The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tooambitious
pfff :rolleyes:, some people are just lucky enough to hae teacherss who ram this importance down their throat i suppose

:lol: I didn't really think they were important in the long run but it's more how you're doing relative to your peers. Quite a few unis use the contextual data which is available through this other channel or something I know Bristol and Oxford are but not sure about the others :tongue:

Oh! and consider applying abroad where it may be cheaper depending on your financial circumstances. The Ivy's and Liberal Arts Colleges in America are very generous! (well the need-blind ones anyway)

Also Rotterdam + other European ones :tongue: but studying abroad isn't for everyone I guess.
Original post by Brand New Eyes
:lol: I didn't really think they were important in the long run but it's more how you're doing relative to your peers. Quite a few unis use the contextual data which is available through this other channel or something I know Bristol and Oxford are but not sure about the others :tongue:

Oh! and consider applying abroad where it may be cheaper depending on your financial circumstances. The Ivy's and Liberal Arts Colleges in America are very generous! (well the need-blind ones anyway)

Also Rotterdam + other European ones :tongue: but studying abroad isn't for everyone I guess.

i have been considering abroad, but im not sure if i can be bthered with extra exams (i.e. SATs) but i suppose ill see how things go this summer really :smile:
Reply 9822
Original post by jamiepango
Bath. Try and get your work placement abroad. Sorted :colone:

Original post by Tateco
They are both so even that I think going with Bath will give you the opportunity to get in with the big companies which are likely to have opportunities abroad.

Thanks guys, I'll definetly give it some thought.

Also, what do you all think of these rankings? http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics
Original post by Hemzo

Also, what do you all think of these rankings? http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Economics

Hmm I don't know... Cambridge 3rd place behind Oxford? I think Cambridge has the best Economics department when it comes to undergraduate studies. I don't kknow the website's criteria but this ranking might be based on postgraduate studies? Then it would make sense to me. But as we all know, don't trust rankings. It's hard to measure quality since universities are so different from each other.
Original post by Tateco
Ah sounds confusing, well done though! I did go for en suite in the end, I did quite well out of student finance grants so decided to treat myself. Saying that, it is my first preference so I might end up not getting it, that's no big deal though :smile:

Thanks :smile: unfortunately I won't be able to receive any grants at all because I am not a British citizen (although it's only fair, why should I get your taxpayers' money as a foreigner? :biggrin: ) so I will depend on my parents. But my father promised me that I'll get an en suite if I get a job or something unless I get allocated to a shared one. When I stayed at Oxford I had to share a bathroom with 6 people and it was okay. I suppose it depends on the people that you share it with :tongue:
Reply 9825
Original post by Hemzo

I wouldn't take much notice of them, especially if you look along the right hand side, from 6th-16th the overall score differs by less than 5 points, shows how close they are really!

Original post by nightmare91
Thanks :smile: unfortunately I won't be able to receive any grants at all because I am not a British citizen (although it's only fair, why should I get your taxpayers' money as a foreigner? :biggrin: ) so I will depend on my parents. But my father promised me that I'll get an en suite if I get a job or something unless I get allocated to a shared one. When I stayed at Oxford I had to share a bathroom with 6 people and it was okay. I suppose it depends on the people that you share it with :tongue:

Ah I'm sure you'll manage, having an en suite is no big deal anyway, just an extra luxury!
Reply 9826
Original post by Hemzo

This table put my Insurance above my Firm. Quite depressing :coma:

I don't know if I should apply again next year. Depends on grades I guess. I thought I was smart enough to get into a university of my choice but I feel like I have failed :dots:
Reply 9827

All the LSE Cambridge-rejects are chuckling to themselves :ahee:
Original post by Yash13

I don't know if I should apply again next year. Depends on grades I guess. I thought I was smart enough to get into a university of my choice but I feel like I have failed :dots:

Well don't read into it too much, they vary yearly. And im sure the vast majority of people would've gone to Oxbridge over LSE regardless of what the table says.

Personally the only two important figures are graduate prospects (to an extent) and entry standards!
Reply 9829
Original post by funkydee
Well don't read into it too much, they vary yearly. And im sure the vast majority of people would've gone to Oxbridge over LSE regardless of what the table says.

Personally the only two important figures are graduate prospects (to an extent) and entry standards!

Graduate prospects isn't reliable, the figures on that table also differs from official figures from the university which seems stupid. I agree entry standards is quite a good indicator
Is anyone going to the Warwick departmental open day tomorrow ?
Reply 9831
Original post by Yash13

Basically what Tat and Funky have said, it doesn't change the fact that they have strong relations with employers like the BoE, Morgan Stanley, Ernst & Young etc :smile:

This year's table seems really distorted. I don't think Exeter or Edinburgh are better universities than Bath tbh
Original post by vinchenzo25
Is anyone going to the Warwick departmental open day tomorrow ?

yes.

Tomorrow night I will finally decide on my firm and insurance :L
Original post by Moiraclaire
yes.

Same for me! This may be me panicking but did you get a confirmation when you booked it online? It starts at 2 right ?
yes.

You haven't decided yet? I thought you wanted to go to UCL. Did you go to the UCL Open Day?
You haven't decided yet? I thought you wanted to go to UCL. Did you go to the UCL Open Day?

I did and I love UCL, this is just to be sure really.

Same for me! This may be me panicking but did you get a confirmation when you booked it online? It starts at 2 right ?

There were 2 emails. one with a plan for the day. another Just saying "Thank you for accepting our invitation to attend an open day in the Department of Economics at the University of Warwick on Wednesday 25th April 2012. You will be sent another e-mail nearer the time that will detail further instructions for you to follow on the day. In the mean time please familiarise yourself with the below information."
I did and I love UCL, this is just to be sure really.

There were 2 emails. one with a plan for the day. another Just saying "Thank you for accepting our invitation to attend an open day in the Department of Economics at the University of Warwick on Wednesday 25th April 2012. You will be sent another e-mail nearer the time that will detail further instructions for you to follow on the day. In the mean time please familiarise yourself with the below information."

I wonder why I never got that ! I hope my booking has gone through !
I wonder why I never got that ! I hope my booking has gone through !

Even if not, it's not a big deal. Nobody will check on you :wink:
Even if not, it's not a big deal. Nobody will check on you :wink:

I know - it's not like i'm sneaking in without an offer :tongue:
Reply 9839
Can anyone help me choose between Bristol and nottingham for straight economics. i am really confused
thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending