The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tateco
They're still very good GCSEs (I'm sorry to hear that).

You might have a chance at the top 5, it's just going to be a risk you will have to decide on. Bristol (as many people have said) is a good university, but also one with a seemingly unusual admissions process, so even if you reapplied to Bristol (along with four of the top 5) then you can certainly not guarantee an offer and might end up with nothing at all...

This. I wouldn't risk it. Bristol looks awesome anyway :biggrin:
Reply 681
Original post by thegenius31416

Yes, I was considering just doing language modules but I really want a year there and it's an opportunity not to pass up (Erasmus). Especially considering that tuition fees are going so high now, a free year of tuition is something I'll take :smile: Also, I'll need to live in the country if I wish to gain any level of fluency.

Unfortunately, you're wrong :tongue: I'll be applying for straight Economics at Edinburgh and Warwick because you apply for the Erasmus scheme once you get there (and if I don't get on it there, I'll be kicking and screaming, haha, but I don't think it's incredibly competitive (in comparison to exchanges to the USA and such) as not a lot of people speak a foreign language.

At Bristol it should help my chances definitely, as that variant of the course is a lot less competitive. They've removed the ratios (Applicants:Offers) from the website now but it used to be 88:15 for Economics with a year abroad compared to 1200:70 or something like that. I don't think it would make a difference to Exeter but that should be relatively easy to get an offer from (at least, according to TAELT and the fact everyone at my school gets an offer from there year on year).

I definitely agree you need to be in the country to actually grasp how the language is spoken in the real world. My brother did European Business Studies or something along those lines with a year in Germany at a fairly low-ranked university. He speaks fluently now and it was actually his language skills that landed him his job in a large bank so it is definitely something that can really help in the future.

If you think you might be tempted but are sure you don't want to then don't do it! You could just apply to Nottingham where you know they at least do German. Or if you're not 101% sure you want to do the year in Germany then go for Cambridge/LSE to keep your options open. It's a tricky decision :wink:

I couldn't quite get my head around the admissions statistics on Bristol's website when I saw them last, they were really confusing (perhaps that's why they have removed them :tongue:).
Reply 682
Yeah that's what I'm worried about - reapplying and losing Bristol. Although I believe having achieved some A* at alevel will have more weight than people just predicted them if you know what I mean?
Reply 683
Original post by Ideal.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about - reapplying and losing Bristol. Although I believe having achieved some A* at alevel will have more weight than people just predicted them if you know what I mean?

It is something you would definitely have to consider, Bristol is a very good university for Economics. You could be right, although for the top universities it is very likely that the students they give offers to will reach or exceed their offers (they are after the best...) so it might not have as much weighting as you think. However it certainly won't count against you!

At the end of the day no one on here is going to be able foresee what the admissions tutors will make of your application, you just need to weigh up the risks of losing Bristol, or possibly getting in to a marginally better university.
Reply 684
IS it marginally better though? Or more? From what I've heard theres quite a big gap between the top 5 and the rest in terms of job prospects.
Original post by Ideal.

A*s are pretty much glorified As unfortunately. Also, in Economics, people at the top universities generally achieve way over the required grades, and many will have Further Mathematics.

Keep the Bristol offer, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you're not interested in Investment Banking, there's no reason for you to apply somewhere else.
Original post by tateco
I definitely agree you need to be in the country to actually grasp how the language is spoken in the real world. My brother did European Business Studies or something along those lines with a year in Germany at a fairly low-ranked university. He speaks fluently now and it was actually his language skills that landed him his job in a large bank so it is definitely something that can really help in the future.

If you think you might be tempted but are sure you don't want to then don't do it! You could just apply to Nottingham where you know they at least do German. Or if you're not 101% sure you want to do the year in Germany then go for Cambridge/LSE to keep your options open. It's a tricky decision :wink:

I couldn't quite get my head around the admissions statistics on Bristol's website when I saw them last, they were really confusing (perhaps that's why they have removed them :tongue:).

Yes, I've seen the load of Business studies courses with years abroad but I want to do Economics! I don't think the university you go to abroad will make a major difference since none of it is for credit, you just have to pass. However, I think it would be great to get to LMU in Munich (the partner University for Economics for Edinburgh and Warwick). Exeter has Mannheim which also has a great reputation for Economics.

I'm 100% sure I want to do a year abroad: it's my purpose in life (up to this point at least) :tongue:
Reply 687
Never realised how quick some places booked up, tickets for Economics at Bath University is booked up already :tongue:
Reply 688
Original post by Hemzo
Never realised how quick some places booked up, tickets for Economics at Bath University is booked up already :tongue:

Aha, I got in there nice and early but I don't even think I can go now :|
Seems to have been a change in what the unis are asking for/ "preferred subjects". Further maths seems to have disappeared from many of the unis websites (except ofc LSE).

Would F.Maths be needed for:
Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Nottingham and York?
I'll probably end up contacting admissions office anyway but if anyone knows it would be helpful.
Reply 690
Original post by Psychotic546
Seems to have been a change in what the unis are asking for/ "preferred subjects". Further maths seems to have disappeared from many of the unis websites (except ofc LSE).

I'll probably end up contacting admissions office anyway but if anyone knows it would be helpful.

It's always useful. Please do tell us what the admissions offices say though.
Original post by zxh800
It's always useful. Please do tell us what the admissions offices say though.

Sure. I'm doing at AS:
Maths, Chemistry, History and Econ. Wondering whether to drop Chem and do the A2 FM or keep Chem and do AS FM.
I'll only probably contact Cambridge, Warwick and UCL so if you want to know about the others afraid you'll have to ask yourself.
Have any of you arranged any work experience ? I'm spending some time in the economic regeneration department in my local area and i hope this is enough to strengthen my personal statement !
Reply 693
Original post by Psychotic546

I'd be very interested in knowing what they say too! (especially Cambridge, UCL, Warwick and Nottingham as I am likely to be applying to all of those :tongue:)

Can you come back and tell us your findings please? I would be very grateful :colondollar:
Reply 694
Original post by vinchenzo25
Have any of you arranged any work experience ? I'm spending some time in the economic regeneration department in my local area and i hope this is enough to strengthen my personal statement !

I've done a little bit at an investment management bank but admissions tutors (for economics) seem to care less about this than you might think. They would probably rather you spent the time explaining why you like economics and perhaps briefly discussing a theory you found interesting.
Original post by tateco
I've done a little bit at an investment management bank but admissions tutors (for economics) seem to care less about this than you might think. They would probably rather you spent the time explaining why you like economics and perhaps briefly discussing a theory you found interesting.

I would have loved to have been able to do something like that - but investment banks are hard to come by where i live ! I'm currently reading Friedman's Capitalism and Freedom and i feel like i could discuss this in depth.
Reply 696
I would have loved to have been able to do something like that - but investment banks are hard to come by where i live ! I'm currently reading Friedman's Capitalism and Freedom and i feel like i could discuss this in depth.

Sounds quite heavy going! Make sure you understand everything you discuss and be ready for tricky questions about what you write in interviews!
Original post by tateco
Sounds quite heavy going! Make sure you understand everything you discuss and be ready for tricky questions about what you write in interviews!

cheers ! i know - i tried to read the general theory and gave up after the first few chapters :| hopefully i can give it another go :colondollar:
Reply 698
I hate the feeling after your exams wondering whether you did well or not :aff:
Reply 699
cheers ! i know - i tried to read the general theory and gave up after the first few chapters :| hopefully i can give it another go :colondollar:

Remember they'll be more impressed by you fully understanding a more basic theory than you trying to struggle your way through the hardest book you can find :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending