Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by الجبر)
    Can I ask whether these open day invitations are for anyone who has applied or are they just for those applicants who UCL are thinking of giving offers ?
    I think some people previously posted that UCL said that they will give them an offer only if they come to the open day, so does that mean that UCL are currently only giving offers out to those who live in London ?
    they are invitation only, and yes, they invite you preparing to give you and offer unless you don't turn up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordvulture)
    its hard to believe, but its true...

I don't have any solid statistics to prove to you... but I think you can judge the amount of female economists applying, and the amount that gets in... I've met about 80 Cambridge economists (from my interview, UCL open day, and people I already know), more if you add people in the student room, there are only 3 female economists I know, none of them are particularly outstanding, but they all got in

If you were the director of studies, and you just spent you day interviewing a whole bunch of guys, and there's one girl who is quite good, would you not be at least slightly biased?
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Don't know how I keep stumbling onto this thread but:

It may not be exactly the same for Economics, but in the Cambridge Admissions handbook it says to go out of your way to try to accept females into maths, as they are a minority in that case. As in that should give them some extra points.
    Fair enough Lordvulture- take back what I said- though that is unfair though- people should be allowed on their potential and how good they are, not on their gender

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousebudden)
    Anyone take the M2 paper today?
    I did. The paper was solid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    Fair enough Lordvulture- take back what I said- though that is unfair though- people should be allowed on their potential and how good they are, not on their gender
    That's just part of the picture, there's the school you go to (compulsory state school quotas), where you are from (internationals get discriminated against despite paying the highest fees - again government policy), worse if you are from the EU... etc

We all want an ideal world :P but sadly that is never the case

ReputationRep:
    That's just part of the picture, there's the school you go to (compulsory state school quotas), where you are from (internationals get discriminated against despite paying the highest fees - again government policy), worse if you are from the EU... etc

I'm not an international applicant so can't comment on their position, but don't know why their should be any discrimination (unless you're calling them having a quota discrimination)

As for the state schools, I understand where they are coming from tbh. It's true that in some comprehensive schools the environment and quality of teachers stinks- so in that way it would be harder to perform well. However, I still think that a person who realised the importance of education should show some signs of potential (not all Cs and Ds) And if they didn't, well tough luck

But the gender thing is inexcusable IMO
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

The state school discrimination is fair though as private schools/better schools have an advantage, very different from gender discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    for anyone whos gone on a UCL open day. have your offers come through ucas yet and how long did it take? my open day was early december and still no news so pretty worried that theyve changed their minds or something! thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirino1)
    Has anyone applied to UCL for economics and a year abroad L101? I applied in October and haven't heard anything (or been invited to an open day..) help?
    Help you with what? Not many people have heard back from UCL, so just keep on waiting. Nothing you do will make them reply faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucymoore1567)
    I got an email today saying Leeds were holding my application
    yea so did i....i hope i still get in!! is that where you wanna go?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ellie_159)
    for anyone whos gone on a UCL open day. have your offers come through ucas yet and how long did it take? my open day was early december and still no news so pretty worried that theyve changed their minds or something! thanks
    I seem to recall this always taking a while; I wouldn't worry too much about it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this thread would be the best place to ask:

I'm on OCR Economics (AS) and was curious if 'The Economist' was a good read each week? It's a cheap subscription although i'm not sure if it will help that much with the two exams (Micro and Macro).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by phx)

I'm on OCR Economics (AS) and was curious if 'The Economist' was a good read each week? It's a cheap subscription although i'm not sure if it will help that much with the two exams (Micro and Macro).
    It's a good read but unlikely to (directly) help you with your exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    It's a good read but unlikely to (directly) help you with your exams.
    Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by phx)

It might help you with global and European context and relating your answers to current affairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    It might help you with global and European context and relating your answers to current affairs.
    Hmm I don't think it will be of much use. Do you know of any other resources which could benefit me?

ReputationRep:

What do you mean by that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esztereva)
    What he means is that if you have two equal candidates and one of them is from the EU and one from Britain, then they will probably choose the person from Britain. This is partly due to being more familiar with the qualifications taken in Britain than in other countries such as France, Germany or Italy. But I don't really believe that overseas students get discriminated against. LSE for example seems to love students that pay higher fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esztereva)
    means they tend to want to accept more home students than internationals, even given the fact that internationals generally significantly more... since EU students do not pay more, and they are not home students, they are even less likely to get in (generally speaking), but the difference between international and EU is only marginal... big gap between home and international though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    What he means is that if you have two equal candidates and one of them is from the EU and one from Britain, then they will probably choose the person from Britain. This is partly due to being more familiar with the qualifications taken in Britain than in other countries such as France, Germany or Italy. But I don't really believe that overseas students get discriminated against. LSE for example seems to love students that pay higher fees
    Cambridge does have quotas for internationals, and being an international student myself, I know this for a fact... I don't know about LSE, but it does seem that they take a lot of international students :P

ReputationRep:
    means they tend to want to accept more home students than internationals, even given the fact that internationals generally significantly more... since EU students do not pay more, and they are not home students, they are even less likely to get in (generally speaking), but the difference between international and EU is only marginal... big gap between home and international though
    Thanks. I was interested because a few days ago a friend of mine received a rejection which really shocked me and I started to suspect that maybe they disadvantaged EU students somehow. (I know the whole process is mysterious, but I really thought he was an ideal student for what he applied for, and it wasn't even that competitive compared to other Cambridge courses.)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.