Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alexsmith_85)
    Does anyone know which straight economics courses are the most mathematical?
    LSE EME is about as mathematical as economics is going to get. UCL and Warwick are both quite mathematical and so is Cambridge.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm interested to know UCL's opinions on Further Maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    omg same!!! I'm dying to know
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    (Original post by YingYang)
    omg same!!! I'm dying to know
    (Original post by Psychotic546)
    I still haven't got a reply from them but do let me know what they say.
    I'll let you know when/if they reply. I might call up in a week or so if I don't hear back. A lot of the universities don't seem very responsive to these emails.

Psychotic, have you heard back from any of the other universities (other than Warwick) what their stance is on further maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    I'll let you know when/if they reply. I might call up in a week or so if I don't hear back. A lot of the universities don't seem very responsive to these emails.

Psychotic, have you heard back from any of the other universities (other than Warwick) what their stance is on further maths?
    Nope nothing unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    To save you all looking. The Times 2012 University rankings are....

For Economics (Top 10)

1 Cambridge
    2 Oxford
    3 LSE
    4 UCL
    5 Warwick
    6 Nottingham
    7 Durham
    8 Bath
    9 Glasgow
    10 St Andrews

General University Ranking (Top 20)

1 University of Oxford
    2 University of Cambridge
    3 London School of Economics and Political Science
    4 Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
    5 University College London
    6 Durham University
    6 University of St Andrews
    8 University of Warwick
    9 Lancaster University
    10 University of Exeter
    11 University of York
    12 University of Bath
    13 University of Bristol
    14 University of Sussex
    15 University of Edinburgh
    16 University of Nottingham
    17 University of Sheffield
    17 University of Leicester
    19 Southampton University
    20 Loughborough University

My opinion on the rankings... broadly accurate. You can quibble one or two places and one or two universities, but it's fairly legit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gradjobplease)
    To save you all looking. The Times 2012 University rankings are....

For Economics (Top 10)

1 Cambridge
    2 Oxford
    3 LSE
    4 UCL
    5 Warwick
    6 Nottingham
    7 Durham
    8 Bath
    9 Glasgow
    10 St Andrews

General University Ranking (Top 20)

1 University of Oxford
    2 University of Cambridge
    3 London School of Economics and Political Science
    4 Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
    5 University College London
    6 Durham University
    6 University of St Andrews
    8 University of Warwick
    9 Lancaster University
    10 University of Exeter
    11 University of York
    12 University of Bath
    13 University of Bristol
    14 University of Sussex
    15 University of Edinburgh
    16 University of Nottingham
    17 University of Sheffield
    17 University of Leicester
    19 Southampton University
    20 Loughborough University

My opinion on the rankings... broadly accurate. You can quibble one or two places and one or two universities, but it's fairly legit.
    Meh, rankings mean nothing. Although I agree with you, the top 10 for economics is roughly what I had in mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsmith_85)
    Does anyone know which straight economics courses are the most mathematical?
    Are you talking about the maths usage within economics modules and/or the the number of maths modules you can choose optionally?

LSE EME is about as mathematical as economics is going to get. UCL and Warwick are both quite mathematical and so is Cambridge.
    EME is not straight econ though, and Cambridge is not that mathematical.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by danny111)
    EME is not straight econ though, and Cambridge is not that mathematical.
    Apologies, misread the question. The admissions tutor at Cambridge gave the impression that a lot of it was Maths, but from looking at the compulsory modules it does look like less than I thought.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies, misread the question. The admissions tutor at Cambridge gave the impression that a lot of it was Maths, but from looking at the compulsory modules it does look like less than I thought.
    Of course he did. Many people equate (more correctly than wrongly) that more maths means better/harder.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I had an email back from Cambridge Admissions today, but it was really wishy washy:

As has been the case for the last two years, the standard conditional A Level offer for 2012 entry will be A*AA. The subject in which the A* is to be achieved is unlikely to be specified in most cases. Most applicants to Cambridge are studying three or four A Level subjects.

All Colleges modify offers to take account of individual circumstances, so someone who has achieved 3 A Levels would not be at a disadvantage compared to someone who had 5. Lower offers may be made to students applying through the Cambridge Special Access Scheme, whose potential hasn't been realised at school because of significant educational or personal disadvantage. On the other hand, more challenging offers may be set where some doubt exists and the alternative is no offer.
    I think this is a standard email as it didn't really answer my question about whether I should consider dropping a subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    it didn't really answer my question about whether I should consider dropping a subject.
    You do 5 subjects now so I think you should seriously consider dropping one. 5 is just complete overkill and it's not going to help doing that many. Lots of people have informed me there is quite a step up to A2 and I'm pretty sure it's not going to make a massive difference to your application.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by somaiyar)
    Make that three, I also didnt take up FM, and it was too late in the course to change, so i'm applying with Maths, Economics, Physics and Chemistry
    Still a very strong set, where you thinking of applying?

How is everyone getting on with A2 economics and maths?

I've personally only had a few lessons of each but they seem good so far!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Still a very strong set, where you thinking of applying?

How is everyone getting on with A2 economics and maths?

I've personally only had a few lessons of each but they seem good so far!
    We're doing a 5-week project in Economics. It feels . . . such a waste of time!

C3/C4 are fun.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    We're doing a 5-week project in Economics. It feels . . . such a waste of time!

C3/C4 are fun.
    What does that involved? We've been asked to write a short piece summarising the EU but it is only short

I actually like what I've done in C3/C4 so far better than any of the other units, seems more algebra which is what I'm better at (I think )
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    What does that involved? We've been asked to write a short piece summarising the EU but it is only short

I actually like what I've done in C3/C4 so far better than any of the other units, seems more algebra which is what I'm better at (I think )
    Labour market trends.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    Labour market trends.
    Sounds riveting... Our teacher hasn't started teaching yet

ReputationRep:
    We're not even starting A2 this year :eek:

The teacher is making us do target 2.0 and making us brush up on our presentation skills. What a waste of time.

Maths is okay- I like it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jamiepango)

The teacher is making us do target 2.0 and making us brush up on our presentation skills. What a waste of time.

Maths is okay- I like it
    I'm doing target 2.0! It's not a waste of time at all, it's probably one of the only extra curriculars you can do which directly relates to economics.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jamiepango)

Maths is okay- I like it
    Presentation skills are about one of the most important things in the business world, by no means a waste of time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.