Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    Is the quality of teaching at LSE good? I heard from friends that it was hyped up. Ofc if I had an offer I would go there regardless... :rolleyes:
    Really? I've never heard the quality of teaching at LSE being hyped up. More it's international reputation and prime location.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by geofff)
    yh i heard that you have to teach yourself 90% of the economics course at LSE... and the lectures are based on outdated economics.. and you often end up being taught the wrong course alltogether
    At LSE? You must be joking... :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Really? I've never heard the quality of teaching at LSE being hyped up. More it's international reputation and prime location.
    Not sure man, it could be subjective. I know so far that there a contrasting opinions on this and two people saying that the standard of teaching is not as good is not enough to suggest that this is the definitely the case (but it's interesting what they feel about it nevertheless).

As someone said, it may still be better than that in other unis. And, the overall quality of teaching may still be good just not as good as you might expect from the second best economics/related courses uni

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or does the Warwick representative just try and get everyone to apply to Warwick?
    Granted that they want as many applicants but it seems kinda unfair on people who don't have a realistic chance of getting in... As an Economist they clearly think that more choices of applicants is preferable to fewer choices of applicants but 1) they're not considering the loss on the applicants behalf and 2) they're clearly not familiar on the concept of bounded rationality. :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Melikeyflute)
    Is it just me or does the Warwick representative just try and get everyone to apply to Warwick?
    Granted that they want as many applicants but it seems kinda unfair on people who don't have a realistic chance of getting in... As an Economist they clearly think that more choices of applicants is preferable to fewer choices of applicants but 1) they're not considering the loss on the applicants behalf and 2) they're clearly not familiar on the concept of bounded rationality. :rolleyes:
    I think they are in a difficult position, and I don't think it's so much encouraging people aren't going to get in to apply but instead 'not discouraging' them. They don't want to put people off if it is their ideal university and ultimately it is not the representatives decision who to accept so he has to be careful what he says...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    I think they are in a difficult position, and I don't think it's so much encouraging people aren't going to get in to apply but instead 'not discouraging' them. They don't want to put people off if it is their ideal university and ultimately it is not the representatives decision who to accept so he has to be careful what he says...
    Perhaps I am a bit too cynical.. It feels like I sent them a text (metaphorical term for UCAS application) but they never texted back . I think the representative is a woman though.

ReputationRep:
    haha i remember reading up on bounded rationality I think it was 'Keynes..' by Robert Skidelsky. Quite funny you should say that considering Skidelsky is a professor of political economy at Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    haha i remember reading up on bounded rationality I think it was 'Keynes..' by Robert Skidelsky. Quite funny you should say that considering Skidelsky is a professor of political economy at Warwick

Considering
    I see you've changed your sig for ignorant people such as me.

I prefer the funneh quotes section

ReputationRep:
    I see you've changed your sig for ignorant people such as me.
    :lol:

ReputationRep:

Considering
    Was it 'Keynes - The Return of the Master'? Found it quite interesting Hope I am going to have lectures with Skidelsky if I study at Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    Was it 'Keynes - The Return of the Master'? Found it quite interesting Hope I am going to have lectures with Skidelsky if I study at Warwick
    It was indeed! ME TOO...except I'm still waiting to hear back Sorry to hear about your Oxford rejection though
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Perhaps I am a bit too cynical.. It feels like I sent them a text (metaphorical term for UCAS application) but they never texted back . I think the representative is a woman though.
    Think everyone except the lucky few feel this way :/

ReputationRep:
    It was indeed! ME TOO...except I'm still waiting to hear back Sorry to hear about your Oxford rejection though
    Yea I was crushed when I found out... But oh well maybe it's just not the place I belong to, Warwick sounds great as well. So it's either going to be Warwick or LSE but I'd be happy at either, I am sure And I hope you'll get your Warwick offer soon! I am sure they'll let you know in January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    Yea I was crushed when I found out... But oh well maybe it's just not the place I belong to, Warwick sounds great as well. So it's either going to be Warwick or LSE but I'd be happy at either, I am sure And I hope you'll get your Warwick offer soon! I am sure they'll let you know in January.
    You'll love Warwick/LSE so im sure Uni will be great for you! Lets hope

ReputationRep:
    Think everyone except the lucky few feel this way :/
    The worst thing is, the person said they would hurry up this year :sad:. I think she just exploited my naivety.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The worst thing is, the person said they would hurry up this year :sad:. I think she just exploited my naivety.
    Hope offers increase exponentially in the new year

ReputationRep:
    Hope offers increase exponentially in the new year
    Yeah me too. That's why I negged the Warwick representative. :ahee:. Would you accept an offer from Warwick if that was the only place?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Would you accept an offer from Warwick if that was the only place?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me too. That's why I negged the Warwick representative. :ahee:. Would you accept an offer from Warwick if that was the only place?
    She'll find out who you are. And reject you

lol

ReputationRep:
    She'll find out who you are. And reject you

lol
    What are your other choices? Did you apply to LSE?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.