a nightmare... really hoping for low grade boundaries and a scraped A
    By the sounds of it the grade boundaries will be extortionately low so I wouldn't worry.

(Original post by Hemzo)
    I'm guessing everyone's now waiting on maths exams. Good luck all! Hope you get those A's

I'm now waiting for my Politics exam tommorow, got to get 65% for an A so I'm feeling oddly relaxed
    That and I'm not going to take it next year, so as long as I get a decent A, I'm happy :woo:
    Wow, that's good, you must have got 95% in your first exam? What other subjects did you take? I wish I could have taken something like Politics, it would probably be quite interesting (more than Biology anyway )

ReputationRep:
    I've decided I am now aiming for AAB uni's. After my chemistry exam not going too well, my expectations have be lowered considerably. :/

So I am now looking at Manchester/Birmingham/York/Southampton.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by YingYang)
    I've decided I am now aiming for AAB uni's. After my chemistry exam not going too well, my expectations have be lowered considerably. :/

So I am now looking at Manchester/Birmingham/York/Southampton.
    Don't put yourself down, just wait and see on results day!

They are very good universities anyway, what were you aiming for before?

ReputationRep:
    Don't put yourself down, just wait and see on results day!

They are very good universities anyway, what were you aiming for before?
    AAA - A*AA

I know they are good, just feel as if I have completely ****ed my exams, well quite a few anyway. And I know I have just by looking at the post-exam talk threads.

I am getting tempted to apply abroad though something like canada (university of toronto), but the application process seems like so much effort.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I applied this cycle for Economics but withdrew my application cause I was offered an internship so will be applying again next cycle!

Good luck to all those applying hope your ASs went well, my exams start this Thursday then they come thick and fast! PS, Warwick is the most boring place on earth. I'd advise London (LSE/UCL) Bath and Bristol are both really good (Bath mainly due to their 3rd year placement) and obviously Oxbridge.

Also, York and Notts are worth a mention, both v nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredbol)
    Hey all, I applied this cycle for Economics but withdrew my application cause I was offered an internship so will be applying again next cycle!

Good luck to all those applying hope your ASs went well, my exams start this Thursday then they come thick and fast! PS, Warwick is the most boring place on earth. I'd advise London (LSE/UCL) Bath and Bristol are both really good (Bath mainly due to their 3rd year placement) and obviously Oxbridge.

Hi, I was hoping to apply to different interships this cycle just in case, where did you get yours?

Hope you do well in your exam too, I wanna stay in London but I will probably only apply for UCL, which will be my top choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_cat)
    Hi, I was hoping to apply to different interships this cycle just in case, where did you get yours?

Hope you do well in your exam too, I wanna stay in London but I will probably only apply for UCL, which will be my top choice.
    PMd you
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Where did you get an internship?

I'm applying for several gap year schemes this cycle so would be interested to hear where you got on and how you found the application process for whatever you got on to.

Thanks

ReputationRep:

What makes you say Warwick is the most boring place on earth.. it looks great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshgoldman)
    What makes you say Warwick is the most boring place on earth.. it looks great!
    I found it incredibly dull and I've heard lots of others say the same thing, however there is no denying it has good facilities and it's academic prowess is impressive.

For economics though, I don't think the big London unis and Oxbridge can be matched really

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's good, you must have got 95% in your first exam? What other subjects did you take? I wish I could have taken something like Politics, it would probably be quite interesting (more than Biology anyway )
    Picked Maths, Economics, History and Politics. Politics isn't too bad, certain topics can really bore you to death like how Parliament isn't fulfilling it's functions, but it's pretty good fun discussing what happens within politics and since our macroeconomic policy is pretty heavily based upon politics at times. Ahh, finished my exam.. Hope I did okay, messed up a five marker and had to waffle on in it.. I hope I got above 65%
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Picked Maths, Economics, History and Politics. Politics isn't too bad, certain topics can really bore you to death like how Parliament isn't fulfilling it's functions, but it's pretty good fun discussing what happens within politics and since our macroeconomic policy is pretty heavily based upon politics at times. Ahh, finished my exam.. Hope I did okay, messed up a five marker and had to waffle on in it.. I hope I got above 65%
    Nice subjects! They're basically as different as they could be to mine (with us both still having strong subjects for an econ application). Yeah I imagine some parts are dull, but I guess it's like that with most subjects (or in the case of biology, it's the entire subject)!

I'm sure you did well Just have to wait 'til August now to find out how we all did!

ReputationRep:
    Nice subjects! They're basically as different as they could be to mine (with us both still having strong subjects for an econ application). Yeah I imagine some parts are dull, but I guess it's like that with most subjects (or in the case of biology, it's the entire subject)!

I'm sure you did well Just have to wait 'til August now to find out how we all did!
    Yeah, a few of my friends were telling me how boring Biology was, but atleast you've got pretty strong academic subjects and yeah! Till August we'll see. Atleast now I've got some time to chill out on my guitar and play some PS3!

What uni's you planning to get into mate? Do you know your 5 or you still unsure?

ReputationRep:
    i like lse, and getting there will be a dream come true, but i don't really like london.
    I'll also try my luck at cambridge, bath, bristol and Warwirk

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.