The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9760
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Ah I just saw your KPMG post, thought you'd firmed Durham or something

Van Mildert :tongue:

:lol: I don't think employers favour firsts over 2:1s when recruiting, or so they say it seems to be just a requirement but I know! 85-90% for most of them with the exception of Cambridge which had a good year.

:/ hmm cant find that spreadsheet from ages ago which listed the average starting salary of econ grads by university.... oh well

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1765/econsal.png :eek: I forgot about this

That data doesn't tend to be very accurate as not everyone responds, but it's still a pretty good guide!
:lol: I'm not on both counts. Timbuktu is just such a great place ya see. Who wouldn't want to live there :wink:

ahh so wait... are you actually joining the navy? Not sure if you're serious there.

I would certainly not want to live in Timbuktu. London and me go hand in hand.
Of course I'm not
Funny how economics is one of the only subjects where people who applied to it are genuinely interested in it. Never see anyone reading biochem magazines :colone:

Original post by crazy1234
No idea, i haven't sent the references off yet...

Which offices are you at?

London
Err I think you should probably send them your references soon... shouldn't they have been sent when you accepted the contract (though admittedly I didn't do that, so there probably isn't a strict rule)
Ah I just saw your KPMG post, thought you'd firmed Durham or something

Van Mildert :tongue:

:lol: I don't think employers favour firsts over 2:1s when recruiting, or so they say it seems to be just a requirement but I know! 85-90% for most of them with the exception of Cambridge which had a good year.

:/ hmm cant find that spreadsheet from ages ago which listed the average starting salary of econ grads by university.... oh well

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1765/econsal.png :eek: I forgot about this

Wow Cambridge is like miles ahead :eek:
Original post by nightmare91

:yes: :cry2: probably skewed by contacts/already rich folk? but LSE isn't far off! I guess seeing as most of them go into finance etc which has a high starting salary that's probably why

Congratulations on Warwick! :h: (I saw Chiara's post?) I didn't know the arbitur was so early

Original post by Tomatochuckers
I would certainly not want to live in Timbuktu. London and me go hand in hand.
Of course I'm not
Funny how economics is one of the only subjects where people who applied to it are genuinely interested in it. Never see anyone reading biochem magazines :colone:

London
Err I think you should probably send them your references soon... shouldn't they have been sent when you accepted the contract (though admittedly I didn't do that, so there probably isn't a strict rule)

:lol: I gave up following economic news for a while but that's because biochemistry doesn't have sexy graphics like daily chart :sexface: hmmm (i dont care that they renamed it graphical detail, sore wounds)

but I'm sure there are some econ students who aren't interesting in it! and are just in it for the money/IB

Oh! you worked for KPMG this year? What did you do?

On a side note, voting for the 20th season awards... hmm best match. What's this about 8-2 :colone:

kidding. I'm not a gloryhunter
:yes: :cry2: probably skewed by contacts/already rich folk? but LSE isn't far off! I guess seeing as most of them go into finance etc which has a high starting salary that's probably why

Congratulations on Warwick! :h: (I saw Chiara's post?) I didn't know the arbitur was so early

Yea I've kind of made my offer already. I still have one exam to go which is my economics oral exam. But I know I'll rock that :cool: And I still got my A Level exams but they aren't included in my offer so it doesn't really matter what grades I'll get. Still I want to do really well in them so the next 6 weeks are going to be stressful! How is revision going for you? And are you reapplying? If yes, what unis? Probably not the same ones right? :tongue:
Oxford's low number is surprising.

Never did think much of that course though :colone:
Hye can I ask people who applied this year did you have to arrange work experience for economics to show your interest dedication etc.. and if so what are the usual type of economic work experiences? any help would be much appreciated
Reply 9767
Original post by nightmare91

And somehow Portsmouth is above Exeter :tongue:
Reply 9768
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Hye can I ask people who applied this year did you have to arrange work experience for economics to show your interest dedication etc.. and if so what are the usual type of economic work experiences? any help would be much appreciated

I did have work experience.
My advice would be get work experience in the field you want to work in, then link that field of work to economics.
so it's more
work experience ==> Future job/interests <== Economics degree
rather than
Work experience ==> Economics degree

Hope you get that
Reply 9769
Original post by JuKaMy
My advice would be get work experience in the field you want to work in, then link that field of work to economics.
so it's more
rather than

Hope you get that

Good advice.

but I'm sure there are some econ students who aren't interesting in it! and are just in it for the money/IB

Oh! you worked for KPMG this year? What did you do?

On a side note, voting for the 20th season awards... hmm best match. What's this about 8-2 :colone:

kidding. I'm not a gloryhunter

Yeah but I'd say that most people who were in it for IB still enjoyed economics.

Nope. Hoping to in October though, just need my references to be fine and we're all set.

Arsenal have proven people wrong so many times this season. I hope they don't lose concentration but the loss of Arteta is a potential problem.
Arsenal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> most clubs including Totten****e and Chelski

Original post by WalkerPrince
Oxford's low number is surprising.

Never did think much of that course though :colone:

Yeah well I never thought much of you.... *sneer face*
(Oh no he didn't)

Original post by Tateco
Good advice.

