Economics Applicant Thread UCAS 2012 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Acerbic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Melikeyflute)
Perhaps I asked you too many questions. Did they give you a reason as to why they rejected you? I'm just wondering because I got rejected from Cambridge and if someone that got an offer from Cambridge got rejected from Warwick then what are my chances?
They didn't give a reason, but I got (relatively speaking) poor gcses and don't do further maths.
Melikeyflute
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nightmare91)
Greed is good.
Nono, you've got it the wrong way round! Greed is bad! Isn't that what they taught you in primary school?

And okay, thanks for the response Acerbic and Datguy.
somaiyar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So if the last ucl economics invitation day is on the 14th march, then surely we should be expecting all offer replies this week because they can't really give you less than two weeks notice can they?
Hackett
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by WalkerPrince)
Well despite your abundance in knowledge, I think I'll go with the student there.
Yeah...But he is wrong.

+ The fact the salary is pro - ratered so if someone were to do a placement from Bath at an IB you would take home circa 18k gross, morevover I beleive you do placements where the 1st one, your salary is slightly lower. So to think you will come away with 50k is completely wrong. This added to the fact that a newly graduated Analyst expects to be on 36k base.
Last edited by Hackett; 6 years ago
jamiepango
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by somaiyar)
So if the last ucl economics invitation day is on the 14th march, then surely we should be expecting all offer replies this week because they can't really give you less than two weeks notice can they?
:yes: I think you're right. Although I do remember some people receiving an invitation roughly one week before the actual open day, so it could go so far as 7th March...
Tateco
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by somaiyar)
It seems like they can give as little as 1 week notice.
Tateco
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hackett)
Yeah...But he is wrong.
You might have a bit of knowledge about IB but you can't claim to know what every Bath economics undergraduate was doing in their placement year.

Did you get onto the Credit Suisse scheme?
Moiraclaire
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nadine10)
no offence, but are you doing economics just to get a job in investment banking because you will make more money?
In economics, do we not assume that all economic agents wish to maximise their own self-interest?
One may choose another career than Investment Banking for non-monetary reasons granted...

I love economics and I want to be rich. not necessarily independent variable hahaha
Nadine10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nightmare91)
Greed is good.
HAHAH "someone reminded me that I once said greed it good"
perrytheplatypus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
After the open day, I can't decide between LSE and UCL. They're both miles ahead of every other university on terms of research for Economics. Sigh...life was easier when I thought there was only one top university for that catagory
mistry10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is my first ever post soo here goes..

I am in year 12 at the moment studying maths (a2), french (as) and economics (as). i will definitely continue with french and economics next year (year 13) but i am unsure of whether to do further maths to either a level or AS, as i am finding maths quite hard at the moment. i am hoping to go to lse or ucl to study economics and was wondering how crucial it is for me to study further maths?

there is still an option for me to take up a new subject for AS such as geography.

any advice would be greatly appreciated
JuKaMy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by perrytheplatypus)
After the open day, I can't decide between LSE and UCL. They're both miles ahead of every other university on terms of research for Economics. Sigh...life was easier when I thought there was only one top university for that catagory
not a bad choice to have to make which one are you edging to atm?
JuKaMy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mistry10)

I am in year 12 at the moment studying maths (a2), french (as) and economics (as). i will definitely continue with french and economics next year (year 13) but i am unsure of whether to do further maths to either a level or AS, as i am finding maths quite hard at the moment. i am hoping to go to lse or ucl to study economics and was wondering how crucial it is for me to study further maths?

there is still an option for me to take up a new subject for AS such as geography.

You pretty much do need Fmaths if you want to have a chance, though AS is enough if you have other strong subjects.

Unfortunately, even though you say you are finding maths difficult, i would say because of your economics and french (though the language is good, economics if not needed and these unis would probably prefer one of them to be a science) that you probably need full A Level Fmaths next year. The light at the end of the tunnel is that if you do manage to get an offer from, let's say LSE, then they will probably just ask for E (pass) in Fmaths A Level.

Don't take up geography (unless you love it and don't want to do econ at LSE or UCL)
Tateco
Rep:
?
Didn't realise you got an offer for UCL, well done!
Tateco
Rep:
?
(Original post by mistry10)

Got to be FM A2, it MIT be a challenge but trust me it will be worth it.
edaa1989
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I sent everything to LSE Graduate Admissions Office about 2 weeks ago, got a final email from them about 4 or 5 days ago. My first choice is Diploma in Accounting & Finance (then plan on going into the MSc) and second choice is an MSc in Finance. I keep checking LSE For You, but nothing yet! Still "under consideration by the department". I keep checking and checking, I know it can take ages but nonethless!
FDR
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
flip a coin to decide? Chances are, you'll be wanting it to land on a certain side, and that way you'll know where you really want to go before it's even landed.
WalkerPrince
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Has to be LSE.
a.t.123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
LSE BRO!
Tateco
Rep:
?
Because you're interested in postgraduate studies LSE is probably better, having said that it's not like you are going to get turned down from any postgraduate courses with a 1st from UCL being the reason!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18

If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

think I'm a brilliant applicant (534)
36.65%
are desperate for students (923)
63.35%

Watched Threads