Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Negligible difference between prospects, shouldn't be a deciding factor.
    Thank you!

(Original post by -Illmatic-)
    Bristol. I mean, the city is buzzing, amazing rep (not that Durham is lacking in rep, mind!), really close-knit department, awesome course. I dont think you'd lose with either, though. Are you from a big city? That might be a deciding factor
    I did love it when I went to see it. I'm from a city, moved to a town, and then an even smaller town, so I do miss city life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbyyyyyyy)
    x
    Awesome. I'm also firming Bristol (unless I have a suddenly develop a penchant towards Nottingham ) Let me know what your decision is

ReputationRep:
    Awesome. I'm also firming Bristol (unless I have a suddenly develop a penchant towards Nottingham ) Let me know what your decision is
    Will do! Is yours straight economics, too?

ReputationRep:
    Will do! Is yours straight economics, too?
    Well, technically yes. L101 so I'll be spending a year in Germany but I'm tempted to just scrap the extra year if it language classes etc become effort...lol. I'd rather just focus on Economics tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Well, technically yes. L101 so I'll be spending a year in Germany but I'm tempted to just scrap the extra year if it language classes etc become effort...lol. I'd rather just focus on Economics tbh.
    Yeah, I suppose it's nice that you can just see how it goes before deciding. Do you know what accommodation you'd be applying for yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I suppose it's nice that you can just see how it goes before deciding. Do you know what accommodation you'd be applying for yet?
    Yeah exactly :cookie:

I have no clue lol i havent checked anything at all. Tbh as long as I have a roof over my head and I’m not living with uptight people or anything, I don’t really mind too much. Not really willing to share a bathroom though, I do some lethal ****s no joke

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly :cookie:

I have no clue lol i havent checked anything at all. Tbh as long as I have a roof over my head and I’m not living with uptight people or anything, I don’t really mind too much. Not really willing to share a bathroom though, I do some lethal ****s no joke
    Ahaha hope I'm not near you! I'll be happy as long as I'm somewhere self-catered and not miles away.

ReputationRep:
    Ahaha hope I'm not near you! I'll be happy as long as I'm somewhere self-catered and not miles away.
    Lol if you're in Stoke Bishop and I'm @ Clifton (or vice versa) then you're safe haha. Self-catered...hmmm I dont know. Why Self catered?

ReputationRep:
    Lol if you're in Stoke Bishop and I'm @ Clifton (or vice versa) then you're safe haha. Self-catered...hmmm I dont know. Why Self catered?
    Just because I don't really have regular eating times, and I go through phases of what I like, so I think catered would be a bit restricted for me.

ReputationRep:
    Just because I don't really have regular eating times, and I go through phases of what I like, so I think catered would be a bit restricted for me.
    Have you seen the formals though? Harry Potter-esque; looks like a step down from Oxbridge haha. I think I'll go for self-catered as well because communal kitchen seem to be cool. Lol "phases": I'm gonna be going through student-y phases: eat anything available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Still considering asking to defer and having a gap year, got a couple of interviews coming up.

Well it might be better suited to you then. The optional modules don't look very good, one of the first year ones is business accounting...
    Is this for UCL? Make sure you do it early! They'll ask you what you'll be doing/plans you have made

Also as for the Durham quantitive debate (which always comes up) I have seen one of the first year maths/econometrcsy papers and it didn't look too bad. Haven't seen it for other universities though so cant compare.

It's also true that it the Economics department is actually a subpart of the Economics, Finance and Business department, which itself is under Durham Business School. I think overall if you look at the modules Durham is less quantitive than Bath and Bristol in first year at least and probably beyond. I haven't really looked too far into it but Durham's mathsy unit "Economic Methods" only requires a minimum of AS Level Maths at Grade B
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handboo..._code=ECON1021

whereas Bath has two clearly defined maths units, stats and generic core.

ReputationRep:
    Oh also any news on the DoS approved unit for Bath? I didn't actually go to the open day so anything anyone would like to tell me would be erm, very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    Oh also any news on the DoS approved unit for Bath? I didn't actually go to the open day so anything anyone would like to tell me would be erm, very helpful
    Hey man. They didn't say specifically what we would be allowed but they said it has to be somewhat related and then you can ask the DoS. The most common units are selected from the school of management. He made a joke that you can't take a chemical engineering unit or something unrelated like that. Hope that makes it clearer for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wit-tank)
    Durham or UCL w/Year Abroad.
    CANNOT DECIDE??
    Oh dear , let me help you son . 1st , this is what most Investment banks were saying about our econ , "ucl economics students are very much sort after due to the rigorousness and quantitativeness of their course which is what we look for and that's is why we recruit heavily here " , Goldman Sachs . Do you know ucl econ is probably the most mathematical one of all the UK econ courses ? And i dont know where you got information that there isnt much tutor-student connection because it is very much there ...depending on career , but if you want IB , then there is no question where to go , haha . No disrespect to Durham but comparing the 2 is like comparing Champions League football and Europa league . Oh , besides , that ucl course with a year abroad is unbeatable , its just a hot one ! If you are so confused about where to go , i m sure you like Durham because when it comes to quality of the courses , then ucl tops by a country mile .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yash13)
    Hey man. They didn't say specifically what we would be allowed but they said it has to be somewhat related and then you can ask the DoS. The most common units are selected from the school of management. He made a joke that you can't take a chemical engineering unit or something unrelated like that. Hope that makes it clearer for you.
    Languages? :daydreaming:

Ah I see, Cheers! makes sense

ReputationRep:
    Languages? :daydreaming:

Ah I see, Cheers! makes sense
    Yeah I think they said about languages.

Something about how some language units may not count towards your degree. Not sure though wasn't listening to that bit intensely.

No problem. You considering Bath. I've firmed.

ReputationRep:
    Also, ah should have asked this earlier. Does anyone have the Mark scheme fo F585 June 2011? o.O

(Original post by Yash13)
    Yeah I think they said about languages.

Something about how some language units may not count towards your degree. Not sure though wasn't listening to that bit intensely.

No problem. You considering Bath. I've firmed.
    But but most universities allow one or two language modules to be incorporated :cry2: I'll email them if I decide to go.

Erm it's between Bath and taking a gap year so kindoff I guess! Wooo, looking at accommodation now?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is this for UCL? Make sure you do it early! They'll ask you what you'll be doing/plans you have made

Yeah I'm going to do it as quickly as possible, but I can't help how late the interviews are :P

ReputationRep:
    LSE Economics vs. Berkerley undergraduate college of arts and sciences

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post36932151

I'd appreciate any comments/ advice

ReputationRep:
    Also, ah should have asked this earlier. Does anyone have the Mark scheme fo F585 June 2011? o.O

But but most universities allow one or two language modules to be incorporated :cry2: I'll email them if I decide to go.

Erm it's between Bath and taking a gap year so kindoff I guess! Wooo, looking at accommodation now?
    They said that you can take extra language modules and sit the papers, but the marks won't count towards your actual degree marks...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.