The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7520
Original post by headlines

Original post by headlines
I think LSE students are one of the most career motivated students in the world. I think they wouldn't really like people coming to them and asking their grades, especially someone they don't know. It seems that you were interrogating them, asking all 10 what their grades were and where they work. Isn't that a bit excessive? So that is why they gave you some unmotivated answers.

Why would I want to put off future students from applying to LSE? I was just giving my view point from what I experienced. Of course its not representative, anyone with a brain could figure that out. As for asking them about their academic profile - we were sitting down in a room discussing future prospects and everyone was stating what they achieved, where they're from, and what they plan to do in the future. I decided to ask them a few questions (about internships) as that is the WHOLE point of the shadowing program and the discussion.

Like I stated in my previous post: 'I'm not applying for Economics so my view may be different to yours'
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by isp
I got bored so I started asking them if they completed any internships yet, only two said they did. Can't remember what the names of the banks were but they weren't any out of the (GS, CS, BarCap, JP, MS, DB), didn't look like any of them had the passion to go into banking. Hell some of them didn't even know what they wanted to do. I would think by the time your a second year at university you would have some thought of what type of career you want to pursue.

Jesus wept.
Anyone got M1 tomorrow? How's revision going?
Original post by 94george94
Anyone got M1 tomorrow? How's revision going?

Edexcel? Pretty bad going atm, I did Jan 2011 earlier and got around 78%, now I'm just going through the textbook again. I'll do the June 2011 tonight...

Not confident for tomorrow at all :sad:

How about you?
Original post by jamiepango
Edexcel? Pretty bad going atm, I did Jan 2011 earlier and got around 78%, now I'm just going through the textbook again. I'll do the June 2011 tonight...

Not confident for tomorrow at all :sad:

How about you?

Going through the Solomon papers, feeling decent, but the speculation about Edexcel increasing the difficulty of their papers is worrying me!
Reply 7525
Original post by redmouse
i applied on the oct 15 deadline and have been rejected by cambridge.

GCSEs: 9.5A*s 2As

AS: AAAB

guess i got an offer today as there was something warwick needed to check regarding my biology AS and when it was resolved, they thought they may as well send me my decision letter asap...

but i feel seriously lucky. i know how fussy warwick can be about AAAA at AS level so really shocked!

Congrats. Nah dude great results. Probably deserved it. I can't take the waiting anymore :frown: After Cambridge rejection I am relying on Warwick.
Going through the Solomon papers, feeling decent, but the speculation about Edexcel increasing the difficulty of their papers is worrying me!

Even if Edexcel is really increasing the difficulty for all their papers, doing solomon papers will prepare you really well for the exams, don't worry :smile:
Original post by isp
Went to LSE yesterday with a friend who had a shadowing lecture for BSc Economics as he plans to apply their next year. Went to two lectures, had a tour, visited the library, sat down and spoke with current students (first and second year). It wasn't very good in my opinion. With all the hype I mean I thought LSE would be amazing. The lecturers were the "Run in, give lecture and then run out" type. As for the students the 11 people I spoke to only 3 were home students. It's packed with students from abroad. They all had amazing A-Level grades with an average of 7A*'s at GCSE between the 10 of them. As for A-Levels the foreign students had over 5 A's at A2 with the two home students having the standard A*AA or A*A*A. I got bored so I started asking them if they completed any internships yet, only two said they did. Can't remember what the names of the banks were but they weren't any out of the (GS, CS, BarCap, JP, MS, DB), didn't look like any of them had the passion to go into banking. Hell some of them didn't even know what they wanted to do. I would think by the time your a second year at university you would have some thought of what type of career you want to pursue.

I'm not applying for Economics so my view may be different to yours although for me LSE didn't live up to its expectations.

Aren't Internships normally during the penultimate year? So it isn't that surprising that they haven't done any
Original post by funkydee
Aren't Internships normally during the penultimate year? So it isn't that surprising that they haven't done any

They're usually between the penultimate and final years, yes.
Reply 7529
Original post by Overmars

Original post by Overmars
Jesus wept.

Don't see the problem with that. Regardless, didn't think people would find it offensive to post how my day went at LSE :biggrin:

Second year is the penultimate year
(edited 12 years ago)

Second year is penultimate year isn't it?

really?? S1 and S2 were the easiest papers I've done, where do you hear that from? (I haven't done any others this Jan but will be doing C4, in a way I hope for a hard paper, cos I hate narrow boundaries!!)
Original post by lordvulture
really?? S1 and S2 were the easiest papers I've done, where do you hear that from? (I haven't done any others this Jan but will be doing C4, in a way I hope for a hard paper, cos I hate narrow boundaries!!)

Just the general consensus from maths teachers.

Grade boundaries harder to get 90+ in Jan anyway because its mostly sat by FM.
Original post by isp

Second year is the penultimate year

Original post by Melikeyflute
Second year is penultimate year isn't it?

Yes, but the 8-12 internships are usually done in the summer of the 2nd year, so between end of 2nd year and beginning of 3rd...
Yes, but the 8-12 internships are usually done in the summer of the 2nd year, so between end of 2nd year and beginning of 3rd...

Oh okay, I didn't realise.

Good luckk to everyone sitting C3 tomorrow. Really need this for Economics haha
Nottingham offer! AAA or AABB (13 mins ago if anyone was wondering)
Original post by -Illmatic-

Congrats!!! Finally more offers are rolling in :smile:

Congratulations, Econ with German?

Glückwünsche famalam :biggrin:
Original post by nightmare91
Congrats!!! Finally more offers are rolling in :smile:

Thank you!

Congratulations, Econ with German?

Thanks! Yeah thats the one! 5 spaces for that course :tongue:

Original post by Tomatochuckers
Glückwünsche famalam :biggrin:

Thank you! Oh yeah, anyone who says Nottingham are GCSE Nazis are wrong :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending