Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tateco)
    Sounds like rubbish to me, and if they are cutting straight economics grads then studying it combined with maths probably won't make any difference. Straight economics always seems like the best one to go for as for all of the universities I have seen when it says Economics with >insert subject< all it does is remove all your optional modules and replace them with that subject. Whereas if you do straight economics you can opt to do whatever optional modules you want without constraint.
    May be just a rumour, although with the number of people graduating with a degree in Economics now I can see it may be true. Plus given the chance to choose any option modules Ill probably move towards the mathematical ones anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I missed the LSE visit...a lie in seemed a good choice at the time... >_>

Is everyone with LSE offers firming or insurancing? That might give me a feel of how the day went
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    I missed the LSE visit...a lie in seemed a good choice at the time... >_>

Is everyone with LSE offers firming or insurancing? That might give me a feel of how the day went
    Where are you considering at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Where are you considering at the moment?
    Probably LSE. Like WalkerPrince says, the UCL visit day put me off the uni a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    Probably LSE. Like WalkerPrince says, the UCL visit day put me off the uni a little.
    If it helps, before the visit day I was 50/50 between LSE and Bath. After the visit day, my head hurts just thinking about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    If it helps, before the visit day I was 50/50 between LSE and Bath. After the visit day, my head hurts just thinking about it
    What do you mean? Didn't you like LSE?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of someone(s) who didn't get an offer from edinburgh despite getting predicted aab or more? (with similar AS's)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internet tough guy)
    Does anyone know of someone(s) who didn't get an offer from edinburgh despite getting predicted aab or more? (with similar AS's)
    I applied for Economics and Geography and got rejected (predicted A*AA, with AAAB at AS) Guess it was just a really competitive course, oh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlesworth)
    I applied for Economics and Geography and got rejected (predicted A*AA, with AAAB at AS) Guess it was just a really competitive course, oh well
    may i ask how you found writing an econ and geo ps and applying for land economy, are they very similar (my friend wants to apply)

ReputationRep:
    apparently they take into account 'contextual factors' , seems like it isn't so straight forward as having a great academic profile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    It's good, I just meant the visit day didn't help solve my dilemma
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Aren't you tempted by st. Andrews with the free fees?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    apparently they take into account 'contextual factors' , seems like it isn't so straight forward as having a great academic profile
    They openly favour disadvantaged students from poorly performing state schools

ReputationRep:
    They openly favour disadvantaged students from poorly performing state schools
    so are there alot of people (with stand-out grades) who didn't get an offer?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    so are there alot of people (with stand-out grades) who didn't get an offer?
    I have no idea, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamiepango)
    It's good, I just meant the visit day didn't help solve my dilemma
    Ah ok So when will you decide? I think we have time until May or something like that?

Aren't you tempted by st. Andrews with the free fees?
    A little bit, yes 27,000 pounds vs 0 pounds... And today the offer package arrived and it looked really good! But I think I'll stick to Warwick. Scottland is just too far away. I'll definetely put it as an insurance though. Have you firmed UCL already?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ah ok So when will you decide? I think we have time until May or something like that?

A little bit, yes 27,000 pounds vs 0 pounds... And today the offer package arrived and it looked really good! But I think I'll stick to Warwick. Scottland is just too far away. I'll definetely put it as an insurance though. Have you firmed UCL already?
    Yeah I would be really tempted, is such a beautiful place as well. No not yet, waiting to see what happens with the gap year stuff first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    may i ask how you found writing an econ and geo ps and applying for land economy, are they very similar (my friend wants to apply)
    I didn't really mention anything about land economy specifically. When you apply for Cambridge you fill in a form (forgotten its name!) which gives you a space to write a more specific personal statement and reason why you want to specifically do the course. Cambridge understand that the PS would not be targeted specifically for land economy as it is a unique degree. Hope that is of some use

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really mention anything about land economy specifically. When you apply for Cambridge you fill in a form (forgotten its name!) which gives you a space to write a more specific personal statement and reason why you want to specifically do the course. Cambridge understand that the PS would not be targeted specifically for land economy as it is a unique degree. Hope that is of some use
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, there are definitely a much wider range of factors taken into account apart from academics, such as the PS, references and like you said contextual factors.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 4, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.