The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by Groat
I've seen LSE, Warwick and UCL.

Well LSE from the start made it clear their position in the financial centre of the world was a strong point. I just didn't get much from UCL: maybe that's because there were so many students, but sports and else were thin. I know you could argue the same about LSE, but at least you know LSE's position.

It's the price of the accommodation as well; I bet Nottingham was much cheaper! Did you look at the two in the open day book? The halls just felt like a shabby hotel.

On the Economics side I was impressed. I liked that the maths elements weren't too statistical unless taken as an option, and the fact you can take modules in other faculties is great. As you know I am quite interested in Maths and Computer Science, so UCL could offer that (LSE are similar in offering Law modules).

I just don't know whether a London university is for me. The academia is excellent, but prices and feel . . . Although one could argue London city offers the vibrant nature rather than the university. I don't think my maintenance loan would cover accommodation alone which is scary - I'm all up for taking loans, but when they don't even cover the costs it's worrying.

How did Warwick compare? The prices for accommodation were pretty much the same (for catered) and slightly more expensive for self-catered, but I thought they were going to be much higher considering the location.

I really like UCL, still considering whether LSE is going to be a realistic option. I need to choose two from LSE, Warwick, St. Andrews, Durham and York. Depending on how good my grades are.

If you didn't got for London unis (LSE or UCL) what would you replace them with? (because as I understand it your preliminary five universities included those two)
Reply 941
Original post by tateco
How did Warwick compare? The prices for accommodation were pretty much the same (for catered) and slightly more expensive for self-catered, but I thought they were going to be much higher considering the location.

I really like UCL, still considering whether LSE is going to be a realistic option. I need to choose two from LSE, Warwick, St. Andrews, Durham and York. Depending on how good my grades are.

If you didn't got for London unis (LSE or UCL) what would you replace them with? (because as I understand it your preliminary five universities included those two)

Having just looked at some of the UCL houses, I feel much better about accommodation. I just don't think halls are for me, there's not enough community feeling in my opinion. It was just a coincidence I guess that both on show were halls.

Warwick was completely different being a campus university. Much quieter, everything was within walking distance and a lot more grass. :colondollar:

Ah, you're thinking of St. Andrews and Durham too! Awesome. :eek:

I'm currently thinking Cambridge, Warwick, St. Andrews and then LSE, Durham, UCL, UCL L101, York, Exeter, Bath and Nottingham. I don't think I'll be put off London: I just need to let things soak in. :u:

The list just keeps getting longer. :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 942
Original post by Groat
Having just looked at some of the UCL houses, I feel much better about accommodation. I just don't think halls are for me, there's not enough community feeling in my opinion. It was just a coincidence I guess that both on show were halls.

Warwick was completely different being a campus university. Much quieter, everything was within walking distance and a lot more grass. :colondollar:

Ah, you're thinking of St. Andrews and Durham too! Awesome. :eek:

I'm currently thinking Cambridge, Warwick, St. Andrews and then LSE, Durham, UCL, UCL L101, York, Exeter, Bath and Nottingham. I don't think I'll be put off London: I just need to let things soak in. :u:

The list just keeps getting longer. :colone:

What are the houses like in terms of cost and the facilities they provide?

Was the accommodation at Warwick good? Do all the buildings look really terrible?

Yeah I really like the idea of St. Andrews, it looks like such a nice place, not sure how competitive it is, though. Woah, that is a long list. I don't really like the idea of Exeter because I think A*AA is a bit too high (even though it is relatively easy to get an offer), same for Nottingham.
Reply 943
Original post by tateco
What are the houses like in terms of cost and the facilities they provide?

Was the accommodation at Warwick good? Do all the buildings look really terrible?

Yeah I really like the idea of St. Andrews, it looks like such a nice place, not sure how competitive it is, though. Woah, that is a long list. I don't really like the idea of Exeter because I think A*AA is a bit too high (even though it is relatively easy to get an offer), same for Nottingham.

You can have a look at them here, a few feature virtual tours.

The buildings weren't beautiful like Cambridge and St. Andrews, but they weren't awful.

I believe St. Andrews offers AAA so that will be my insurance. :colone:

I still don't know whether I want to consider the L101 course at UCL. They make it such a difficult decision when they say they won't offer applicants places on L100 if they aren't right for the year abroad.

Having seen UCL today, it makes me want to go to Cambridge even more. :angelblush:
Reply 944
Original post by Groat
You can have a look at them here, a few feature virtual tours.

The buildings weren't beautiful like Cambridge and St. Andrews, but they weren't awful.

I believe St. Andrews offers AAA so that will be my insurance. :colone:

I still don't know whether I want to consider the L101 course at UCL. They make it such a difficult decision when they say they won't offer applicants places on L100 if they aren't right for the year abroad.

Having seen UCL today, it makes me want to go to Cambridge even more. :angelblush:

I thought the buildings at UCL were amazing, but I like city buildings like town houses and stuff so that's probably why.

Risky insurance :wink:

I was considering the L101 but it's probably the most competitive course ever so I can't afford to risk it.
Reply 945
Original post by tateco
I thought the buildings at UCL were amazing, but I like city buildings like town houses and stuff so that's probably why.

Risky insurance :wink:

I was considering the L101 but it's probably the most competitive course ever so I can't afford to risk it.

It depends what you define as an insurance: somewhere you're more likely to get an offer from or a set of grades you can make. :colone:
Reply 946
Original post by Groat
It depends what you define as an insurance: somewhere you're more likely to get an offer from or a set of grades you can make. :colone:

Offer from :tongue: I'm sure we're both pretty confident we can get A*AA, it's just the case of getting the offers!
Reply 947
Original post by tateco
Offer from :tongue: I'm sure we're both pretty confident we can get A*AA, it's just the case of getting the offers!

Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that. :eek:

Which day are you going to Cambridge?

You may interested in this regarding St. Andrews. I know it's two years old, but it should give a rough idea of competition. :u:
Reply 948
Original post by Groat
Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that. :eek:

Which day are you going to Cambridge?

You may interested in this regarding St. Andrews. I know it's two years old, but it should give a rough idea of competition. :u:

It's silly to be unrealistically modest :smile:

I'm going on the 8th, you?

Hmmm.. That does look quite competitive actually (Wonder if it was that competitive in the 15th Century, oh wait, economics didn't exist then) :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 949
Original post by tateco
It's silly to be unrealistically modest :smile:

I'm going on the 8th, you?

Hmmm.. That does look quite competitive actually (Wonder if it was that competitive in the 15th Century, oh wait, economics didn't exist then) :wink:

Yeah, I will be going on the Friday also. I know it's going to be awesome. :u:
Reply 950
Original post by Groat
Yeah, I will be going on the Friday also. I know it's going to be awesome. :u:

Just don't want to get my hopes up too much, not this year anyway.
Reply 951
Original post by tateco
Just don't want to get my hopes up too much, not this year anyway.

Yeah, it's difficult not to though in my opinion.

Deloitte applications open tomorrow. :colone:
Reply 952
Original post by Groat

I'll be registering for that and beginning to complete it tomorrow then :wink:
Original post by Groat
I've seen LSE, Warwick and UCL.

Well LSE from the start made it clear their position in the financial centre of the world was a strong point. I just didn't get much from UCL: maybe that's because there were so many students, but sports and else were thin. I know you could argue the same about LSE, but at least you know LSE's position.

It's the price of the accommodation as well; I bet Nottingham was much cheaper! Did you look at the two in the open day book? The halls just felt like a shabby hotel.

On the Economics side I was impressed. I liked that the maths elements weren't too statistical unless taken as an option, and the fact you can take modules in other faculties is great. As you know I am quite interested in Maths and Computer Science, so UCL could offer that (LSE are similar in offering Law modules).

I just don't know whether a London university is for me. The academia is excellent, but prices and feel . . . Although one could argue London city offers the vibrant nature rather than the university. I don't think my maintenance loan would cover accommodation alone which is scary - I'm all up for taking loans, but when they don't even cover the costs it's worrying.

LSE at their open day did say that they have many links to investment banking but simply because so many of their students want to do it. UCL students I presume aren't so focused on that so I think they probably didn't see the need to emphasise it.

As for St. Andrews have either of you gone there? I was considering it but from what I hear the place is very dull. It's a uni town like Cambridge but has very few students in comparison and apparently nights out can be a little boring.

My bro is at UCL atm, the accommodation isn't great but he's never really complained about it. 2nd years generally go rented and share with others so that's probably alright.

Any suggestions for an AAA which I'm likely to get an offer from (as an insurance)?
Reply 954
Original post by Psychotic546
LSE at their open day did say that they have many links to investment banking but simply because so many of their students want to do it. UCL students I presume aren't so focused on that so I think they probably didn't see the need to emphasise it.

As for St. Andrews have either of you gone there? I was considering it but from what I hear the place is very dull. It's a uni town like Cambridge but has very few students in comparison and apparently nights out can be a little boring.

My bro is at UCL atm, the accommodation isn't great but he's never really complained about it. 2nd years generally go rented and share with others so that's probably alright.

Any suggestions for an AAA which I'm likely to get an offer from (as an insurance)?

I understand your point, but I didn't feel there was any focus at UCL. At campus universities, you get a real community feel with the social-life, and at LSE there was the academic focus, as an example.

I have a friend who goes there and he says it's beautiful. I asked him about nights out and contrary to popular belief, there is plenty to do, just not as much as big cities such as London. I think that would suit my personality, anyway.

Where did your brother stay in the first year? Aren't the rented houses really expensive, though? What is he studying? :u:

York seems to be a great choice as an AAA university. I would argue Durham is also, but some would say it's very competitive.
Original post by Groat
I understand your point, but I didn't feel there was any focus at UCL. At campus universities, you get a real community feel with the social-life, and at LSE there was the academic focus, as an example.

I have a friend who goes there and he says it's beautiful. I asked him about nights out and contrary to popular belief, there is plenty to do, just not as much as big cities such as London. I think that would suit my personality, anyway.

Where did your brother stay in the first year? Aren't the rented houses really expensive, though? What is he studying? :u:

York seems to be a great choice as an AAA university. I would argue Durham is also, but some would say it's very competitive.

Hmm that's true. Then again I love Camden as a place so UCL would be brilliant. You'll have a close group of mates wherever you go although I see what you mean about campus unis.

Fair enough, I prefer when there's a lot more to do. My one main problem with campus unis is that there's always a limited amount to do. Cambridge for example, has 3(?) nightclubs and eventually that will be a drag for me (not that it would ever put me off). Obviously not an issue for everyone.

He stayed at Schafer House. They are quite expensive since it's Camden but if you share with 5/6 I'd imagine it wasn't too bad really.

Yeah I'm considering York. Don't think I'd like Durham really. I'm considering Glasgow, Exeter, York and perhaps Birmingham really. Which is your 'insurance'?

EDIT: He's doing Medicine
Reply 956
Original post by Groat

Applications for what kind of placement?
Reply 957
Original post by Psychotic546
Hmm that's true. Then again I love Camden as a place so UCL would be brilliant. You'll have a close group of mates wherever you go although I see what you mean about campus unis.

Fair enough, I prefer when there's a lot more to do. My one main problem with campus unis is that there's always a limited amount to do. Cambridge for example, has 3(?) nightclubs and eventually that will be a drag for me (not that it would ever put me off). Obviously not an issue for everyone.

He stayed at Schafer House. They are quite expensive since it's Camden but if you share with 5/6 I'd imagine it wasn't too bad really.

Yeah I'm considering York. Don't think I'd like Durham really. I'm considering Glasgow, Exeter, York and perhaps Birmingham really. Which is your 'insurance'?

EDIT: He's doing Medicine

I think that's what I have to remember. London universities don't offer the social-life, the city does as well as culture, etc. I agree, Camden is a lovely place!

My current thoughts are probably still Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and St. Andrews as my insurance.

Although if UCAS 2012 goes horribly wrong for me, I won't be too concerned as I'm planning to take a year out anyway.

Have you visited Exeter? What's it like?

Original post by zxh800
Applications for what kind of placement?

Unless I am mistaken, it's for the gap year scheme.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Groat
I think that's what I have to remember. London universities don't offer the social-life, the city does as well as culture, etc. I agree, Camden is a lovely place!

My current thoughts are probably still Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and St. Andrews as my insurance.

Although if UCAS 2012 goes horribly wrong for me, I won't be too concerned as I'm planning to take a year out anyway.

Have you visited Exeter? What's it like?

Hmm yeah fair enough, can't imagine St. A is particularly competitive (in terms of which unis we're looking at).

Ahh yeah you'll get an offer somewhere, LSE will love you xD Don't know what I'd do if I got no offer =/

Nope haven't visited it. Think I'll go more on hear say in regards to me insurance
Reply 959
In all the prospectuses I've seen, it's always sunny.. I think they're photoshopped because there's not a big chance of the weather being like that when your studying there from October to June :tongue: (well possibly June, but you know what I mean)

Latest

Trending

Trending