Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    Hmm yes I agree. It would be easier to choose Bath over Warwick, although we both got rejected by them so perhaps we just don't like them any more

I saw this post on another thread:

"Assign a university to each side of the coin and flip it; while the coin is in mid-air you will realise which side you want the coin to land on, and that is where you truly want to go"

Think I might have to try it...
    Using our game theory knowledge we can conclude that won't work; since flipping the coin isn't a credible enough threat to make you think about it deeply and make that snap decision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Using our game theory knowledge we can conclude that won't work; since flipping the coin isn't a credible enough threat to make you think about it deeply and make that snap decision
    How about the fact that Bath accommodation applications start on Monday and I won't get an ensuite bedroom if I don't decide soon?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm yes I agree. It would be easier to choose Bath over Warwick, although we both got rejected by them so perhaps we just don't like them any more

I saw this post on another thread:

"Assign a university to each side of the coin and flip it; while the coin is in mid-air you will realise which side you want the coin to land on, and that is where you truly want to go"

Think I might have to try it...
    :lol: my friend suggested this also. Except it was more, one the coin has landed do you like the decision it has made? If not, you have your answer there.

Gilt yields will affect the interest rates on all kinds of debt, their influence will depend on the term of the debt, associated risk and all kinds of other factors. They are basically one of the instruments that allows BoE interest rates to trickle through the market.
    Gilt yields are used to set all those things but How ?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How about the fact that Bath accommodation applications start on Monday and I won't get an ensuite bedroom if I don't decide soon?
    Pretty good motivator

(Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    Gilt yields are used to set all those things but How ?
    They aren't used to set them but they have an impact on them since the companies you are getting overdrafts with and mortgages with will buy and hold a lot of gilts so it influences the return they can get when yields change.

ReputationRep:
    They aren't used to set them but they have an impact on them since the companies you are getting overdrafts with and mortgages with will buy and hold a lot of gilts so it influences the return they can get when yields change.
    http://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2009...ney-the-answer But it says they are here :/ hmm I'll just ignore them then.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    http://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/2009...ney-the-answer But it says they are here :/ hmm I'll just ignore them then.
    When I say they are not used for setting them I meant to say they are not the only factor that determines rates on mortgages, overdrafts etc. Since each type of debt has different factors affecting it and different risks they require different pricing. Bond yields are a very important factor but not the only factor. Sorry for being confusing

ReputationRep:
    that's because its cambridge dont worry! Look at the units/options at NTU to see whether you like the sound of it.

As the main focus of your degree is Business Management the Economics side of things will be negligible and you'll probably only do the side of economics which is more relevant to business (that said I don't know anything about your course or NTU)

Economics is fun :love: (although I don't think you're going to get a neutral opinion on this thread)

Hope that helps.

Haha i love economics! i was going to do business management but since i did economics in A levels i fell deeply in love with it! so i did a joint degree

ReputationRep:
    Warwick vs. Nottingham

Straight Economics

what would you chose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mousebudden)
    Warwick vs. Nottingham

Straight Economics

what would you chose?
    Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick vs. Nottingham

Straight Economics

what would you chose?
    Warwick.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Warwick vs. Nottingham

Straight Economics

what would you chose?
    Warwick. The thing I don't like about either of those universities is location so that makes it easier

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to post here as I've had little replies off the thread I made.

What would you guys say is a more respected degree from Bristol

Economics and Mathematics
    Or
    Economics
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jacky23)

Or
    Economics
    No difference.

ReputationRep:

Or
    Economics
    I wouldn't have thought there would be too much difference. Choose based on which course you would actually prefer to study for 3 years, not whether on is more "respected" than the other.

ReputationRep:
    No difference.
    I wouldn't have thought there would be too much difference. Choose based on which course you would actually prefer to study for 3 years, not whether on is more "respected" than the other.

Oh right, I just heard from a few people that employers from big firms tend to cut down on the amount of straight economics graduates they have.

In terms of which one I would prefer to study, I'm really not that bothered and would happily study either, but would veer slightly to the econ+maths.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh right, I just heard from a few people that employers from big firms tend to cut down on the amount of straight economics graduates they have.

In terms of which one I would prefer to study, I'm really not that bothered and would happily study either, but would veer slightly to the econ+maths.
    Sounds like rubbish to me, and if they are cutting straight economics grads then studying it combined with maths probably won't make any difference. Straight economics always seems like the best one to go for as for all of the universities I have seen when it says Economics with >insert subject< all it does is remove all your optional modules and replace them with that subject. Whereas if you do straight economics you can opt to do whatever optional modules you want without constraint.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if LSE Visit day is worth going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WalkerPrince)
    Does anyone know if LSE Visit day is worth going to?
    Wouldn't it will help you on your decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee)
    Wouldn't it will help you on your decision?
    Some days like that are completely useless though, like UCL's open day for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WalkerPrince)
    Some days like that are completely useless though, like UCL's open day for example.
    I'm just going to see who'll be on the course next year and just get a feel for the general atmosphere. Doubt i'll find out something pivotal I didn't already know

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.