Tateco has spoken
The day I contribute a useful post to this thread.... :moon:
Original post by crazy1234
Dw i agree with you about the location thing, Durham was so much nicer then Nottingham. Even the people at Durham were a lot of fun to be around (probably skewed by getting to stay the night at the college but still).

I just read that you went for Trev. College, it's known to be a friendly college so it's not surprising you fell in love with it! I'll be St Hild Bede College if I get into Durham, fingers crossed I get the grades first.
Original post by Tomatochuckers

London

Lol probably should :smile: Oh and just checked through my emails again, and I did get a reply after accepting the contract, just saying they will be in touch later about starting dates etc.
Original post by JuKaMy
so it's more
rather than

Hope you get that

Thanks for the advice yh I understand it..but an economics degree can lead to so many things hard time having to pick one.. Congratulations on your offer, may I ask where you are hoping to end up career wise?
Reply 9775
I still haven't decided what to firm! :P
I'm not sure what to choose from Bath, Nottingham and Warwick...

I actually like Bath and Nottingham more than Warwick...

Will I be missing much if I don't choose Warwick??
Also does anyone have any input on the decision between Bath and Nottingham? :biggrin:

Hope someone can help :smile:
Original post by Amyk94

Also does anyone have any input on the decision between Bath and Nottingham? :biggrin:

> inb4 every1 says Warwick is better for Investment Banking (IB)

I reckon Bath and Nottingham Economics course is good enough for IB. I'd imagine the small number of those who do break into the industry from those unis study economics. However Warwick will obviously give you the better chance.

For those who might think entirely different to my 1st statement, hear me out

Before people start raging cos I've gone against the common view on tsr. IMO the conclusion of the top 6 bias just comes from the average quality of the students there (explanation). For instance, by scrolling through the subject league tables and looking at the average UCAS points you'll see the average Bath/Notts economist will have v.similar UCAS points as an LSE Geography student. All things being equal such as EC's, grades and WE they should stand as good a chance as each other if they're both competent right? (Assuming both courses are as rigorous as each other)

There's increased prospects as a whole in general comparing Warwick with the other two. So that's what you'll be missing out on really, that and a campus that's secluded.

The difference between Bath and Nottingham prospect wise is effectively zero unless your planning on doing that year in industry which will be beneficial.

If you're deciding between Bath and Notts look at factors such as cost of living, social life, towns, societies etc. choose the one you think you'd enjoy most.
Reply 9777
Original post by funkydee
> inb4 every1 says Warwick is better for Investment Banking (IB)

I reckon Bath and Nottingham Economics course is good enough for IB. I'd imagine the small number of those who do break into the industry from those unis study economics. However Warwick will obviously give you the better chance.

For those who might think entirely different to my 1st statement, hear me out

Before people start raging cos I've gone against the common view on tsr. IMO the conclusion of the top 6 bias just comes from the average quality of the students there (explanation). For instance, by scrolling through the subject league tables and looking at the average UCAS points you'll see the average Bath/Notts economist will have v.similar UCAS points as an LSE Geography student. All things being equal such as EC's, grades and WE they should stand as good a chance as each other if they're both competent right? (Assuming both courses are as rigorous as each other)

There's increased prospects as a whole in general comparing Warwick with the other two. So that's what you'll be missing out on really, that and a campus that's secluded.

The difference between Bath and Nottingham prospect wise is effectively zero unless your planning on doing that year in industry which will be beneficial.

If you're deciding between Bath and Notts look at factors such as cost of living, social life, towns, societies etc. choose the one you think you'd enjoy most.

Hey thanks for the advice :smile:

I'm not really interested in going into IB, so Warwick giving me a better chance doesn't really matter much :tongue:

In terms of going into post-graduate study, does anyone know if any of the 3 unis differ in the opportunities of getting into a good post-grad uni (possibly abroad).
Like are any of the courses preferred, or are the opportunities pretty similar and just based on the undergraduate degree class?
Reply 9778
Original post by Amyk94

I'm in the same predicament, but I have to choose between Bath and Bristol!

For all 3 uni's, I believe they are campus uni's (I know Bath and Notts are) and so everything you'll need is basically on campus. For Bath, it's a very good university and the university itself looks very modern. It's sport facilities are amazing and it has quite a wide range of societies so there is something from everyone from what I've been told. The city itself looks amazing and coming from London, it is a nice change in scenery. It's also a very safe city to be in too. The city is small, but it has more or less everything you need in terms of shops. The nightlife is decent, there are more pubs than clubs in Bath, but there are still some pretty decent clubs around such as XL, Second Bridge, Weir Lounge. Also the university has socials to Bristol now and then (Bristol is about 15 mins away from Bath and you can also go to Cabot Circus there if you want to go shopping).

That's about it from Bath, I can't really speak for much the other two apart from that Warwick students go to Coventry or Leamington Spa for nights out and accommodation for their 2nd and 3rd years. Warwick's one of those places that you either love or hate from what I've been told, but yeah.. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 9779
Original post by Amyk94

I applied to Nottingham, Bath and Warwick and if I had those three offers I honestly think I would have chosen Bath, I just don't like Warwick :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending