Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    A*AAA offer with A* in FM from Churchill.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Melikeyflute)
    Congrats Groat! I presume that you're firming Cambridge and insuring LSE?
    That brings back memories.

Congratulations Groat!

ReputationRep:
    ahhh really sucks to be pooled... especially there are people you know worse than you getting in... how would everyone here compare UCL econ degree with other universities around the world? And is economics one of the more competitive or less competitive subjects for UCL? Im an international student, so I don't know whether to go to UCL, reapply next year, or go back to Hong Kong and study there (for a negligible sum)...

Anyone help me out? and anyone know how good Bekerley is for economics - I know they are good academically, but I heard that econ graduates from Bekerley find it tough to find good employment

Thanks for any information!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    That brings back memories.

Congratulations Groat!
    hey alex help me out with the question please ^^ you probably know better than anyone else :P
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lordvulture)
    ahhh really sucks to be pooled... especially there are people you know worse than you getting in... how would everyone here compare UCL econ degree with other universities around the world? And is economics one of the more competitive or less competitive subjects for UCL? Im an international student, so I don't know whether to go to UCL, reapply next year, or go back to Hong Kong and study there (for a negligible sum)...

Anyone help me out? and anyone know how good Bekerley is for economics - I know they are good academically, but I heard that econ graduates from Bekerley find it tough to find good employment

In my opinion UCL and Berkerley would both rank above any Hong Kong universities. Where are you hoping to gain employment?

ReputationRep:

As far as I know, UCL Econs is very highly regarded in the world, and economics is one of the most competitive courses in UCL I believe. Their offers are very stringent and I heard way more people applied there last year compared to the amount of places available.

I'm interested in knowing how good Berkeley is for graduate prospects too. I applied there, but saw reviews online on how the teaching standards are deteriorating and lecturers are more focused on research to get more income - not sure how true this is but it got me worried. Btw do you mind sharing what other unis have you applied to in the US?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    In my opinion UCL and Berkerley would both rank above any Hong Kong universities. Where are you hoping to gain employment?
    I am months away from getting an American Passport so I suppose either HK or America, maybe even mainland China, thinking along the lines of Investment banking/ finance or maybe even business

I know UCL and Berkerley come above HK unis, but the hefty sum of school fees is a big concern, and Im not sure exactly how much of an advantage in looking for work UCL and Berkerley can offer me, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperstars123)
    As far as I know, UCL Econs is very highly regarded in the world, and economics is one of the most competitive courses in UCL I believe. Their offers are very stringent and I heard way more people applied there last year compared to the amount of places available.

I'm interested in knowing how good Berkeley is for graduate prospects too. I applied there, but saw reviews online on how the teaching standards are deteriorating and lecturers are more focused on research to get more income - not sure how true this is but it got me worried. Btw do you mind sharing what other unis have you applied to in the US?
    Well, a friend in California told me that job prospects from Berkeley economists are terrible, and things like computer science graduate in an average state Californian university can earn more... not sure how true this is, since Berkeley ranks 6th worldwide... this worries me though because UCL is ranked somewhere like 30-40

I applied for harvard, yale, stanford (early and rejected), MIT, Berkeley, UCLA, Chicago, Upenn, Duke... hope one of them can put me out of my misery, what about you?

ReputationRep:

I got pooled as well, found out today.
    So am I correct in thinking that if we don't here by 15th then we can expect a rejection ?

ReputationRep:
    Well, a friend in California told me that job prospects from Berkeley economists are terrible, and things like computer science graduate in an average state Californian university can earn more... not sure how true this is, since Berkeley ranks 6th worldwide... this worries me though because UCL is ranked somewhere like 30-40

I applied for harvard, yale, stanford (early and rejected), MIT, Berkeley, UCLA, Chicago, Upenn, Duke... hope one of them can put me out of my misery, what about you?
    Hmm it depends on where the person works I guess? The Cal state is in debt now, so an economist's job prospects there might not be as good as a computer science graduate.. though I really don't know. Yeap Berkeley's very highly ranked, but many people told me it's not as good as before, especially when you only focus on the undergrad teaching.

I'll PM you in a sec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MWM)
    I got pooled as well, found out today.
    So am I correct in thinking that if we don't here by 15th then we can expect a rejection ?
    well... i'd say if not by the 11th, its almost a definite rejection... let alone 15th...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)

Spoiler:
    Show
    I wish they stipulated that my A* had to be in FM because then I would just put all my efforts into that (and for me it would be the easiest to get A* in). Instead I'm trying really hard to get A* in all of them incase I mess up.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am months away from getting an American Passport so I suppose either HK or America, maybe even mainland China, thinking along the lines of Investment banking/ finance or maybe even business

I know UCL and Berkerley come above HK unis, but the hefty sum of school fees is a big concern, and Im not sure exactly how much of an advantage in looking for work UCL and Berkerley can offer me, what do you think?
    I'm no expert on this so can only go on the impression I have got from reading stuff and talking to people. Having said that, I think if you're looking for work in America or (mainland) China, having the name of a UK or American university will give you a significant advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Just caught up with what's going on, well done to everyone who has received offers! Esp to those with Cambridge offers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=zxh800;35678808]

Well done you must be delighted

ReputationRep:
    Just found out i've been pooled - I don't think my sanity will last with even more waiting !
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by vinchenzo25)
    Just found out i've been pooled - I don't think my sanity will last with even more waiting !
    I have seen like 15 people pooled for economics just on here, haha, it's not looking good at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Are you doing FP2/FP2 in June?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isp)
    Are you doing FP2/FP2 in June?
    Yes FP2 and FP3 as well as S2 and S3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    I have seen like 15 people pooled for economics just on here, haha, it's not looking good at all
    I know - time to focus on my other ones I think and hope for a warwick offer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.