Yep
    you?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Significant)
    Yep
    you?
    Back in the day, yes. I left in 2008. I'm guessing you do Economics; if so say hi to Mr G and Mr R for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Isn't that even more competitive than banking?
    I don't know about more competitive, but to get into it is really difficult - unlike Banking, a lot of thinktanks don't do internships. I think having a masters degree is really important for such work. At the lower levels, it's not as financially rewarding as Banking, although I guess if you can get to the top of a prominent thinktank where you're influencing policy decisions, then it's better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FDR)
    I don't know about more competitive, but to get into it is really difficult - unlike Banking, a lot of thinktanks don't do internships. I think having a masters degree is really important for such work. At the lower levels, it's not as financially rewarding as Banking, although I guess if you can get to the top of a prominent thinktank where you're influencing policy decisions, then it's better.
    That is really interesting and you actually do something sensible whereas banking is just there to make more money

But the problem is in order to get to a well-known thinktank you probably need more than a Master's. I suppose most of the employees even have Phds. As my main goal is also to work for such an institution someday, banking provides excellent exit opportunities and could help to attain such a job. I think no one here actually wants to work for an Investment Bank all their life. The work there is just too dull to put up with for longer than a couple of years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Don't worry, if I ever get such bonuses I will certainly enjoy them.

I kind of know how to use the equivalent method for traditional characters, but really slowly.
    I bet you will

:lol: Traditional characters are so silly. Hong Kong : y u no use simple language? Aww, well that's a start at least!

(Original post by alex_hk90)
    Back in my day it was a letter rather than any online communication.
    Makes you sound so much older than you actually are :giggle:

Did you use Mankiw at Cambridge by any chance?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    Just thought I'd say that your avatar doesn't load for me Don't know about anyone else though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    That is really interesting and you actually do something sensible whereas banking is just there to make more money

But the problem is in order to get to a well-known thinktank you probably need more than a Master's. I suppose most of the employees even have Phds. As my main goal is also to work for such an institution someday, banking provides excellent exit opportunities and could help to attain such a job. I think no one here actually wants to work for an Investment Bank all their life. The work there is just too dull to put up with for longer than a couple of years
    Yeah, unfortunately, it is a lot of work. However, a lot of thinktanks require researchers if you want to go straight into it. I've heard that if you've been in consulting previously, you can make the progression to a think tank quite well, as what you're dealing with in a consultancy is a lot broader than at an investment bank. Whilst at uni, I'll probably look into taster weeks etc at places like BCG, Bain, Zolfo Cooper etc to see what it's like.

ReputationRep:
    any offers today no the deadline has passed? sorry im being really lazy and not reading back on the thread, currently very stressed with C3 wooop x

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd say that your avatar doesn't load for me Don't know about anyone else though...
    me too although it always used to in the past... curious :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Just got an offer from Durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wit-tank)
    Well done!!!

ReputationRep:
    Also prepare for the onslaught of questions about grades haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    me too although it always used to in the past... curious :holmes:
    Oh thanks for the info! But it does load for me... That's so weird. I think I'll upload the avatar again, that might help

(Original post by FDR)
    Yeah, unfortunately, it is a lot of work. However, a lot of thinktanks require researchers if you want to go straight into it. I've heard that if you've been in consulting previously, you can make the progression to a think tank quite well, as what you're dealing with in a consultancy is a lot broader than at an investment bank. Whilst at uni, I'll probably look into taster weeks etc at places like BCG, Bain, Zolfo Cooper etc to see what it's like.
    That is true consultancy is probably also a good start to get a foot in the door of a thinktank someday. I'll definetely try to get as many internships as possible whilst being at uni. Only then I'll be able to decide what I really want to do for the next 10-20 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wachno)
    hi, can anyone who applied to lse this year tell me whether they asked you for ums? I have heard that the people who applied before the oxbridge deadline were asked and then people who applied after the oxbridge deadline were not asked?!
    I applied after the oxbridge deadline but I got still got asked about ums scores through a questionnaire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pancakeman123)
    Well done!!!
    (Original post by Pancakeman123)
    Also prepare for the onslaught of questions about grades haha
    Thanks

Haha really....?

ReputationRep:
    Any of the people in this thread applying to 'mid table' unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wachno)
    hi, can anyone who applied to lse this year tell me whether they asked you for ums? I have heard that the people who applied before the oxbridge deadline were asked and then people who applied after the oxbridge deadline were not asked?!
    nope, they ask the home students, but not the internationals (as internationals tend to do different qualifications) - I myself am an international who does A-levels and GCSEs but did not receive the form, and I applied before oxbridge deadline, but still got an offer

Obviously, if you applied very close or after the date they send forms out, you probably won't have it, in this case I'm not sure whether they will send it to you again, or they just won't bother - just like they don't bother to find the internationals who does A-levels and send them the form, so its obviously not a big consideration for the application

so don't worry about it!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by alittlehelp)
    Any of the people in this thread applying to 'mid table' unis?
    I did! Lancaster, York, Kent and QMUL.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Haha really....?
    well that happened to me when i got my warwick offer, although the thread was a lot more busy at the time

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 4, 2012

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.