Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Just started my personal statement! 1446 characters so far and I have barely said anything compared to what I want - this could be tricky. :eek:
    Good luck with that! How many characters are we allowed anyways?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Good luck with that! How many characters are we allowed anyways?
    Thanks. The character limit is 4000 (including spaces).

I guess removing pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism could help . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)

pseudoPHP might save a few characters
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)

That is a long word :L I thought admissions tutors hate it when people use unnecessarily long words to try and impress them?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by tateco)
    That is a long word :L I thought admissions tutors hate it when people use unnecessarily long words to try and impress them?
    I was kidding! I don't even know what that means.

It's quote hard to articulate ideas when you have so many.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    I was kidding! I don't even know what that means.

It's quote hard to articulate ideas when you have so many.
    Oh good, felt a bit out of touch there

I know! I have so much I feel I can talk about How much does yours look like in terms of a page at the moment?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Oh good, felt a bit out of touch there

I know! I have so much I feel I can talk about How much does yours look like in terms of a page at the moment?
    Two thirds of a page now, but still have 1400 characters left to fill (13 lines).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    Two thirds of a page now, but still have 1400 characters left to fill (13 lines).
    Pretty good going. I really need to finish my book! Going to try finish it this weekend so I can start my PS next week

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, my last exam is on the 20th and I go back to school the day after straight into PS mode. I have a lot of books to read aswell... *sigh* no rest for the wicked.

ReputationRep:
    for me hopefully UCL, Oxford, LSE, queen mary's and SOAS.. providing i get the grades of course

ReputationRep:
    in terms of reading out the subject, what books are good to read involving economics/ economic theory?

ReputationRep:
    Woah, everyone's intimidating me with all their excelling forwards into the PS. D:
    We're starting on Monday with the College, I think.
    I haven't done much reading around except for the basics among the likes of 'The Undercover Economist', it's overused, and doesn't allow for many exciting or original debates.. :rolleyes:

On another note, does anyone know which universities/institutions are heavily piled into international economics research statistics on tourism?
    I've contacted UCL, Bath, Warwick, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, the British Library, the NBER, QMUL, Economists online.. and was wondering where else there'd be. I know the WHO are big on world statistics, but I'm looking for something more involved with tourism.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know how you guys have started your PS! The hardest thing about it is probably knowing where to start
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Don't know how you guys have started your PS! The hardest thing about it is probably knowing where to start
    It is very early I think Groat is the only one that's started so far on here, I'm just reading and trying to form some good ideas before starting in the next month.

ReputationRep:
    It is very early I think Groat is the only one that's started so far on here, I'm just reading and trying to form some good ideas before starting in the next month.
    Yeah suppose it is, credit to Groat for writing it already though. Could do with reading a few more books, what ones have you started/finished Tateco?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    Yeah suppose it is, credit to Groat for writing it already though. Could do with reading a few more books, what ones have you started/finished Tateco?
    Yeah, I wish I was that organised. I'm going to go and collapse now, I'm so tired! If you send me a PM we can talk about books I don't want to put all my ideas up! :L

ReputationRep:
    if its 140 points for an A* at a-level and most people do 4 subjects thats maximum score of 560 yet unis like cambridge have a higher entry points that this so how are you meant to get more ucas points other than just grades? do gcse's do anything?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Hemzo)
    It's not a finished first draft. It's not hard to fill 4000 characters at all - it's surprisingly short! I might end up reading another book, but we'll have to see how my teachers like my first draft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    It's not a finished first draft. It's not hard to fill 4000 characters at all - it's surprisingly short! I might end up reading another book, but we'll have to see how my teachers like my first draft.
    Sorry meant to say started writing
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by chris_gloyne)
    if its 140 points for an A* at a-level and most people do 4 subjects thats maximum score of 560 yet unis like cambridge have a higher entry points that this so how are you meant to get more ucas points other than just grades? do gcse's do anything?
    It's because of the IB. If students do that and get 45 points it is worth something insane like 700 UCAS points. Don't be put off by that, though. Cambridge only take note of your best 3 A-levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.