• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by WalkerPrince)
    Warwick do an international year? :confused:
    Erasmus scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Illmatic-)
    That sounds pretty awesome actually. Maybe we'll finally end up with atleast one competent economist at the European Central Bank
    That's what I thought :cool:

(Original post by tooambitious)
    Sorry to interrupt, I want to do the same thing :love: looking at the IMF and world bank, because obviously I'm tooambitious
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Sounds perfect
    Oh yea time for us TSR members to get the top positions at the central banks/world bank/IMF to save the planet from financial disaster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    That's what I thought :cool:

Oh yea time for us TSR members to get the top positions at the central banks/world bank/IMF to save the planet from financial disaster
    Economists don't prevent financial disaster! They just talk about its causes after its occured! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melikeyflute)
    Economists don't prevent financial disaster! They just talk about its causes after its occured! :P
    Hmm so who decides Interest rates, the level of quantitative easing etc? Who advise politicians on what policy actions to take e.g. the ring fencing of retail banks, or on a bigger scale Basel III?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy1234)
    Hmm so who decides Interest rates, the level of quantitative easing etc? Who advise politicians on what policy actions to take e.g. the ring fencing of retail banks, or on a bigger scale Basel III?
    I thought you were asking a genuine question there :P

ReputationRep:
    Lol, why so serious? It was just a joke kid. Merry Christmas!

ReputationRep:
    Just been on holiday so checked my email on Christmas and got an invitation from UCL! anyone else invited to an open day on 11th Jan?
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

ReputationRep:
    Just been on holiday so checked my email on Christmas and got an invitation from UCL! anyone else invited to an open day on 11th Jan?
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.t.123)
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Is this Econ or Econ w Year Abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Normal econ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.t.123)
    Normal econ
    Do you mind sharing your academics?

ReputationRep:
    Surely you aren't suggesting central bankers have a solid record of preemptive action against crises?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    Surely you aren't suggesting central bankers have a solid record of preemptive action against crises?
    It's quite hard to judge how many crises they prevented, as (by definition) these crises did not occur and so cannot be observed. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melikeyflute)
    Do you mind sharing your academics?

I'll PM you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    It's quite hard to judge how many crises they prevented, as (by definition) these crises did not occur and so cannot be observed. :dontknow:
    Fair point, but there are numerous cases of central banks recognising the existence of - for one example - asset price bubbles, and failing to take the wind out of them (think Greenspan and 'irrational exuberance').

ReputationRep:
    I posted it on the Cambridge thread, but I really care about what the Oxbridge applicants here have to say -

I've been wondering, what normally happens with Cambridge offer-holders in Early January. Do most who get offers in Early January withdraw their other applications (non-insurance), or just do nothing? What will most of you do if you hear good news?

Also, what do you think admissions at UCL, LSE predict students will do? There could be a lull in Early January while they wait for people to withdraw their applications...

Or not?

ReputationRep:
    I posted it on the Cambridge thread, but I really care about what the Oxbridge applicants here have to say -

I've been wondering, what normally happens with Cambridge offer-holders in Early January. Do most who get offers in Early January withdraw their other applications (non-insurance), or just do nothing? What will most of you do if you hear good news?

Also, what do you think admissions at UCL, LSE predict students will do? There could be a lull in Early January while they wait for people to withdraw their applications...

Or not?
    I think prediction is futile :lol:

If I get good news I wouldn't do anything, I'd just wait for the other unis. I would imagine that UCL and LSE would expect few applicants to drop out but not many. They probably have a rough idea of the students who are likely to be gaining a place so would probably give offers to them in the case that they get lucky (from the unis perspective). I think they will give out many more offers in January though imo.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Acerbic)
    Fair point, but there are numerous cases of central banks recognising the existence of - for one example - asset price bubbles, and failing to take the wind out of them (think Greenspan and 'irrational exuberance').
    Oh, I agree that we can observe cases where they have failed to prevent crises, just that it's much more difficult to work out the ones where they prevented them.

Or not?
    Most Oxbridge offer-holders wait until they have received all their offers, out of curiosity and to choose their insurance place. As for what the unis do, I'm guessing that they will base it primarily on the statistics from previous years regarding how many and which people tend to withdraw or otherwise finalise their UCAS forms.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I agree that we can observe cases where they have failed to prevent crises, just that it's much more difficult to work out the ones where they prevented them.
    :clap2: Agreed. Yay Christmanomic chats :tree:

Most Oxbridge offer-holders wait until they have received all their offers, out of curiosity and to choose their insurance place. As for what the unis do, I'm guessing that they will base it primarily on the statistics from previous years regarding how many and which people tend to withdraw or otherwise finalise their UCAS forms.
    Really? Even when the standard offers are equal or higher than the standard Oxbridge offer? :curious:

What are you doing here in this joyous holiday time!?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    :clap2: Agreed. Yay Christmanomic chats :tree:

Really? Even when the standard offers are equal or higher than the standard Oxbridge offer? :curious:
    Well, back in my day this wasn't the case. :p:

What are you doing here in this joyous holiday time!?
    They don't acknowledge Christmas here in China, so I'm already back in classes and so have resumed procrastination. :yep:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.