Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Got rejected

yep FP1 this Friday :afraid:
    Out of curiosity what board are you doing and which modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    The insurance university might take you even if you don't get the grades?

Well done!

No.

Did you get an offer from Cambridge by the way?

EDIT: Just seen your sig - me neither, LSE will be amazing though!
    tat you got an offer from LSE?!!

(Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    It's quite strange. I'd have thought at least one of us would be made an offer. But I guess when you're competing with the best, it does turn into a lottery of sorts, a bit like medicine

Yeah, LSE is pretty good. It's probably the only university I have a chance of achieving a first at as well :lol:
    why is it the only university of achieving a first? and congrats on LSE offer, I'll be seeing you next year (hopefully if we make our offers) :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lordvulture)

why is it the only university of achieving a first? and congrats on LSE offer, I'll be seeing you next year (hopefully if we make our offers) :P
    Nope I didn't apply to LSE :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    Congrats! Did you receive it today?
    thankss. yeah earlier today my open day was last wednesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Why only LSE?
    (Original post by lordvulture)

Of the universities I've applied for, it's the most quantative course. Cambridge has economic history, etc.

Simply put, my writing skills just don't cut it. :lol:

Oh, and lordvulture, I'll probably be deffering entry until 2013.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    If anything I think traditional characters make more sense because they maintain the meanings behind them. :yep:

So do the simplified ones! :judge: too many strokes confuse me, handwriting would just be a nightmare

I know, after leaving uni I feel young again.

Really? But you're 21/22! Oh wait, that is young. Are your classmates the same age? :awesome:

:yes: For first-year Macro one of the main textbooks was Mankiw, or Mankiw and Taylor.
    I thought so, most universities in America and here use it I think :/ Looks just like an A level textbook and talks all about America ><

ReputationRep:

And good luck with FP1!!! Be careful, this year all the exams are harder than ever before! There will definetely come up some trick questions Are you on Edexcel?
    Where's the information from? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dat Guy)
    General consensus, the fact that there have been complaints to the major exam boards that the exams are becoming too easy.

ReputationRep:
    Your education minister (forgot his name ) said he wants to do something against the A* grade inflation because only the best students should attain those. It's also a topic heavily discussed on this forum. I took C1 and C2 last Friday and although C1 is usually a joke, this year's paper had some tricky questions. It was harder than any past papers. Also a friend of mine took S1 today and he also said that there were many tricky questions that weren't in any of the past papers. I don't know whether all examination boards are making their exams harder now and also whether it's only for the sciences or also for the arts. But Edexcel Maths is definetely getting more difficult from now on to prevent the grade inflation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    General consensus, the fact that there have been complaints to the major exam boards that the exams are becoming too easy.
    If this is true, M3 would probably shatter me

ReputationRep:
    If this is true, M3 would probably shatter me
    And here I am struggling with M1 :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    Sad but true, although my teacher says that every paper has been decided for years in advance and are locked away before they even see UV. Papers are produced in rounds so that they don't really go

"I set them a hard paper for June, gna do an easy one for January"

But yes, I do think they're trying to up our understanding of maths in general rather than learning the method and re-producing it :/

ReputationRep:
    Your education minister (forgot his name ) said he wants to do something against the A* grade inflation because only the best students should attain those. It's also a topic heavily discussed on this forum. I took C1 and C2 last Friday and although C1 is usually a joke, this year's paper had some tricky questions. It was harder than any past papers. Also a friend of mine took S1 today and he also said that there were many tricky questions that weren't in any of the past papers. I don't know whether all examination boards are making their exams harder now and also whether it's only for the sciences or also for the arts. But Edexcel Maths is definetely getting more difficult from now on to prevent the grade inflation.
    Do you think they're going to be harder even than Solomon papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    Sad but true, although my teacher says that every paper has been decided for years in advance and are locked away before they even see UV. Papers are produced in rounds so that they don't really go

"I set them a hard paper for June, gna do an easy one for January"

But yes, I do think they're trying to up our understanding of maths in general rather than learning the method and re-producing it :/
    And you can be sure that they make up for the easy paper by setting ridiculously high grade boundaries, which Edexcel seem to love to do. I just hope C3 is a kind paper...

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they're going to be harder even than Solomon papers?
    I think the C1 paper was harder than the few solomon papers I did. The C2 paper was on the same level as a solomon paper I guess, definetely not harder. And yea S1 was harder than the solomon papers as well my friend told me.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    I thought so, most universities in America and here use it I think :/ Looks just like an A level textbook and talks all about America ><
    I'm learning simplified writing now. And most of my classmates are older than me, only a few are younger (pre-uni gap year). :awesome: I think we used a European edition of Mankiw (and Taylor), which more or less meant they changed the Dollar signs to Euros.

Oh and I would agree that the exams generally are too easy - there's been a ridiculous amount of grade inflation, which is part of the reason why they brought in the A*.

ReputationRep:
    I think the C1 paper was harder than the few solomon papers I did. The C2 paper was on the same level as a solomon paper I guess, definetely not harder. And yea S1 was harder than the solomon papers as well my friend told me.
    Just asked my maths teacher who looked at C1 and C2. He disagreed, saying they were not the easiest, but not the hardest either. Also, he mentioned that papers were ready ages ago and wouldn't have been changed just because Michael Grove said something

ReputationRep:
    Just asked my maths teacher who looked at C1 and C2. He disagreed, saying they were not the easiest, but not the hardest either. Also, he mentioned that papers were ready ages ago and wouldn't have been changed just because Michael Grove said something
    Surely it's subjective but I did all the past papers from 2005 on to 2009 and this one was the hardest, I mean it was definetely doable, but it was harder than the usual easy stuff in the C1 exams.

ReputationRep:
    I'm learning simplified writing now. And most of my classmates are older than me, only a few are younger (pre-uni gap year). :awesome: I think we used a European edition of Mankiw (and Taylor), which more or less meant they changed the Dollar signs to Euros.

Oh and I would agree that the exams generally are too easy - there's been a ridiculous amount of grade inflation, which is part of the reason why they brought in the A*.
    Simplified writing is confusing You would think having learnt traditional writing that the simplified characters would be easier to read... Also, I find that if you go long periods without practising, you just forget all the words that you learn.

ReputationRep:

That's the stuff, you'll probably know more than me by the end of the year ! Ahw I'm guessing that they're not chinese seeing as you know... Chinese people wouldn't need to learn their own language. Right?

Haha, sounds legit, standard American logic. ignoring the GBP? ahw hell nawh!

:lol: I don't think exams are too easy I mean there are only so many questions you can ask for both science and art subjects, maybe the grade boundaries are too low because they let a certain percentage get a certain grade. :holmes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.