Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Warwick's reply:

Thank you for your email regarding our entry requirements for Economics.

Due to the subject overlap with Mathematics and Further Mathematics at A2 Level, we ask candidates to ensure that they offer two more additional A Levels. Furthermore, we do advise students to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula.

The current offer for applicants taking Maths and Further Maths at A Level is A*AAA excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.

If you take AS Level Further Maths it would be excluded from any offer made.

There is no advantage or disadvantage to taking Further Maths at AS Level or A Level and applicants, but you should be aware of the offers including and excluding these subjects.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards
    Lynn Owens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    Warwick's reply:

Due to the subject overlap with Mathematics and Further Mathematics at A2 Level, we ask candidates to ensure that they offer two more additional A Levels. Furthermore, we do advise students to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula.

The current offer for applicants taking Maths and Further Maths at A Level is A*AAA excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking.

There is no advantage or disadvantage to taking Further Maths at AS Level or A Level and applicants, but you should be aware of the offers including and excluding these subjects.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards
    Lynn Owens
    Thanks, this helps quite a lot I am also surprised by the fact that they are excluding AS Level Further Maths from the offer, as I would have expected them to offer something like A*AAa.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick's reply:

I hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards
    Lynn Owens
    Sounds good! I think I might take up Further Maths AS next year to help me with other universities that may desire it such as Bath.

Thanks for sharing
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Warwick's reply:

I hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards
    Lynn Owens
    Cheers for sharing mate!

I'm particularly surprised by their comment I have put in bold. I guess TSR blows things way out of proportion sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    Cheers for sharing mate!

I'm particularly surprised by their comment I have put in bold. I guess TSR blows things way out of proportion sometimes.
    That can't be right though surely.

If you have 2 very similar candidates and one offers a predicted A/A* at further maths alongside the rest of their subjects, surely they would favour him?...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Competencies)
    That can't be right though surely.

If you have 2 very similar candidates and one offers a predicted A/A* at further maths alongside the rest of their subjects, surely they would favour him?...
    Do you believe my opinion (the opinion of a probably misinformed 16 year old who only has rumours from TSR to go on) or the opinion of an admissions tutor from one of the top universities in the country... I know who I would believe

I think you're probably right that it could be a deciding factor, but I don't think that they can make it such a deciding factor considering they would give someone with further maths an offer of A*AAA whereas someone without it only A*AA.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it should have read

"but you should be aware of the offers (or lack of offers) including and excluding these subjects"

:teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Added to the fact that the email says there's no advantage, the top unis really don't mention FM on their course requirements or preferred list. I think that TSR advice is do FM because in the past it was necessary but that's changed now.

I'll post the replies of UCL and Cambridge when I get them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Added to the fact that the email says there's no advantage, the top unis really don't mention FM on their course requirements or preferred list. I think that TSR advice is do FM because in the past it was necessary but that's changed now.

I'll post the replies of UCL and Cambridge when I get them.
    I imagine the response from those two will be different. Because UCL actually lowers the offer for people with further maths, and an admissions tutor from Cambridge was signalling the importance of it at a conference I went to.

But it will be interesting to find out. What E-mail address did you send the question to Warwick? Because I tried sending them an email about a month ago and they didn't get back to me, maybe if I send it to the right one I might get a reply

ReputationRep:
    [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, an A*AAA offer doesn't look so enticing. I'm glad LSE give out A*AAE offers to Further Maths applicants lol.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by zxh800)
    Hmm, an A*AAA offer doesn't look so enticing. I'm glad LSE give out A*AAE offers to Further Maths applicants lol.
    I think it's getting the offers that's going to be the difficult point. Getting an offer from one of the top 5 is definitely a very good achievement

ReputationRep:
    Haven't looked much at this thread much but is anyone going to the Birmingham open day on saturday?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I'm applying to the UK from Canada this October for Economics, and really hope I get in (I really don't want to stay here for university...)!

My Top 3 Choices are
    - Cambridge
    - St. Andrew's
    - LSE

But am a little stuck on what other two to choose for Economics, any recommendations?
    Thanks!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rockinrobin337)
    Hi everyone!
    I'm applying to the UK from Canada this October for Economics, and really hope I get in (I really don't want to stay here for university...)!

My Top 3 Choices are
    - Cambridge
    - St. Andrew's
    - LSE

But am a little stuck on what other two to choose for Economics, any recommendations?
    Thanks!
    They're three very competitive choices. You do have a slight edge because I assume you'd pay international fees (especially with LSE), but to reduce risks you should go for some slightly lower universities. For example Birmingham, York maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockinrobin337)
    Hi everyone!

My Top 3 Choices are
    - Cambridge
    - St. Andrew's
    - LSE

Thanks!
    Depends how you feel buddy, if you're feeling relatively confident then I would advise two other top universities. Otherwise I'd follow Tat's advice and go for two medium choice universities like Southampton/York/Durham. All ask for one grade less than LSE and Cambridge. I'm not too sure what St.Andrews are asking for though. All the best in your application mate

ReputationRep:
    anyone going to LSE open day?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mcfc2009)
    anyone going to LSE open day?
    Think I've decided not to bother with LSE this year, might be too risky considering my other choices and I think I'm more likely to get into the other 3 of the top 5 than LSE.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by tateco)
    Think I've decided not to bother with LSE this year, might be too risky considering my other choices and I think I'm more likely to get into the other 3 of the top 5 than LSE.
    Ah, you should still have a look! It's always worth putting it down if you love it despite the worry of results.

I'm just considering whether I want to apply to two London universities.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    Ah, you should still have a look! It's always worth putting it down if you love it despite the worry of results.

I'm just considering whether I want to apply to two London universities.
    It's not really the worry of results, just the lack of further maths. It's the only university that specifies a strong preference for further maths. There's also issues with the living costs in London...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.