The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rupertj
So... unsuccessful with Cambridge, which is unsurprising due to A2 grades. Which brings me to my next problem:

Does anyone have any idea of the profile of the 'standard' successful UCL or LSE applicant, particularly their A2 results, once they've got in/if they're a post-A Level applicant? I understand that UCL and LSE are separate institutions so feel free to answer for one but not for the other.

Also, if UCL were likely to give me a place - bearing in mind that I applied pre-October 15th - should I have already been invited to an 'Open Day'?

Finally, does anyone know when the UCL 'Open Days' are? Just so I know I'm in the country if necessary...

Many thanks, pos rep to anyone who can answer comprehensively... or at all.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear this rupertj :frown: :frown:
Original post by Melikeyflute
I'd suppose that you're looking between A*AA ~ 4A*. I'm not sure for A-level applicants though really

Original post by zxh800
I'd hazard a guess they'd be looking for 2A* + at A-level.

Original post by stefl14
I would speculate - based on no evidence whatsoever - that the average post A level applicant has ~ 2*2A.

Original post by Dat Guy
Well, I suppose that would be A*AA (or better) considering that's the standard offer, not sure about the number of GCSEs A*s!

No, only a small number of people have been invited so far to the Open Day on January 11th. I think there will be other ones, but no information so far when. I'm pretty sure there will be more offers coming from both in 2012.

That sort of sucks as I have A*AAA, with A* in Maths, and 8 A* 2 A at GCSE, with an A in FSMQ Additional Maths. And I had great teaching etc. so no excuses. Hopefully the Personal statement kicks ass, but personal statements can only kick ass with so much force...

Thanks for the info on Open Days, pos reps for all of you as soon as my daily quota is restored!

Original post by -Illmatic-
Ah, I'm sorry to hear this rupertj :frown: :frown:

Thanks but it's no biggie... so long as I get into one of LSE, UCL and Warwick! (I still have Bath as my safety net.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6962
Original post by -Illmatic-
It's the economics applicant thread...

No economics course in King's that is why I am asking
Original post by DylanLJG
I still think you'll get an offer. :wink:

Did you not fit auto-pool criteria?
Original post by rupertj
Thanks but it's no biggie... so long as I get into one of LSE, UCL and Warwick! (I still have Bath as my safety net.)

Fair enough :smile:

Original post by sgurler
No economics course in King's that is why I am asking

I think the poster was talking about King's College, Cambridge.
Reply 6965
Original post by Tateco
Yeah, do not need this before exams, imagine having to go to another interview before exams :| Although that is pretty unlikely whatever the outcome.

Good luck, let me know when you find out :smile:

Straight rejection even though I exceed auto-pooling???? Raging. Have emailed emma and they gave me a straight out of office response.
I'm starting to doubt this auto=pooling thing. They never OPENLY talk about it, I only found out on this site...

It is on their site though ! Right?
Reply 6967
Original post by Dat Guy
Well, I suppose that would be A*AA (or better) considering that's the standard offer, not sure about the number of GCSEs A*s!

No, only a small number of people have been invited so far to the Open Day on January 11th. I think there will be other ones, but no information so far when. I'm pretty sure there will be more offers coming from both in 2012.

You get in? I was pooled :P
Original post by wit-tank
Straight rejection even though I exceed auto-pooling???? Raging. Have emailed emma and they gave me a straight out of office response.

Sorry t hear :frown: disadvantages of non-standard qualifications I suppose :redface:

Pooling because you meet the criteria is pointless anyway, particularly for a competitive course like economics. Pooling if you do well in the interview is a different matter.
Reply 6969
Original post by WalkerPrince
I'm starting to doubt this auto=pooling thing. They never OPENLY talk about it, I only found out on this site...

It is on their site though ! Right?

Not sure, I think it's true. What do you think our chances are of being fished? :s-smilie:
Reply 6970
Original post by Tateco
Not sure, I think it's true. What do you think our chances are of being fished? :s-smilie:

Yup, it's in the Winter Pool sheet. Anyone know what's going on with Groat?
The automatic pooling criteria is on their site:
:
All applicants in this round (except those for Mathematics and Medicine) who are not offered places by their
preference Colleges but have attained an overall average of 93% or more in their three best AS Level
subjects MUST be pooled in category P if not in another category.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/handbook/appendices/winterpoolofficers.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6972
Original post by zxh800
Yup, it's in the Winter Pool sheet. Anyone know what's going on with Groat?

He's at work, did you get in?
Reply 6973
Original post by Tateco

Sorry t hear :frown: disadvantages of non-standard qualifications I suppose :redface:

Yeah but not really a good enough excuse. The fact that Cambridge actually HELPED create a qualification that is meant to prepare you better for University and then agree on equivalent grades and create auto pooling criteria just to IGNORE ALL OF IT.

HATE MY LIFE. PS. i broke my nose yesterday! BEST WEEK EVER.
Reply 6974
Original post by Tateco

Don't know yet, and neither does my school... Dw, I'm almost sure I'll join you in the pool. Just hope the water wouldn't be too cold :colondollar:
Reply 6975
Original post by stefl14
Pooling because you meet the criteria is pointless anyway, particularly for a competitive course like economics. Pooling if you do well in the interview is a different matter.

Encouraging!
Reply 6976
Yeah but not really a good enough excuse. The fact that Cambridge actually HELPED create a qualification that is meant to prepare you better for University and then agree on equivalent grades and create auto pooling criteria just to IGNORE ALL OF IT.

HATE MY LIFE. PS. i broke my nose yesterday! BEST WEEK EVER.

:frown:
Original post by Dat Guy
Don't know yet, and neither does my school... Dw, I'm almost sure I'll join you in the pool. Just hope the water wouldn't be too cold :colondollar:

Good luck! Hope you fair better than I did :smile:
Encouraging!

Sorry it's just the impression I get.
Reply 6978
Original post by Tateco
He's at work, did you get in?

No letter, still waiting.
Reply 6979
Original post by stefl14

How did you come to that conclusion? Why would they auto-pool people for economics if admissions tutors didn't want it to be done? It wouldn't be very difficult to put us economists with the meds an Maths would it?

Latest

Trending

Trending