Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anwar1808)
    Hello Clever People of TSR,

I got an offer from SOAS and Manchester (asking for the same grades) and need to choose between the two for insurance, at least. Disregarding the "this-city-is-better-than-that-city" argument, which one do you think is a better choice and why?

Secondly, I still haven't heard from LSE and Warwick (EPAIS). Are they one of those brutal unis who reject people on the 30th of March? haha..

Thanks!
    i think Manchester has quite a good rep for business (i wonder if this spreads to econ too?), i know nothing about SOAS though...

ReputationRep:

I got an offer from SOAS and Manchester (asking for the same grades) and need to choose between the two for insurance, at least. Disregarding the "this-city-is-better-than-that-city" argument, which one do you think is a better choice and why?

Secondly, I still haven't heard from LSE and Warwick (EPAIS). Are they one of those brutal unis who reject people on the 30th of March? haha..

Thanks!
    If I were to choose, I would opt for Manchester
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Thanks!
    I'd choose Manchester

ReputationRep:
    For everyone who did Edexcel Economics unit 3, is the mark you get on your results sheet your raw marks out of 80? Or is it out of 100?
    Just making sure, thanks

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    Personally, I think SOAS is a better choice - smaller class sizes than at Manchester (although Manchester will offer far, far more module choice because of this and the fact that SOAS is obviously focused on a particular region and a lot on development economics), but also I think the average ucas tariff at SOAS is a lot higher than at Manchester, so you'll be alongside smarter classmates, which to me is quite important as you will probably learn a lot from them given that is who you will spend most time with (more than with lecturers etc).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Confused101)
    For everyone who did Edexcel Economics unit 3, is the mark you get on your results sheet your raw marks out of 80? Or is it out of 100?
    Just making sure, thanks
    If it says A next to a mark between 64-80 then it's out of 80, if it said B next to a mark between 70-79 then it's out of 100
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by FDR)
    Personally, I think SOAS is a better choice - smaller class sizes than at Manchester (although Manchester will offer far, far more module choice because of this and the fact that SOAS is obviously focused on a particular region and a lot on development economics), but also I think the average ucas tariff at SOAS is a lot higher than at Manchester, so you'll be alongside smarter classmates, which to me is quite important as you will probably learn a lot from them given that is who you will spend most time with (more than with lecturers etc).
    Where do you have offers from?

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question,

In my Jan exams I got a (slightly disappointing) 70% in maths core 3. I haven't heard back from UCL L100 yet, however if i did get an offer I might need A* in maths and this isn't possible with my current results.

Do I email UCL asking for advice on whether to retake or not/ask for info on the status of my application?

Also does anyone know anything about UCL's policy on retakes? I heard a rumor that they do not allow them?!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Where do you have offers from?
    I have offers from RHUL, York and Notts. Will probably firm Notts and put York as an insurance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by emily_becca)
    Just a quick question,

In my Jan exams I got a (slightly disappointing) 70% in maths core 3. I haven't heard back from UCL L100 yet, however if i did get an offer I might need A* in maths and this isn't possible with my current results.

Do I email UCL asking for advice on whether to retake or not/ask for info on the status of my application?

Also does anyone know anything about UCL's policy on retakes? I heard a rumor that they do not allow them?!

Thank you!
    I don't think it would help your application by telling them its impossible for you to meet their potential requirements with your current grades :P

However, I don't see how universities are able to tell whether you resist between January and summer anyway you could email UCL anonymously asking for their stance on retakes, without risking your own application
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by FDR)
    I have offers from RHUL, York and Notts. Will probably firm Notts and put York as an insurance.
    Cool I'd do the same in your position, are you still waiting on universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    I don't think it would help your application by telling them its impossible for you to meet their potential requirements with your current grades :P

However, I don't see how universities are able to tell whether you resist between January and summer anyway you could email UCL anonymously asking for their stance on retakes, without risking your own application
    Yes thats a good point haha! Hmm good idea I'll try that, hope they reply before the resit deadline (thurs :s)
    Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by emily_becca)
    Yes thats a good point haha! Hmm good idea I'll try that, hope they reply before the resit deadline (thurs :s)
    Thanks
    Could always give them a call if necessary, I honestly don't think it I'll be an issue at all, how could they find out?! They don't specify it as an issue anywhere obvious anyway...

ReputationRep:
    hi all,

can anyone help me to decide bewteen soutnapton and manchester for straght economics.

which is more respected by employers?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Durham, Exeter, QM and York joining the Russell Group

:holmes: interesting
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    Durham, Exeter, QM and York joining the Russell Group

:holmes: interesting
    The whole thing will just move into insignificance with nearly any established half decent university joining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ugk4life)
    hi all,

can anyone help me to decide bewteen soutnapton and manchester for straght economics.

which is more respected by employers?

thanks
    Haha, it's not that bad! But for a straight answer I would have thought Manchester. Just guessing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melikeyflute)
    Haha, it's not that bad! But for a straight answer I would have thought Manchester. Just guessing.
    lol ima have to edit that lol.

thanks for response, yeah most people seem to be saying manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've just wanted to let you now that a friend of mine called up LSE and UCL yesterday and UCL said that they have only given out half of the offers for their Economics course. So don't lose all your hope yet! LSE said that there are still a 'significant' amount of offers to make. The ones in the gathered field are the very last of the application process. Hence I believe most of them will hear from LSE during the last week of March. The ones that weren't put into the gathered field will hear from them sooner. Let's hope it's very soon...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    Hey guys, I've just wanted to let you now that a friend of mine called up LSE and UCL yesterday and UCL said that they have only given out half of the offers for their Economics course. So don't lose all your hope yet! LSE said that there are still a 'significant' amount of offers to make. The ones in the gathered field are the very last of the application process. Hence I believe most of them will hear from LSE during the last week of March. The ones that weren't put into the gathered field will hear from them sooner. Let's hope it's very soon...
    Really? I thought that the fact that I haven't got an offer yet means UCL are rejecting me as the last open day is tommorow. I'm not too worried as I'm firming Camb but want UCL as insurance.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.