The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emily_becca
pure economics and economics+geography, have been invited down for a selection open day for the econ+geog but heard nothing about the other one, quite surprised as my ps was very economics orientated

im in an odd situation because i wanted to do econ+geog but uni's seem to lower their entry requirements for dual courses so i felt it would be a waste applying for courses below my predicted grades :/ :confused:

go for economics :P use econ and geography as insurance if the offer is significantly lower - this is not just so that you feel like ur not 'wasting your good grades', but its also for job opportunities after you graduate :P even if you go to uni purely for the academic interests, you most likely want a good prospect for jobs when u come out right?
Congrats lordvulture! When did you apply by the way?
Original post by lordvulture
wait 13000 for locals?? That's almost the same as international fees lol...

yea I go to a boarding school in the here :P a net contributor to your economy haha

:lol: No, 13000 for you.

oh yea just checked, sorry, i just quoted the figure from someone else :frown:

I feel sorry for the home students... they are now paying over half of what internationals pay... compared with like 20% before

Also a nice thing to console myself about Cambridge not wanting me... they want more home students instead probably now that we pay similar fees

Anyhow its still very expensive, compared with like 3k pounds to study in hk, or places in Europe :P

I don't think finance is an issue. I mean yes internationals pay college fees aswell which along with the actual tuition fees round up to around £20,000 a year but you forget that all UK universities are actually FUNDED BY THE GOVERNMENT which we(well out parents) have paid for through tax all our lives. Also, tuition fees aren't paid to individual universities, they go directly from you to the government before you even get to kiss goodbye to your loan/money.
Original post by WalkerPrince
Congrats lordvulture! When did you apply by the way?

Thanks :P Hope your offer comes soon, then we can be classmates :smile: I'm completely shocked that cambridge didn't accept you straight away, it'd be crazy if LSE doesn't give u an offer :P (on that note, a girl from my school got into magdalene, and she's nowhere near as clever/ knowledgable as you are at economics - nor are her grades perfect, maybe she just got in cos she's a girl)

I applied about a week before Oxbridge deadline, but they do give out the offers gradually since some people got it before me, so I wouldn't worry too much :P
I also got LSE today! :smile: Kind of torn now though...
Reply 7265
Just a quick econ question for unit 3, one of the characteristics of a perfectly contestable market is that normal profits are made in the long run, which diagram would be best to show this? Could I draw a perfect competition diagram in both the short and long run or would I draw a monopoly graph and show the normal equilibrium where mc=mr and then show the new equilibrium of ac=ar? Thanks
Original post by lrowles93
I also got LSE today! :smile: Kind of torn now though...

Congratz!! torn?? why??
Original post by somaiyar
Just a quick econ question for unit 3, one of the characteristics of a perfectly contestable market is that normal profits are made in the long run, which diagram would be best to show this? Could I draw a perfect competition diagram in both the short and long run or would I draw a monopoly graph and show the normal equilibrium where mc=mr and then show the new equilibrium of ac=ar? Thanks

Go for number 2, the monopoly graph (but it would actually be an oligopoly graph as monopolies obtain super normal profit, apparently!) as this directly shows what profit level the firm is operating at (ie normal) and how this level of profit is achieved...just a suggestion! Are you doing OCR? Im really not enjoying mirco atm

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7268
Original post by emily_becca
Go for the monopoly graph as this directly shows what profit level the firm is operating at (ie normal) and how this level of profit is achieved...just a suggestion! Are you doing OCR? Im really not enjoying mirco atm

:smile:

Thanks, yeah I'm doing ocr, I've got the transport economics module on the 23rd jan
Congratz!! torn?? why??

God knows why, but Cambridge also made me an offer! Is it definitely a better course than LSE's?
Original post by lrowles93
God knows why, but Cambridge also made me an offer! Is it definitely a better course than LSE's?

oh nice, I didn't get into Cambridge :frown: well pooled, but probably rejection at the end, and Cambridge is definitely better - supervision system alone is worth going :P

definitely go to Cambridge is my opinion, there are people like me who'd die to go but don't get the chance
which college btw?
Reply 7271
Tommorow will mark 3 months since I sent my application.
Still just the one offer.

Not on.

3 months no offers :redface:
Tommorow will mark 3 months since I sent my application.
Still just the one offer.

Not on.

Did you submit your PS to PS Help? I don't recall seeing it...
Original post by alex_hk90
Did you submit your PS to PS Help? I don't recall seeing it...

No I didn't. I realised too late that there was good PS help here. Why?
Thanks :P Hope your offer comes soon, then we can be classmates :smile: I'm completely shocked that cambridge didn't accept you straight away, it'd be crazy if LSE doesn't give u an offer :P (on that note, a girl from my school got into magdalene, and she's nowhere near as clever/ knowledgable as you are at economics - nor are her grades perfect, maybe she just got in cos she's a girl)

I applied about a week before Oxbridge deadline, but they do give out the offers gradually since some people got it before me, so I wouldn't worry too much :P

So now know of 2 people who got into Magdalene. There are about 4 spaces. In my mind I still see some hope for them to accept me again. HA! :colone::colone:

I kid, their loss, I shouldn't have applied there. We were talking about austerity and I mentioned Ardagna and Alesina, to no response from the Director of Studies. I was shocked, even afterwards.

Your schoolmate must have done something right though, maybe answered the maths questions a bit better.

I hope LSE comes through too! :biggrin: And soon, before Magdalene drown me!
So now know of 2 people who got into Magdalene. There are about 4 spaces. In my mind I still see some hope for them to accept me again. HA! :colone::colone:

I kid, their loss, I shouldn't have applied there. We were talking about austerity and I mentioned Ardagna and Alesina, to no response from the Director of Studies. I was shocked, even afterwards.

Your schoolmate must have done something right though, maybe answered the maths questions a bit better.

If there was anyone bad at maths, it'd be her... i'd say she's the average mathematician who you'll be impressed with if she gets an A* in single maths after some hardwork... i think there was some first-principle calculus wasn't there? I can't imagine you doing worse than her on those (having seen your work on maths problems) I strongly suspect that she got in over you because they are more impressed with female economists...
(edited 12 years ago)

and yea its definitely their loss that they couldn't tell a good economist... it also shows how much of the system is based on luck... did you go to their open day? I now realize how important it is to talk to the DoS beforehand and get an idea of what your interviewer would be like...
oh nice, I didn't get into Cambridge :frown: well pooled, but probably rejection at the end, and Cambridge is definitely better - supervision system alone is worth going :P

definitely go to Cambridge is my opinion, there are people like me who'd die to go but don't get the chance
which college btw?

Don't give up yet! You might still get a surprise :smile: And yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, I don't think I'd enjoy the London lifestyle much either, especially as I'd probably be inclined to commute (30 minute train journey from my house). Oh and Clare College :biggrin:
If there was anyone bad at maths, it'd be her... i'd say she's the average mathematician who you'll be impressed with if she gets an A* in single maths after some hardwork... i think there was some first-principle calculus wasn't there? I can't imagine you doing worse than her on those (having seen your work on maths problems) I strongly suspect that she got in over you because they are more impressed with female economists...

Wow. Then I have no explanation :confused: Is this a school in England?

I can't be too bitter though, a few years on I may think not getting in was the best thing that could have happeened to me. Life is like that.
No I didn't. I realised too late that there was good PS help here. Why?

I was just interested to see if the PS might be the reason why you haven't got more offers yet.

Latest

Trending

Trending